Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Leveling a car...
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2013, 09:51 AM
Gotta love a turbo!

Last journal entry: Body on Frame today.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by panhead1961 View Post
I think you are on the right track by using the rocker panels for a reference point. Are you building the frame? That is one SWEET car by the way! One of my favs!!
Thanks, it was on my short list and available at the right time.

The whole point of this thread was to FIND a spot or spots on the car where I could determine "what is" level fore/aft. As stated, the door sills are a compromise that pretty much averages out all the other places I tried.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearheadslife View Post
wasn't try'n to be a wise-a
but I've seen to many of those stands fold..
and frankly..
if you trust the rot so much why the stands. and vic-a-verca??
if you can stand on the tube running from one rot to the other and it moves more than an inch.. it's not as strong as you think
the one I used was 1/4" thick tube 3" and the other tube that when into it was 1/4" 2.5"
1" tube ..???
good luck be safe..
No sweat! After working as a refinery "grunt" for 35 years, I was continually beat over the head with "safety first" numerous times every working day. Safety is my middle name! Besides that, having a blown out back makes me think of every move I make before making it. The rot has a degree or two of slop where the pin fits in the headstock, which makes the car rotate a bit when crawling around in it. I wanted the jack supports so it would not move even 1/64" when crawling in it. I've actually crawled around inside (a different car) without the stringers in place, just using the end pieces, and didn't feel in danger. On this one, the front mount is very solid but the rear needs 2 more support bars before I'd even consider removing the stringers.

Russ