lift blocks - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2005, 08:17 PM
ThE AnTi-RiCe

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

lift blocks

I dont know if any of you guys would have an answer on this because its more 4x4 oriented but is it possible to make my own lift blocks to go inbetween my leaf springs and axles rather than paying $300+ for something I can build myself. I'm only planning on lifting it maybe 2 or 3 inches if that makes any kind of a difference. If somebody does have an idea about this could you please leave me some detailed instructions or send me a PM or somethin. thanks.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2005, 11:50 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

There is nothing sacred about riser blocks. Really very simple technology. here is a photo of how I made some for the Chevy 10 bolt in my '53 Chevy pickup. I made them out of 4" x1 3/4" rectangular tubing, welded end caps in the tubes, and notched them to fit around the axle tubes. I had my spring shop bend up some custom U-bolts and bolted the whole mess to the springs. Be sure to drill 1/2" holes in the blocks to accept the spring center bolt. This also serves to index the axle to the spring and insure it is in there straight. You can drill the holes in the center or toward one end to adjust the axle in the wheel well. Now lightly tighten the U-bolt nuts and rotate the axle until the angle of the U-joint flange is parallel to the one on the output of the tranny. When that is done, weld the blocks to the axle tube with them bolted in place and everything should be perfect.

I always up-size the U-bolts when installing risers due to the added stress on them. For example, if the stock U-bolts are 7/16" I make the new ones 1/2".

The risers I made for the front of my Willys 60s style gasser are not welded to the axle so I had to weld a 1/2" rod stub in a hole in the bottom of the block to index it in the corresponding hole in the axle. I made them of 1 3/4" x 3" channel iron with boxing plates welded all round since I wanted sharp square edges on all corners. Also, I up-sized the bolts from 5/16" to 3/8".

Here is another Willys gasser with the method taken to extremes!

Old 04-18-2005, 06:48 AM

Last photo:

Speedway sells U-bolts w/lowering blks for around $20 for both springs.The U-bolts are worth that.....Don
Old 04-19-2005, 07:35 PM
Do the right thing...

If you are set on building them, then remember this. DON'T STACK BLOCKS! A friend of mine's friend did this on his truck that was lifted 12", and guess what? The lower blocks went flying after hitting a huge pothole head on, which wrecked his front suspension and gave him a severe case of whiplash.
Old 04-19-2005, 10:08 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncoII88
If you are set on building them, then remember this. DON'T STACK BLOCKS! A friend of mine's friend did this on his truck that was lifted 12!QUOT!, and guess what? The lower blocks went flying after hitting a huge pothole head on, which wrecked his front suspension and gave him a severe case of whiplash.
Great point. I never would have thought of doing that so didn't think of warning against it!!!!!! That is one of the reasons to up-size the U-bolts too.
Old 04-20-2005, 02:12 PM
Do the right thing...

Personally I hate lift blocks. I just don't trust them. They will also cause spring wrap and ruin the springs after a while. I like getting new springs that are arched for the desired lift. This gives you a better ride, and are safer.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.