Lifter failure? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2006, 10:01 AM

Last journal entry: Future Plans
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Lifter failure?

Ok well the 406 was acting a little strange when you word start it up and was sluggish at times, i thought this was due to heat so i put a new 3 row rad and a litre of water wetter and that dropped the temp at least 10-15degrees making it run at no more than 195ish on a very hot day.

Now i could hear a bit of a "tick" which i thought was the valves so one day we decided to have a look. Well we pulled the valve cover and you could visually see what looked like to be about 3 studs were "raised" which i thought was due to pulling 7k shifts. Anyways we pulled the rocker arms to investigate and to find that that 7 tips of the pushrods on the rocker arm side were decapitated and smashed which damaged the rockers.

So now i bought a set of comp magnums and a set of roller tips to upgrade from the cheap proforms thinking that maybe the cheap pushrods were just defective or something.

now yesterday... set the pushrods in, get the rockers on and go to adjust the valves well... i set the first one and it seemed kinda weird like some bind or something that just wasn't right but it was still shooting lots of oil so i move to the next and this is where i felt sick, go to adjust the valve and it feels really wrong so then i look at the rocker which is way down and notice th pushrod at least 1" from the rocker tip ***??? so we kill the motor and i put a light on it to see through a casting hole in the head that the head of the lifter was sitting in the valley, ok so now im PO'd off so we pull the intake to learn that 6 of the lifters were F&*^(^. Looks like 6 retainers let go and the little "hats" were cocked sideways So now im wondering what the csi members of hotrodders can maybe solve.

The valvetrain was all crower and they were a anti pump up lifter, only cheap parts were proform pushrods. also got a set of comps anti pump ups on order

thanks for the long read but i really need some feedback
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2006, 10:22 AM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:

I believe you are correct. Your damage is rpm related. You over-revved your valve train.

What type of lifter plunger retainers are in those lifters? Round wire or internal snap rings.
I bet it is round wire and you ran into lifter pump up at high rpm that pushed the lifter guts right out of the shells.

Certainly push rod flex could have been a problem. RPMs above 6000 demand stiffer high rpm pushrods.

The pushrod/rocker arm damage is rpm/lift related. I would suggest that you investigate if your stock type rocker arms are hitting the end of the pivot slot or if the valve keepers are hitting the valve guide. You should also thoroughly check the camshaft, it is probably fragged also.

The valve train is the singular most important parts of any engine. It is not the place to try to save a few bucks.

You were going to just slap in new pushrods and rocker arms? What was your intentions for all the "damaged metal" that is floating inside that engine?

www.readershotrods.com
Old 07-23-2006, 10:41 AM

Last journal entry: Future Plans
Last photo:

Well im positive that this probably happened last year at the races when my slushbox would slip 1000rpm between shifts. But i have drove it hard alot after that and its never ever made any noises/sounds that sounded unhealthy and the dam thing still pulls just as hard as day 1. This years races are 3 weeks away and im going to get it back together and just beat it. worse comes to worse and it needs to be rebuilt im going to build a much more wicked motor

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.