Hot Rod Forum banner

lifters

1K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  beertracker 
#1 ·
just a quick question on how to remove lifters that are stuck in the bore (im assuming because there is sludge on the base of them) without ruining them

#2 ·
Use a piece of wood dowel, 1/2" or 3/4" diameter, maybe 24" long. Place the end of the dowel on the lifter and tap it out with a hammer. Have your buddy catch it before it falls to the concrete floor. Keep a record of which lifter came out of which lifter bore. You must reassemble them in the hole they came out of and on the very same cam to be assured everything will live. Some fellows have successfully assembled used lifters on new camshafts, but I never had any luck doing it.

Also, just a heads-up. If you buy new lifters with the new cam, get the lifters from the cam grinder who is supplying the cam to you. Buying "white box, no-name" lifters is asking for trouble.

#5 ·
badknuckles said:
just a quick question on how to remove lifters that are stuck in the bore (im assuming because there is sludge on the base of them) without ruining them
If the engine is together and installed in the vehicle there probably is no way to salvage the lifters. There used to be a tool made that was essentially a slide hammer with a fitting to lock into the plunger's retainer groove. Aside from adding a lot of sweat to the oil, I've never had anything like success with this tool. In the end it was grip the top of the lifter with Vise Grips, using it to retain a pry bar to get enough leverage to force the lifter out.

Bogie

#6 ·
sorry for the lack of information, the engine is in the car i am doing a cam swap. they are healthy roller lifters so i am trying not to jack them up. it is not sludge holding them in i got a few out, they are just really difficult to pull out for whatever reason.

#10 ·
I too am looking for suggestions on how to remove a stuck lifter. The engine is in the car. Head and headers are installed so I don't think the lifter removal tool will work due to head interference? I don't want to pull the cam.

I removed the hydraulic lifters several weeks ago and converted one of them to solid with epoxy. The epoxy cured for 24 hours. The lifter dropped back in place and I performed push rod length measurements. Next I tried to remove the lifter and it won't come up far enough to clear the casting. It moves up and down like a normal lifter does.

I have tried a pry bar with a 1) clevis tightened around the lifter top and 2) hose clamp around lifter. In both cases the tool slid up the lifter body. Penetrating oil and rotating with vise grips doesn't work either. Any ideas? If I can't get the lifter out my project is dead. :pain:

bt

#12 ·
I had this once on a camshaft swap. I pulled the lifters up till they were stuck in the bore, removed the camshaft and inserted a lenght of angle iron in the camshaft bore. I then carefully, with help, pushed the lifters back in and dropped them on onto the angle iron using a long magnet, or probably 2 magnets, one on top and one through the bore to manuver the lifter out very carfully. Good luck.

#13 ·
Success!!!

Good news, the lifter is out. Strange thing is I didn't see any epoxy on the lifter or the lifter well. The lifter well was dry and had a grayish powder on the walls. Perhaps this was old degraded oil residue or the epoxy was ground to powder?

I will clean up the lifter well and spin the engine over a few times just to make sure oil is getting to the lifter well.

My removal technique was vise grips, clevis, pry bar, heat gun and side to side rotation with a little lube.

BT :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.