Lifts - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2004, 07:34 AM
First name...............Shawn

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Lifts

Those here who have 4 post lifts, Id like some info. What brand do you have? What are the pro's and con's? Are you happy with your lift?

I am looking to buy a 4 post lift for my shop. In particular, I remember seeing some that come with wheels so you can easily move it around the shop. Mobility is a must for my shop. Thanks for the info.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2004, 08:24 PM

My friend has one. Yes they are nice. But i would rather have the 2 post kind that supports the frame. Because you can do undercarriage work and you can do tire changes..rearend drops..etc..with the 4-post you can't do any tire changes or anything like that.

-Eric
Old 03-14-2004, 08:50 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by Erk
My friend has one. Yes they are nice. But i would rather have the 2 post kind that supports the frame. Because you can do undercarriage work and you can do tire changes..rearend drops..etc..with the 4-post you can't do any tire changes or anything like that.

-Eric
you know, they do make 4 post lifts with jacks so you can do all of the things you listed.
Old 03-15-2004, 06:54 AM
First name...............Shawn

Last photo:

Like i said, it MUST be portable so a 2 post lift is out of the question. Plus, i own an upholstery business, so we generally arent changing tires or doing suspension work.

Anyone else have one?

Like i said, it MUST be portable so a 2 post lift is out of the question. Plus, i own an upholstery business, so we generally arent changing tires or doing suspension work.
Old 03-15-2004, 06:55 AM
or Jeff, or Doc, or...

Last journal entry: Results of the Camaro
Last photo:

I orded an M-80 Autolifters lift. Should be here in about 3 weeks ! I chose this one over the Backyard Buddy because of price. They are virtually the same, except the M-80 has a better retainer for the slider blocks.
IMO, there are only 2 choices for a 4 post lift. Autolifter and Back Yard Buddy (BYB). All the rest are formed sheetmetal. I can't justify risking my life for less than $1,000.00 (China lift) difference. You can find the crap lifts on EBAY for $1,800.00. Every time I cut corners, I always end up selling the POS and buying what I SHOULD have bought the first time.
The Autolifter and BYB both have the wheels available as an extra. They also have sliding jack trays, drip pans, center section fillers, etc. I've spent about 4 months looking for what I wanted. I even considered building one.
Good luck in your search !

Jeff
Old 03-15-2004, 08:04 AM

A couple of good four posts lifts are the Revolution 4 post and I also like the Backyard Buddy. Both offer the 4 post ability to work on or safely store an extra vehicle. As for tire changes and wheel work, each lift does offer a jack tray to support the vehicle on bottle jacks for these types of operations. Backyard Buddy even has a hydralic jack option to make this easier. Both have caster options for mobility. If you want the hoist for working on cars alone, I would recommend a mid rise lift from Revolution. It stores flat and only needs 5" of clearance, so you can park right over it. The hydralic unit is also a dolly to move the lift to where you need it. I have used these lifts and find them to be excellent. I know Stinger also make lifts, although I have not used one and have only seen it at trade shows. Hope this gives you some options, so check out their websites for more information.
Old 03-15-2004, 07:58 PM

I bought mine from these guys.
http://www.americanautomotiveequipment.com
Couldn't be happier. They gave good service.
The major manufacturer of ALMOST ALL of the less expensive american lifts is Eagle located in Joshua, Texas. I bought the lightweight ramps since I have a freind with the regular ones and they are a real pain in the Arse. Also bought 3 drip trays. With shipping it was just over $2,400.00.
When it came into the freight depot the receipt came from BEND PAK. Seems that they just substituted the BEND PAK one instead since Eagle makes both. They are a good quality lift. I have read some horror stories about people dropping cars off lifts, etc. You just need to be careful!! When I was younger, I worked in a full service garage for about 5 years. Watched 2 cars come off the center post lifts in that time. Most times it's just lack of attention. On the 4 post lifts, the cables must be adjusted regularly.
The optional wheel kit is in the $200-300 dollar range. Just make sure you have enough ceiling height. I have 10' ceilings and really want another 3'. I bolted mine to the floor and am glad I did. It just gives me a feeling of security. When doing brakework,etc. use a bottlejack to lift the car, and put jackstands on the sliding crossbeam of the lift. Just make sure to keep an ample selection of bottlejacks around since you do not have alot of room and need as much jack as you can fit.
Old 03-16-2004, 06:18 PM

Last photo:

I have a Superlift, and love it. But i think i would buy another brand next time. Only thing i don't like is the stops and locks, are welded on. Your trusting somebody else's welds. Also the frist lock is 18" off the ground and the next height is 33".
Backyard buddy has them every 6" all the way up.
Old 03-16-2004, 08:15 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by akm
you know, they do make 4 post lifts with jacks so you can do all of the things you listed.
Plus 4 post lifts are much safer than 2 post ones that just lift the frame. I have seen far too many vehicles fall off the 2 posts, one of them was when I was younger and I nearly was pinned between the wall and my dads f-250. That scared me away from them for a long time. We have a built in frame lift at work, I wont use it now cause Im scared to death of them now.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.