light problems - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2013, 01:49 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

light problems

having strange things happen when i turn on my lights to my 73 gran torino. my right turn signal turns on my hazards (left one works fine) and they both dont work if the headlights are on. reverse lights don't work either. got a new turn signal harness in the column does the same thing.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2013, 02:21 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxx View Post
having strange things happen when i turn on my lights to my 73 gran torino. my right turn signal turns on my hazards (left one works fine) and they both dont work if the headlights are on. reverse lights don't work either. got a new turn signal harness in the column does the same thing.
Does holding your hand on your head and sticking your tongue halfway out make it work? Just kidding.
You have two choices. Get all the equipment required to troubleshoot the systems with a wiring diagram or yank everything out and install a new wiring harness from one of the aftermarket suppliers. Maybe someone else on this site has had the same experience with their car and can offer better advice than I can. I hate electrical problems.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:32 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Always remember this.. 99% of the time when lights are doing crazy things on a car.. It's usually a bad ground some wheres...

Check to see if you have a light shocket that the bulb is in wrong... I built a car for a friend that was have a crazy thing gone on with the lights.. I asked him if he changed a bulb on the car,, He didn't remember if he did...

So I started checking things out,, Pulled the cover off the tail lights and the shocket inside the housing had turned inside.. Making the bulb make the wrong contact inside,, Made the lights go nut's.. Was a easy fix.. And I was lucky to find it within 15 Mins...

electrical problems sometimes can take hours to trouble shoot... But when things are going crazy,,, I check grounds FIRST...

Might be time to doing a wiring job... Takes about a day to do one with the all the new kits today..
The Following User Says Thank You to NEW INTERIORS For This Useful Post:
John long (01-10-2013)
Old 01-10-2013, 02:42 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Start with NewInteriors advice. 95% of the time his advise will be right. I have also run across double socket tail lights making incorrect contact in the socket but usually it is a simple ground issue as he says.

John L
Old 01-10-2013, 02:46 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEW INTERIORS View Post
Always remember this.. 99% of the time when lights are doing crazy things on a car.. It's usually a bad ground some wheres...

Check to see if you have a light shocket that the bulb is in wrong... I built a car for a friend that was have a crazy thing gone on with the lights.. I asked him if he changed a bulb on the car,, He didn't remember if he did...

So I started checking things out,, Pulled the cover off the tail lights and the shocket inside the housing had turned inside.. Making the bulb make the wrong contact inside,, Made the lights go nut's.. Was a easy fix.. And I was lucky to find it within 15 Mins...

electrical problems sometimes can take hours to trouble shoot... But when things are going crazy,,, I check grounds FIRST...

Might be time to doing a wiring job... Takes about a day to do one with the all the new kits today..
Bingo! Common sense to the fore.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:48 PM
Old & Furious

Check all the grounds also check the switch they go bad on a regular bases. Also did you replace the flasher they corrode and do funny things.

If those two check out either replace the entire harness with a kit from Painless or build your own. Also check the wires where they go thru the firewall.

I am betting wither the switch housing is cracked or the flasher is filled with green and white fuzzy stuff that is shorting it out. I broke my turn signal with my knee getting out of the car broke it right off. Got a new shaft only to find out the plastic was also broken.

Now if it does not have factory wiring. Maybe the hazard wire is connected to the turn signal circut they are in the same harness. Do the hazzards work correctly.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:25 PM

no the hazards don't work right, but thanks for all the help. i just needed to hear what i thought in the first place new harness and switches.

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.