Light Problems like crazy - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2003, 07:08 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Light Problems like crazy

Make: Ford
Model: Mustang
Year: 1966

Symptoms: First and foremost, at times the left turn signal light within in the car wont come on and you will hear the flasher unit ticking. I checked outside of the car and the back left turn signal comes on, but the front left turn signal doesn't. At times, the turn signal flasher will not tick... when this occurs, the back left brake light doesn't come on.

Among other problems, When I pull the switch for my parking lights, I hear a crackling coming from the light switch and the front turn signals (parking lights) come on.. but then dim and flicker. When I pull the switch for the lights to come on, I still hear the persistent crackling eradicating from behind the dash (where the light switch is) The headlights flicker and cause all electrical items in the car to flicker as well (radio/radio light)... on top of that I dont have any tail lights or dash lights.

Somebody please post... I honestly need all of my lights to work especially tail and dash.... they are honestly becoming a great liability for me to take.

I have checked fuses... all good.

I took the car into a shop to get the dash lights fixed and much to my suprise all they did was replace a light switch and a fuse. A week or so afterwards the dash lights went out. Then all these electrical problems.

Someone please post... i'm itching to know whats wrong -- i'm gonna buy a new light switch pretty soon

thanks -- shawn 66 mustang enthusiast

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2003, 07:32 PM

Last photo:

Sounds like you need some new switches and check and clean all grounds.
Old 10-11-2003, 06:25 AM

Last photo:

I suppose so

I thought that was what the problem might be... just needed a second opinion.

Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated

also could 1 or 2 light bulbs that are blown throw the whole light system off??

such as a burned out license plate light??? and 1 dash light bulb being out?
Old 10-11-2003, 06:41 AM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

Electrical gremlins can be a nightmare to most of us, but a fun puzzle to others. The noise you hear behind the das, near the light switch is most probably the built in circuit breatker that is cycling because of a circuit shorting. I would guess it to be between the switch and the front of the car and in the wire feeding the left running light or in the light socket since the left turn signal is not working (one element/wire) and the running light/headlights position cause the cycling circuit breaker. The first place I would look is where the two wires enter the light socket and then trace back from there to the switch if you did not find the problem.

Trees
Old 10-11-2003, 02:06 PM

Last photo:

ticking sound

there is a ticking sound from the light switch as well as the circuit breaker in the engine bay

the little silver box??

any more ideas guys?
Old 10-12-2003, 12:43 PM

Last photo:

More developments

I can now hear a zapping/ shorting sound from the back bumper, left tail light area??

what does this mean?? is there a short somewhere in this area??

what should i do???
Old 10-13-2003, 10:07 AM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

The first thing to do is pull the battery cable off. Go and buy new bulbs if you don't know whether they are blown or not. Bulbs are cheap and probably could use new ones anyhow. CLEAN ALL of your sockets and make sure all of your grounds and contacts are good and clean. Go to someplace like Radio Shack and get some contact cleaner. Also use something like a small screwdriver and make sure the contacts are clean down in the sockets. Once this is done spray it down with contact cleaner again and replace the bulbs. Connect the battery and go from there. Also the clicking you hear from the small silver box is your turn signal relay or signal stat. If it is clicking it is working. A blown dash light will only show that something is not working whether it is working or not because the lamp will not light up to tell you otherwise. Replace your dash lamps if in doubt. Probably for less than $20 you can have all your lamps replaced except for the headlights. And if they look dim to you then replace them also.

Kevin
Old 10-14-2003, 01:12 PM

Last photo:

Ponybuster,
Please see my reply to your other post as I had not read this one prior to replying to the other. I have experienced similar problems with my Galaxie.
Good luck, Skidmark

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.