Light/Work area while porting? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2011, 11:30 AM
Boost Retard

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Light/Work area while porting?

What do you use as a light source while actually porting? Do you port on a table, bolt it to a stand, sitting down/standing up?

I've done a bunch of my own and have never been happy with whatever I ended up with. It seems like no matter what I do there is always something that I'm not happy about.

In general, I like being up above my work, but a bad back results in me taking short cuts when I'm standing so I prefer to be sitting.

I haven't quite found a surface that I like doing it on, generally something like my craftsman version of a workmate is best, but it gets in the way. I like my work held down but still easy to move. I've thought about bolting heads to an engine stand, that aught to give me better access to them, easily rotated... but the cheap stands that I have sitting around I suspect will move around too easily (I can put something on the legs to keep it from rolling around but I can't think of what would put enough drag on the head that I could still easily rotate it but it wouldn't tend to spin around while I work.

I've done a few manifolds where I was mostly coming at them from a few limited angles that I was quite happy with adding a crosspiece to the leg of a heavy sawhorse and then bungee cording it to the leg of the sawhorse, sitting on a stool next to it, but that wouldn't work at all for a set of cylinder heads.

I have a couple of desk lights/reading lights that I'm OK with, but inevitably I flip them over moving them around... typically I'll go through a couple of bulbs just knocking them over doing a set of heads. I have a florescent tube type drop light that I like how it lights up the ports holding it up against them or the chambers, but it's too big a hassle to use while actually doing the work.

What works for you guys?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2011, 11:36 AM
I don't understand?

Last journal entry: this is only a test
Last photo:

have you ever tried a set of safety glasses with the lights built into the sides?
Old 01-16-2011, 11:46 AM
Boost Retard

Last photo:

huh, no, always thought those things looked hokey... but come to think of it I do have a couple of "headlights" sitting around (it seems like I've gotten one for christmas every year for the last few years, I have one sitting by the stereo setup, makes things much easier when fishing wires in and out to the components...), I'll try that later today...
Old 01-16-2011, 01:21 PM
More for Less Racer

I use a fixture that bolts to the bolt pattern on the end of the head, then fits into an engine stand that has a locking clamp, rather than just a couple of pin holes for location. I use some small bungee straps to strap a florescent light stick along the port openings to backlight into the port opposite from the end I'm working on. Works a lot better to backlight than to try to put light into the same side you are working from IMO.

I'm going to have to look into that lighted safety glasses idea, it might add a little in the right places.
Old 01-16-2011, 03:53 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

I put the heads on a table. I clamp 2 lights directly above and I use a portable light at the mouth of the port I`m working on so it lights up the bowl area.
since I`m tall I sit on a stool that`s close to the height of the table, this is so I can be above it so I can keep a eye on the back of the bowl as I`m porting.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.