Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - lighter forged pistons (KB vs speed-pro) worth $325 on a chevy 454
View Single Post
Old 05-17-2011, 12:33 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berres
Hello!
Need some quick answers on this one.
The problem is that I need live in sweden and need pistons for my engine NOW (read "like today").

You don't want to hear the whole story but I can get KB:s forged IC782-060 with rings and the speed-pro ZL2465F60 with rings shipped today for a total cost difference about $325 (with shipping costs and taxes in my country).

Far as I know the downside of the speed-pro is the weight?
If I choose speed-pro, how much will I loose of that choice?
So wich pistons would you buy if you were me and the pistons is going to be in an 454 bored 0.060 over, 049 heads with bigger valves and ported, xe284-10 cam, holley 870 and so on... no NOS.

And ooooh, I'm on a tight budget

Thanks for quick answers!
Balance is the first problem. If you're not going to re-balance the engine the pistons and rods need to end up close to what the factory balanced the crank for. If you re going to balance the crank then lighter parts will help it to rev faster.

Given there are different piston alloys out there it wouldn't be possible to comment on which was the stronger choice without knowing more.

Bogie