Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Lighting and painting...lighting the deal breaker?
View Single Post
Old 04-06-2009, 08:25 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Lighting and painting...lighting the deal breaker?

Working on my '55 Chevy truck again with some regularity. Finally have the welding out of the way and I've started the filler work at which I've always been comfortable. After a day or two of long board sanding I like to shoot some epoxy primer to get a good look at the body work and get some time in with the gun.

I shot 2 gravel panels with black epoxy primer that were in a not well lit section of the garage..a lot of runs...no surprise right? Then I shot the back of the cab white epoxy primer..only one section sagged a bit but I realized as I stroked the gun that I would loose the wet/dry edge often. Instead of using my eye to time how fast I moved the gun over the surface, I had to guestimate my speed. This is something I have to resolve before paint day this summer. Final color will be Omaha Orange(BC/CC)

There must be a science to lighting for painting. Florescent OK? If not what else? Where located and how many?

I also bought a 13 x 27 party tent with side plastic windows last year for possible use as a paint booth. I assume natural lighting might be the best? Would be a pain in the *** to put up but if it's the best way I'll do it.

Any ideas on keeping the wet edge in sight would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Slick