Hot Rod Forum banner

Lighting problem

804 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  TwistedTrbl 
#1 ·
I have a 77 Chevy truck and last night encountered some lighting problems. I was backing down my driveway when I noticed I didn't have reverse lights. Come to find out I didn't have brake lights either. I did have my running lights though. After a brief search I discovered my turn signals didn't work either. Today on my way into work I stopped and got some fuses thinking that was the problem, but that didn't help either. Any suggestions?

#3 ·
If by any chance you have a manual trans----the back-up wires may rub on the z-bar thus shorting both the back-up and turn signals.

Another thing to look for---if you have tilt column----the wires inside the column WILL eventually break, could cause a short or just an open circuit.

I have had both issues happen to me, it is kind of weird that the tails/brakes/signals would ONLY work with the wheel all the way down.

As far as the back-up lamps-----everything will work UNTIL you put it in reverse --- then the fuses go bye-bye.

I have had the steering coulumn issues about 3x on my 79
Tilt is the most used option in the truck.

Bryan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.