Like to get into the 10's. Suggestions?? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2009, 08:39 AM
http://www.warsprints.com

Last journal entry: W.A.R. (Wingless Auto Racing) Sprint Car Racing
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Like to get into the 10's. Suggestions??

Ok guys, I finally got the S10 on the track with alot of help from here. Here are the times from the first 2 runs.

R/T 60 Ft. 330 Ft. 1/8th Mile MPH 1000 Ft. 1/4 Mile MPH

.344 1.822 4.874 7.457 94.90 9.702 11.614 117.09
.115 1.685 4.732 7.333 93.95 9.608 11.565 113.16

1989 S10
461 BBC
12.75:1 Compression running 110 Race Gas
Cast#215 heads with 2.19in - 1.88ex (has mild port work)
Comp Cams 294S x .595 lift both intake & exhaust
1.7 Scorpion Roller Rockers
Comp Cam Magnum pushrods (stock length)
Edelbrock Victor Jr. 454-O intake
1150 Dominator
TH400 w/4500 stall & transbrake
9" Ford Narrowed w/33x16.0x15 Hoosier Slicks
4:56 Gears w/Full spool

I would like to get into the 10's which I was surprised it didn't do anyway. What suggestions do you have to get me there? I noticed that using the transbrake actually slows the ET down so as of now, it's leaving on the footbrake. Are the 60' times decent?

Thanks

Advertisement

Last edited by S10 Racer; 06-07-2009 at 08:57 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2009, 08:49 AM
Just stuck

Last photo:

What rpm are you shifting at? And your slicks are probably doing you more harm than good! Why so big and tall? I like tall but 16" wide is a bit of overkill imo.....
Old 06-07-2009, 08:58 AM

Last photo:

What cam specs specifically? A 33" tire can use a lot of gear and more might help you out w your 60'. You say leaving on the brake is not so good, so I think you are probably not hooking up coming off the brake. What RPMs etc is the engine seeing through the traps? Cam straight up adv or ret? How is your tune? You surely should be lower than mid 11's running a bbc in an S10 as I know sbc S10's in mid 10's low 11's not that stout. You need to post RPMs, shift points etc. What fuel are you running too?
Old 06-07-2009, 09:00 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranky1
What rpm are you shifting at? And your slicks are probably doing you more harm than good! Why so big and tall? I like tall but 16" wide is a bit of overkill imo.....
Got a good deal on the tires & wheels so I used them. Shifting at 5000 and going thru the traps around 6000. I have the rev limiter set at around 6200 now. I had it set at 5500 but it would come on before the traps.
Old 06-07-2009, 09:11 AM

Last photo:

I would bet the tire is a high growth at 33X16 with a soft sidewall. Look up the part # of the tire I would bet it was a dragster tire.

It has a spin issue looking at the first time slip with a slower 60' and higher MPH. Check the fuel flow at the carb with a line off in a fuel jug I like to see at least 1 gallon in 30 seconds after the regulator.

What RPM are you crossing at? That is alot of tire for that high of a gear with a heavy car/small motor. Also you don't have enough head or cam for an 1150. Try an adaptor and an 850 if you can borrow one. It will make more torque and help hit the tire harder on the launch and maybe make the suspension work.
Old 06-07-2009, 09:28 AM
Just stuck

Last photo:

Don't see how he could be having a spin issue off the line with those huge meats. I'm betting it's having a lazy leave off the line problem with the big carb and smallish heads. He's crossing at 6000.....
Old 06-07-2009, 09:34 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike H
I would bet the tire is a high growth at 33X16 with a soft sidewall. Look up the part # of the tire I would bet it was a dragster tire.

It has a spin issue looking at the first time slip with a slower 60' and higher MPH. Check the fuel flow at the carb with a line off in a fuel jug I like to see at least 1 gallon in 30 seconds after the regulator.

What RPM are you crossing at? That is alot of tire for that high of a gear with a heavy car/small motor. Also you don't have enough head or cam for an 1150. Try an adaptor and an 850 if you can borrow one. It will make more torque and help hit the tire harder on the launch and maybe make the suspension work.
Crossing the line right at 6000. The cam is a 11-219-4 from comp cams with rpm range from 2500-6500. It's a solid flat tappet. The tire is a compound 7 which don't seem to grow much at all. It is leaving the line at around 3500 - 3800 rpm. I know at this rpm the stall is slipping some but since it's a new build, we wanted to take it a little easy the first few times just to make sure things were ok. The thing pulls very hard all the way thru the traps so it's not running out of cam. I have not checked the fuel flow but it's using a Holley blue pump with 1/2" lines all the way to the carb. The S10 has been stripped down to lighten it but has not been put on the scales yet to see exactly how much it weighs. We are still playing with the timing.
Old 06-07-2009, 09:47 AM

Last photo:

Drop the hammer. It is drag racing you are doing isn't it? No *****footin on a bbc with a solid flat. That cam ought to rev right on up there where your bbc will come on, and, you should be on your converter instead of not. If you don't plan on using the converter I suggest changing to a stocker and forget about the brake. How can anyone tell you how to get into the 10's when you have not even done a real drag race type pass? You really have no baseline to go from other than a half@$$ed pass. Not being a S/A, but you need to have some kind of REAL info to go from.
Old 06-07-2009, 09:58 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by S10 Racer
Got a good deal on the tires & wheels so I used them. Shifting at 5000 and going thru the traps around 6000. I have the rev limiter set at around 6200 now. I had it set at 5500 but it would come on before the traps.
First of all how old are the tires? if they are more than 12 months or have seen the sun quite a bit they are gone.

Look at your first 60' and MPH, a slow 60' and high MPH is a spin issue.

One Holley blue is not enough pump for a BBC if it is mounted in the rear of the car.
Old 06-07-2009, 10:00 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez
Drop the hammer. It is drag racing you are doing isn't it? No *****footin on a bbc with a solid flat. That cam ought to rev right on up there where your bbc will come on, and, you should be on your converter instead of not. If you don't plan on using the converter I suggest changing to a stocker and forget about the brake. How can anyone tell you how to get into the 10's when you have not even done a real drag race type pass? You really have no baseline to go from other than a half@$$ed pass. Not being a S/A, but you need to have some kind of REAL info to go from.
HEY! My 18 year old son is the driver and he's just starting out, give us a break! I don't need your suggestions if you're going to be like that. It's a new build and we did'nt know how it was going to act. It's just like anything else people build. Things go wrong and nobody wants to get hurt.
Old 06-07-2009, 10:14 AM
Just stuck

Last photo:

How experienced is your son on the track? I was drag racing at 17 but doubt I could handle a 10 second car if it were my first ride but ya, to get a good baseline, you'll need a couple of good hard passes before asking why it isn't running 10's. Provided your tires aren't spinning, your passes are soft. I'm not up on Chevy much but imo, your combination is kinda mismatched somewhat. As for your converter, my old high 10 second car would run .01 different leaving at an idle verses leaving at 4500. I believe the first thing I would try with what you have would be to leave with more rpm and shift higher too. If it improves, take it a bit higher in the shifts and see if it goes faster
Old 06-07-2009, 10:34 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranky1
How experienced is your son on the track? I was drag racing at 17 but doubt I could handle a 10 second car if it were my first ride but ya, to get a good baseline, you'll need a couple of good hard passes before asking why it isn't running 10's. Provided your tires aren't spinning, your passes are soft. I'm not up on Chevy much but imo, your combination is kinda mismatched somewhat. As for your converter, my old high 10 second car would run .01 different leaving at an idle verses leaving at 4500. I believe the first thing I would try with what you have would be to leave with more rpm and shift higher too. If it improves, take it a bit higher in the shifts and see if it goes faster
Thanks for the info. We were trying different rpm's off the line to see what direction we were going. The lower end of the motor is pretty much stock but we did put ARP rod bolts in it. We did'nt want o over rev it to avoid destruction. Thats why we are "taking it easy" the first few times to make sure it will hold together. I was always told to keep a BBC under 6500 rpm's. We will take the rpm's up a little at a time to see where it gets us. Even though my son is young, he does a good job racing whatever he has but theres always the chance of things going wrong.
Old 06-07-2009, 10:36 AM
Differential/Driveline

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by S10 Racer
HEY! My 18 year old son is the driver and he's just starting out, give us a break! I don't need your suggestions if you're going to be like that. It's a new build and we did'nt know how it was going to act. It's just like anything else people build. Things go wrong and nobody wants to get hurt.
Don't take these guy's to serious! Be safe,and enjoy the time with your son! With that tall tire,I wondering if a little more gear would help. The car should have a better 60ft on the brake,Maybe lower gear would help.
Old 06-07-2009, 10:47 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreet6t9
Don't take these guy's to serious! Be safe,and enjoy the time with your son! With that tall tire,I wondering if a little more gear would help. The car should have a better 60ft on the brake,Maybe lower gear would help.
Thanks. We were wondering about the gear ratio. Do you think maybe something like a 5.13 would be more what we need? The main reason we have not used the brake much is because of the stock 35 spline 9" axles. Being on a budget (of course) we are racing with these until I can afford some aftermarket axles. I sent the stock ones to Moser and had them shortened. We did'nt want to break an axle using the brake. Maybe we are too cautious about things but if something major breaks, we are out for a time. Just trying to have fun but looking for faster goals too if that makes sense. Changing gears would be cheaper than changing tire size I think if I can get the same result.
Old 06-07-2009, 10:54 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike H
First of all how old are the tires? if they are more than 12 months or have seen the sun quite a bit they are gone.

Look at your first 60' and MPH, a slow 60' and high MPH is a spin issue.

One Holley blue is not enough pump for a BBC if it is mounted in the rear of the car.
The tires were new and never installed until now, always kept inside. I was told the the blue pump was not enough by a guy at the track. He was running a blue pump from the rear to a mechanical pump. Do you think I need to install a mechanical pump too in addition to the Holley blue pump? It just did'nt seem to be having any fuel problems but I can't be sure to tell you the truth.

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.