Like input on possible project - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2011, 12:36 PM

Last journal entry: more...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Like input on possible project

Found one of these cabs, it is all fiberglass so no rust issues and thinking of making a rod out of it. My thinking is a placing it at the rear of a t-bucket style frame the motor our front of the cab. This way the cab wheel wells would cover the rear tires. Maybe a long frame ala dragster look. The radiator would be mounted behind cab below rear window like they used to place the condensors for cooling units with fans mount over it. Possibly no grill, or narrow og grill to fit the frame width with headlights stacked to either side. Think it would be worth the time? Or just a really stupid idea, really like some input as I'm not sure. I think it would work but Cab will only cost me a couple hundered dollars. what ya'll think?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	International 190.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	16.0 KB
ID:	51960  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2011, 12:54 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,326 Times in 1,150 Posts
Thumbs down on that idea from me. Now, build it as it is but move the motor back a bit making it a "mid engine" and chopping and sectioning the body so the whole rig is about four feet tall (or less), THAT sounds like a cool hot rod!

Brian
Old 01-27-2011, 12:58 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Or...Stretch the frame, put a flat bed on it and haul your hot rod around on it.

Is that a White truck?....We had one like that when I was a kid.
Old 01-27-2011, 01:16 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Chop it, drop it, do as Brian says, it would make a nice car hauler or maybe a fake or real wrecker. It has way too much character to do much of anything to it.
Old 01-27-2011, 01:20 PM

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Possibly could make a cool pickup out of it, Maybe dodge bed or pre 67 ford bed would line up pretty good.
Shane
Old 01-27-2011, 01:54 PM

Last photo:

I had thought about chopping and sectioning it. Take about half of the glass height and 12" out of the middle then level it with bottom of the doors. Forgot to note that in the post. The flat bed might be a neat idea, look like one of those trucks they use at airports where they sit low and ahead of the front wheels. Only bad past is your in big trouble in an accident.
Poncho62 I think it's an International, going back this weekend to take a better look if it doesn't snow. And some pics of the cab itself.

Last edited by PureC4; 01-27-2011 at 02:00 PM.
Old 01-27-2011, 03:05 PM

Last photo:

That is a way cool ride.
Get a side view picture of it and put it in a easy to use paint program. Paint Shop Pro, I think they are up to nine or ten now is a good one for around 75.00. MS paint is even good enough to give you an idea of what it could look like. Chop it all up in anyway you can think of and see what you come up with.
Unlike the rest of the guys up here (and they are all good guys) I like your idea of sitting the cab on the rear axle. Why be normal? The Fink never was. Back in high school a buddy of mine's father did that same thing with a cab from a Volkswagen pick up truck. He made a rail section for the front but he still used the torsion tube suspension but it was turned around. Man that was one cool ride and I wish it was still around. We called it the "Behind Mobile".
You could build a frame similar to what the sling shots used in the late fifties and have the motor exposed out in front of the cab like a T-bucket. Either way I would definitely chop the roof on it. But it is your truck so do what you want with it just be sure to make your mind up before you start. Most projects fall to the way side when people don't have a good plan or they change their mind in the middle.
P.S. IF you don't buy it can I?
Old 01-27-2011, 07:14 PM

Last photo:

Ok here's the scoop. It is a copy of a 1966 Diamond T Reo all fiberglass. It's fairly old, has some cracks and soft places; the doors are hung with inside releases but no outside hardware. No floor on the drivers side, the roof is thin enough for light to come through the fiberglass, and the frame that I guess is the tilt structure is rusted pretty bad, you can see in the pics. Now that I showed some interest he wants 500.00 but I'm thinking more like 300.00 max.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Diamond T 534 CG.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	51976   Click image for larger version

Name:	truck cab 005.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	900.1 KB
ID:	51977   Click image for larger version

Name:	truck cab 009.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	816.0 KB
ID:	51978   Click image for larger version

Name:	truck cab 011.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	726.0 KB
ID:	51979   Click image for larger version

Name:	truck cab 006.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	691.3 KB
ID:	51980  

Old 01-27-2011, 09:47 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,326 Times in 1,150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Kemp
Why be normal?

Chris ANYTHING to do with this truck would be anything but "normal"! You don't think chopped and sectioned with a blown motor sitting in the middle of a flat bed out back with dual cheater slicks out back would be "different" enough? Wow, you really are a Fink throwback!

Brian
Old 01-27-2011, 10:30 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR

Chris ANYTHING to do with this truck would be anything but "normal"! You don't think chopped and sectioned with a blown motor sitting in the middle of a flat bed out back with dual cheater slicks out back would be "different" enough? Wow, you really are a Fink throwback!

Brian
Well Brian I can't help it Tom Daniels and the Finkster were a big influence on me during the sixties. I'm proud to be labeled as a Fink throwback. I will admit it would look cool with a mid engine but I just like the Behind Mobile look. Have you ever drove one? They're so freaking cool. There are a few old ford van pickups running around here with the engines in the middle. There is even one guy on the westside that has his in backwards. He's using a V-Drive from a boat to make it work. My dad had an old sand rail. It was an old chevy truck frame with the straight axle, the six cylinder engine moved back about two feet, with a dash, a windshield and bench seat on top of the rear axle. The steering column shaft was about twelve feet long. LOL Tall skinny minnies on the front with split rims and balloon tires on the rear. Man we had some fun with that thing. It was basically the same thing as what my friends father had. It's just that my friends father took the cab and set it over the back axle. People just don't do stuff like this anymore. All of the Behind Mobiles are gone.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:42 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureC4
Ok here's the scoop. It is a copy of a 1966 Diamond T Reo all fiberglass. It's fairly old, has some cracks and soft places; the doors are hung with inside releases but no outside hardware. No floor on the drivers side, the roof is thin enough for light to come through the fiberglass, and the frame that I guess is the tilt structure is rusted pretty bad, you can see in the pics. Now that I showed some interest he wants 500.00 but I'm thinking more like 300.00 max.
That things in grate shape, wow. I see it now put the cab on the rear axle tilt the front of it down to where the windshield is almost straight have a set of frame rails coming out toward the front like the old sling shot dragsters with a blown big block chevy out there and a dropped axle. Put the radiator in the rear so it wont be seen and stick a small water tank out front. Its da****, its phat, its a bag o chips and all that. Its ol school, too cool to rule and if I have to explaine you just wouldn't under stand!
Old 01-28-2011, 06:15 AM

Last photo:

Thanks Chris, you got me pumped up again about it. Was beginning to doubt my thinking. I was thinking more of a straight six for motor to lengthen it out, and a BIG turbo, or triple carbs and zoomies! Spoke wheel on the front. Like the idea of duals on the rear, hadn't though of that. Maybe angle chop the top to make it look like its frowning. Keep throwing ideas at me, and thanks again. Now to work on the old man on the price.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:31 AM

Last journal entry: Long time no journal entry, pulled hood tonight.
Last photo:

Dig up one of the GMC v12s. 702 cubic inches. Now that would be different.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:48 AM

Last photo:

Take a look at this link http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/auto...st1369935.html There is a lot of input there on buying from someone that doesn't want to sell.
Old 01-28-2011, 05:54 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentpoet
Dig up one of the GMC v12s. 702 cubic inches. Now that would be different.
Yeah Buddy, now you're talking! I coppied this from Wiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
The 702-cubic-inch (11.5 L) V12 "Twin Six" was offered in United States GMC commercial trucks, and as a special order option in Canada. It was often mistaken as two V6 engines welded together but in fact was a single casting. It used four separate exhaust manifolds, two separate carburetors, two separate distributor caps driven off of a single distributor drive, and other parts from the 351. 56 major parts are interchangeable between the Twin-Six and the other GMC V-6 engines to provide greater parts availability and standardization. It produced 250 net SAE horsepower (190 kW). Torque was 585 lbft (793 Nm).
In my life I only got to work on one of these. I did however get to work on a lot of the 305 V-6's. Good work engine, hard to kill. They were produced from 1960 through 1978.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.