Lincoln 180T DOA.... - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2008, 03:26 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Mikey, EXACTLY!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2008, 04:49 AM
King of my Man-cave.

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcinfantry
thats why this country is faltering.
you know the internet is why we have no dealers stocking anything locally. your LOCAL welding supply house will give knick knacks away, but when you keep buying online your local welding supply closes.......
I absolutely agree with that. Anybody buys stuff mail order or on-line gives up the local service part of the deal, I don't care who makes it or who fixes it. If you buy something at a local store, you can take it back. If you have something shipped to you, it's up to you to ship it back---or drive it back. You make the choice when buying it. If you don't live near a local dealer for an item, that's not the manufactures problem.

tom
Old 06-02-2008, 05:08 AM
The Ultimate Lurker;)

Last photo:

Well, I purchased my unit from a Authorized Lincoln Dealer that normally deals in the larger machines, but they are not an authorized Lincoln Service Department and was told that since they don't normally carry the smaller welders that I would have to contact Lincoln for the tech service and service department. Maybe next time I will purchase my welder from an online source, at least then I won't be able to blame anyone but myself right!! The bottom line is I spent the extra cash and bought as local as I can get, and we can see where that got me. So tell me, how would it have been any different if I had purchased a unit online. The worst thing is that I found this same welder online after my purchase for about $100 less than I paid for mine locally. So I should just fork out more of my money to support the guy at the local AGA make more money?

I'm all for keeping it local, but I can see why people buy online. The savings alone is enough for most to do it. I guess the best advise is for the local shops be a little more competitive on the price of the small stuff that way people don't feel like they are getting raped when they walk out of the store.

Anyways this is getting way off topic, I didn't purchase my machine from online so it doesn't matter. The only thing that matters now is how good Lincoln's customer service is.
Old 06-02-2008, 05:19 AM
The Ultimate Lurker;)

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcinfantry
thats why this country is faltering.

his welder WAS FIXED. they honored the warranty!

why should he, you, me or anyone get something else for free?

does the warranty say 6 months parts and labor plus some wire, and consumables? no... my gosh its unbelievable.

you know the internet is why we have no dealers stocking anything locally. your LOCAL welding supply house will give knick knacks away, but when you keep buying online your local welding supply closes.......
So they are giving away free gas now??? And what about the hassle and my time?? It's not worth anything??

So if you were to be in the same situation, you can honestly say with a straight face that you'd just smile and act as if it doesn't bother you to spend an additional $40 in fuel and the 4-5 hours it takes to travel with your welder to get it fixed when you never even had the chance to use it???

And you're talking about people ruining the local store buy making purchases online???? It's that very same customer service attitude that you employ that is driving people to buy online.
Old 06-02-2008, 05:46 AM
King of my Man-cave.

Last photo:

Somebody buys something at our parts store and there is a problem, we fix it, no problem. Or attitude. Somebody buys something on-line or mail order, it's between them and the company. Does the company HAVE to reimburse any travel time and cost. Probably not. I would guess that they have a return policy stating how any problems would be handled. If the return was not done by their rules, they aren't obligated to cover anything. SHOULD they do something to cover the cost? That's up to them.

After re-reading the original post, I see that the welder was bought at a store. It's up to the store to make things right with the customer. Yes, I think some sort of effort should be made to help cover the costs incurred by the customer. Perhaps a store gift card. Any problems beyond that are between the store and the supplier.

tom

Last edited by machine shop tom; 06-02-2008 at 05:52 AM.
Old 06-02-2008, 05:59 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Quote..."Well, I purchased my unit from a Authorized Lincoln Dealer that normally deals in the larger machines, but they are not an authorized Lincoln Service Department and was told that since they don't normally carry the smaller welders that I would have to contact Lincoln for the tech service and service department."

This is the part that bugs me.....These guys are the ones that should have dealt with the problem. If they are not an "authorized Lincoln Service Department", they should have shipped it to one.....They sold it to the customer..........That is part of being an "Authorized Lincoln Dealer".........Of course, that would likely take a lot more time than it did.
Old 06-02-2008, 07:05 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

I buy everything I can locally, from local merchants, but the nearest "larger" town is 18 miles from me, and the population is about 4000. Needless to say, they almost never have what I need, or a wide selection. The internet has been a big help to me because it takes me less time to research and find something. If what I order isn't right I send it back. If there's something wrong with it, they pick it up by UPS. If I ordered wrong or it's not what I expected, I pay to ship it back and I gladly accept that concept in exchange for the time I saved in the first place. IMHO, bacause of the circumstances, Steel needs some compensation of some kind, and a smart company will do something for him.

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.
Old 06-02-2008, 07:22 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by machine shop tom
Somebody buys something at our parts store and there is a problem, we fix it, no problem. Or attitude.
I fix things, like fabric that fails prematurely, and my customer doesn't pay a nickle. I can get free replacement fabric most of the time, but I don't charge the customer regardless if I have to pay for it or not. To me, it's worth having a happy satisfied customer who will tell their friends " you won't believe this, but I got my .........fill in the blank....... fixed for nothing". Word of mouth advertising like that is worth its weight in gold, not to mention referrals and repeat business. "Ye reap what ye sow".

I also make small repairs (" can you sew this seam for me") all the time, and rarely charge for it. Generally, the person will leave me more than I would have asked for in the first place, and a lot of larger dollar business has come my way from this policy. Of course, I live in a small town, so maybe I'm just naive.

Old 06-02-2008, 07:27 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTwoLakes
I fix things, like fabric that fails prematurely, and my customer doesn't pay a nickle. I can get free replacement fabric most of the time, but I don't charge the customer regardless if I have to pay for it or not. To me, it's worth having a happy satisfied customer who will tell their friends " you won't believe this, but I got my .........fill in the blank....... fixed for nothing". Word of mouth advertising like that is worth its weight in gold, not to mention referrals and repeat business. "Ye reap what ye sow".

I also make small repairs (" can you sew this seam for me") all the time, and rarely charge for it. Generally, the person will leave me more than I would have asked for in the first place, and a lot of larger dollar business has come my way from this policy. Of course, I live in a small town, so maybe I'm just naive.
Didn't PT Barnum have something to say about guys like you?, something about one being born every minute?................

Kidding....You are right.........Good relations with customers is worth its weight....................
Old 06-02-2008, 07:33 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

You're right, there is one born every minute, and I'm it!!

Seriously, I just want to believe in my fellow man. If that makes me a sucker, so be it.

I also never charge to repair an American flag, or sew a name tag on a fireman's turnout gear. Or ANYTHING for a service man or woman.

Old 06-02-2008, 08:30 AM
The Ultimate Lurker;)

Last photo:

Dan, first I must say that you are a stand up guy, it's rare to find someone that feels the way you do. But I agree 100%....

On another note, Lincoln just e-mailed me and this is what they had to say:

We apologize for the inconvenience you have had with your welder. Our warranty policy covers only the cost of correcting the defect of a Lincoln product.

For your inconvenience, we can offer to send some wire at no charge to use with your welder and extra contact tips.

Please let us know what wire you require for use with your welder.

If you have any other question or comments, please do not hesitate to contact
us.

Regards,

LE Customer Service

Now that was fast being that I know they don't work on the weekends. Pretty good of them to do that. Hell I'm happy that they acknowledged the problem and took care of it.....
Old 06-02-2008, 01:22 PM
World Class ASE tech

Last photo:

Sounds like they want you to be happy. Glad they are taking care of their customers.

As I write this, this thread has been looked at 250 times. You have to wonder if what Lincoln has done for you will sway one of those 250 to buy a Lincoln, because they know they can expect the same great service?
Old 06-02-2008, 02:00 PM
Lost in the 60's

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

I am glad that Lincoln is doing this...but if I were you...I would never buy another thing from the store/dealer that sold you the welder. They should have either re-funded your money or paid for the shipping to send it off to be fixed. Reason being is...the welder did not break down from you using it...they sold you a welder that somehow got past quality control and it would not work at all.
Old 06-02-2008, 02:06 PM
The Ultimate Lurker;)

Last photo:

I just received this second e-mail from Lincoln:

Dear Mr. XXXXXX,

(5) 2lb. spools of the L-56 material will be shipped on order 3386263 at no charge for your inconvenience. Your comments and questions help us to provide quality products and customer service.

Regards,

Carol M.Pilotti
Lincoln Electric Company
Service Dept. Miguarantee / Wirefeeder Warranty Rep..
Restock Rep - SME
Advisor - Employees Association
22801 St. Clair Avenue
Cleveland, OH. 44117
Fax: (216) 383-2400

They have definitely went beyond anything I had hoped for, and have proven to me that they are customer driven.
Old 06-02-2008, 02:20 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

They're sending you what, $30.00 worth of wire? Not bad.

So....... Your first name is Steel and your last name is XXXXXX? I think I have some of your DVD's!

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.