Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Garage - Tools (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/garage-tools/)
-   -   Lincoln 180T DOA.... (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/lincoln-180t-doa-139586.html)

Steel 05-30-2008 04:00 PM

Lincoln 180T DOA....

I went out and got a new Lincoln Mig 180T. Brought it home, took it out of the
box, assembled and then nothing. Nada, zero, zip, and zilch. The brand new
welder that I had just purchased was dead. So, if that wasn't bad enough I ended up having to take this brand new welder 45 miles away to get it serviced and I hadn't even had the chance to throw sparks with it yet. As it turns out there was a wire internally that was not affixed properly. I ended up writing Lincoln and telling them about the situation and my dissatisfaction of the whole process. Hopefully, I will hear back from them and they will at least try to make it right. I know that things happen, it's just a nuisance when they do.....

Vortech 4.3 05-31-2008 05:46 AM

stuff happens. but lincoln welders are nice.

thats the bad thing about living far away for the city. if a problem happens = long drive back. next time you buy something like that. take it out of the box and plug it in to at least see if it powers up.

mcinfantry 05-31-2008 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steel
I went out and got a new Lincoln Mig 180T. Brought it home, took it out of the
box, assembled and then nothing. Nada, zero, zip, and zilch. The brand new
welder that I had just purchased was dead. So, if that wasn't bad enough I ended up having to take this brand new welder 45 miles away to get it serviced and I hadn't even had the chance to throw sparks with it yet. As it turns out there was a wire internally that was not affixed properly. I ended up writing Lincoln and telling them about the situation and my dissatisfaction of the whole process. Hopefully, I will hear back from them and they will at least try to make it right. I know that things happen, it's just a nuisance when they do.....

try to make it "right"

what do you mean by that?

you bought a new welder, it didnt work, now it was fixed. did you have to pay to get it fixed.

what do you do for a career?

Steel 05-31-2008 12:00 PM

What I mean is not only did I have to purchase this welder, but then I had to take time out of my schedule and drive a total of 180 miles to have it repaired for what should have been good in the first place. I'm not sure how much gas is where you live but here it's about $4.00 a gallon, so why should I have to eat the cost of gas on something that should have been right to begin with? We're talking about 180 frickin miles, 2 trips there are back. It wouldn't have been an issue with me if I had been using this machine for a couple of years, but I just pulled it out of the box and still don't have it back yet. To me if you spend $600 and some change on something it should be right, and if it's not the purchaser shouldn't have to go out of their way to make sure it's right, that is up to the Company that is backing their product. I guess what I'm saying is that I should not have to incur additional charges(gas and time) to get the welder that I was supposed to have already purchased.

I don't understand what my career choice has to do with anything but since you asked. I am laid off from Chrysler, and currently attending school full-time in the Electrical field.

oldred 05-31-2008 12:31 PM

Steel, I see it that way also and I hope they will try to make it right. I doubt they will be willing to pay travel expenses but if you complain to the right people you may get a credit toward some consumables.

mcinfantry 05-31-2008 12:34 PM

because the welder is fixed thats why.

being a former chrysler employee... when chrysler had a recall do you think as an employee involved in improper assembly of the recalled part should have shouldered the recall?

i dont see what the problem is. when my cars go in for warranty work, im not paid time, gas, or depreciation.

just my .02

327NUT 05-31-2008 02:17 PM

mcinfantry.....just my .02 worth also.....but man you have a strange way of looking at things. I don't blame Steel one bit, sure Lincoln probably won't give him a gas mileage check but they sure as hell could send him a few rolls of wire or something just for his time, gas and good customer relations. Too much competition in the welding equipment bizz to treat customers badly.

Steel 06-01-2008 06:10 AM

Thanks guys for the understanding.

And mcinfantry? I'll acknowledge your post by simply not responding.

DanTwoLakes 06-01-2008 08:06 AM

You guys are assuming that Lincoln is not going to do anything. Steel: How long has it been since you communicated with them? If they do come up with some way to tell you they're sorry and compensate you in some way, I hope you post again and tell what they did.

mcinfantry: All Steel was doing was venting about the situation. He is right that the welder should have been tested at the factory that built it. As someone who lives a long distance from almost everything, I can appreciate his frustration. Yes, it's good that the welder is now fixed, but that doesn't mean it's not frustrating to have to get a brand new welder fixed 180 miles away.

Steel 06-01-2008 08:57 AM

I sent off the e-mail on Thursday, and if they respond either way I'll most definitely post their response. I'm sure they'll take care of it, like you said the worst is the frustration of the whole situation. Life goes on, and it'll get better when I drive back up to get the welder and I can finally throw some sparks......

DanTwoLakes 06-01-2008 09:47 AM

Can I make a suggestion? I'm sure they get thousands of e-mails. Call them on the phone, and ask for Customer Service. Just calmly explain your situation, and tell them you'd really appreciate anything they can do for you. If they won't help you, ask to talk to someone higher up on the food chain, and keep after it until someone takes care of you. I used to do a lot of customer service work, and I can tell you that good companies want you to be happy. They will also stop listening if you yell at them, so handle them the same way you handled mcinfantry. Good luck.

Steel 06-01-2008 11:25 AM

Thanks Dan, will do!

Mike H 06-01-2008 04:46 PM

I have had a similar issue with my Syncrowave 180 it went through a set of points and a transformer on two seperate ocations both in warrenty and after talking with Miller they took care of it and I have not had any other issues with it so far. My point is this was a 1500.00 welder and the first time it broke it was only 6 months old so they all can have issues but they will help you out if you scream loud enough.

mcinfantry 06-01-2008 10:03 PM

thats why this country is faltering.

his welder WAS FIXED. they honored the warranty!

why should he, you, me or anyone get something else for free?

does the warranty say 6 months parts and labor plus some wire, and consumables? no... my gosh its unbelievable.

you know the internet is why we have no dealers stocking anything locally. your LOCAL welding supply house will give knick knacks away, but when you keep buying online your local welding supply closes.......

powerrodsmike 06-01-2008 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcinfantry
thats why this country is faltering.

his welder WAS FIXED. they honored the warranty!

why should he, you, me or anyone get something else for free?

does the warranty say 6 months parts and labor plus some wire, and consumables? no... my gosh its unbelievable.

you know the internet is why we have no dealers stocking anything locally. your LOCAL welding supply house will give knick knacks away, but when you keep buying online your local welding supply closes.......

Lincoln makes the same money whether or not they sell through an online store or local shop.

Maybe if the machine had failed some time into it's use it would be a different story..but there is no company that advertises as being an "industry leader" that should let a machine out the factory door with such a simple problem....A 30 second operational test at the end of the assembly line would have avoided this problem.

I'd want a t shirt or something for my trouble. I buy locally when ever I can and have a plasma torch and 2 mig welders that I bought locally at the welding supply that I've had an account at since 1989. I do understand that things go wrong, but a company like Lincoln can afford to make their customers feel better about the service they get. It is not getting something for "free", .. that cost of doing business and honoring a warranty is built into every Lincoln welder that gets sold...

If it was a HF or some ebay machine I'd see your point, but it was a Lincoln. Top of the line stuff and priced accordingly.

One of the problems with this country today is that when someone works hard for their money and buys top of the line stuff because they think it will be properly built, but then has to invest even more time and money to get it right, and it is only because of greed and corner cutting on the part of the manufacturer....

You tell me with a straight face that doing business like that is making America great, and it is the consumers burden to bear all of the extra costs when simple, preventable things go wrong.

Later, mikey