lincoln locker - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2011, 04:06 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

lincoln locker

ok guys im new and like most people have a project fund of about $0 so what are the pros and cons of welding up my 12 bolt with 3.07s and 30 inch tires in a longbed truck with a smallblock,

im also a young defiant son of a ****** and im probably gonna do it anyway

but maybe somebody out there can change my mind

so here is the info on the truck
its a 1965 chevy c10 long bed 2wd
cammed 350 with a massive 795cfm edelbrock and a full 2 1/2 inch exhaust through cherry bombs
3.07 open diff
30 inch all terrains
this thing will see the track quite often and it will be going up to the mountains quite often
and its my dd

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2011, 04:39 AM

10 bolt Lincoln Locker

We welded up the spider gears 10 bolt differential on a '69 Tempest for 1/4 oval track enduro racing and it worked good.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:22 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

a close look at the pine trees

with a welded up rear you will probably get a real close look at some pine trees when you come around a corner on a gravel-dirt rough road
Old 08-15-2011, 06:53 AM

Last photo:

With a budget of $0, I see a problem with needed tires. Lincoln Lockers eat tires. A buddy of mine did this to a Firebird he loved and later sold it 'cuz he hated it. Have a backup plan before breaking out the sticks.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:48 AM

Detroit Locker

I had a rare factory Detroit Locker in my '63 Pontiac Catalina. It wore out both rear tires prematurely and when locked, the differential tried to push the car in curves before it unlocked with a loud clank. I did not have power steering and it was a chore to turn the car before the differential unlocked.

When I straightened the car out and the Detroit Locker locked up, I again heard a loud "clank" which shook the car. I got tired of that crap and traded it to George Kevelbaard in Hanford CA for a regular Safe-T-Track. Kenevelbaard is the owner of the late Mickey Thompson's 1963 Pontiac 421 Super Duty Catalina. George used it for a while and got rid of it also.

I had just as well have a Lincoln locker or a spool as a Detroit locker, but only if the car will be driven off road. At least a spool would not be noisy and unpredictable.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:49 AM

Last photo:

Some trucks these days come with factory airlockers I believe. Maybe you can find a setup and graft it into your rig. It might be worth your while to look into that. A guy with a 30s willys coupe and a V6 got killed when his locker hooked unevenly trying to switch lanes in the rain at a rod run. Lockers are great, but man will you pay for it in tires and dents.
I know what you're trying to do; but I think it will cost you more than saving your pennies and buying something stronger and more appropriate. Don't forget if you shatter that thing, since its your DD, fixing it will cost you (down)time and money you probably cant afford.

Worst thing I ever did was build a balls-out street car for my daily. I couldnt drive it certain places, sometimes I had to bum rides to get to work because I couldnt afford the gas, and I spent so much in tires, carb kits and loud pipes tickets....I sold it to go to college and now the daily is a STOCK TPI Trans-AM WS6. It gets in the 20s for MPG on the highway, drinks 87 octane and has A/C and C/C. Im looking at a weekend only car, that'll be a lot more agressive however.
Old 08-15-2011, 01:41 PM

thanks for the replys guys as for tires i can get a good used tire for 20 bucks mounted and i will at all times have two spares rollin around in the bed,

the tire place i go to has been in business forever and they aren't going out anytime soon

i get one wheel wonder action around damn near every corner, so im used to replacing tires

kmatch my cousin picks up scrap trucks and cars all the time so i can probably get an extra diff from him,
i wont make a move unless i have a backup
Old 08-16-2011, 01:37 AM
454, what turns your crank?

Last journal entry: Replacing bearings and crank
Last photo:

While you have the rear end tore apart in that truck, look into getting a shorter set of gears for the rear. You can pick up a set of gears at a salvage yard for cheep and the shims to instal it aren't that expensive either. Normally i wouldn't recommend doing that, but with welded spider gears that rear end isn't going to last that long anyway. Might as well have some fun while your at it, and that small block will really like the shorter gears.

And for my $.02 i would get rid of that carb... its wayyy to big for that motor. Sell it and pick up a 600 or 650, you will be amazed at the difference.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.