Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Lincoln mark 4 disc brake rear
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2009, 06:47 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Make a fiberglass fan shroud
Last journal entry: Next.. ..Bagging the king B (barge)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 161

75 -76 lincoln MK IV came with single piston rear calipers, 2.6" diameter. All of the disc brake rear Lincolns, Mercurys used single piston calipers with an emergency brake , Those 2 piston calipers in the pics are not off the rear of any Ford product that I ever saw. They look an awful lot like f250 front calipers to me. The Lincoln disc rear has a different axle bearing with an external seal and different hub offset than a drum brake axle, maybe a full size station wagon drum and backing plate would fit. You will wind up playing around with the axle retainer plate too, because the external seal won't clear the hole in the center. But then you'd have fun trying to get the drum in the right place .. IMO, you would be better off finding a wilwood set for the rear, and going to a smaller master cylinder..

The stock Lincoln mc was 1 1/8" and used a hydroboost. Just FYI, the front calipers that are supposed to be used with those rears are 3.1" piston diameter. Those front wilwoods are not anywhere near the size in piston area that the rear pistons are, that's where the bias problems will come from.

If the front calipers have 2 (or 4) 1.75" pistons, the effective piston area is 4.9 square in. The 2.6" rear calipers have an area of 5.31 sq in..so the front piston area is about 90% of the rear...it should be the other way around, with the rear piston area being 60 to 70% of the fronts... The lincoln disc diameter is larger than the fronts as well..that will only compound your problem...

Later, mikey

BE different....ACT normal.

No one is completely useless..They can always be used as a bad example

Last edited by powerrodsmike; 03-28-2009 at 11:28 PM. Reason: remembered something