lincoln mig 135t wire feed problems - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2012, 06:33 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

lincoln mig 135t wire feed problems

Hi all new member hope someone can help.i got a lincoln 135t and it worked 100% up till now.well heres what happened welding one day and the feed would start and stop for no reason.well i let it cool down thinkin it might be getting hot,i started it again and the feed stopped totally.ive looked online about problems and mine is doin **** others do not mention.i took out the gear box and motor assembly and check it if i hit the motor it would start running fine till i let off the trigger then it would just hum.well i bought 2 12 volt dc motors and they did not run worth a dam,slow and no power,i checked the power from the motor wires and i got 14.75 volt if the wire speed is turn up the antire way if i turn it down the volts decrease like normal.now is a 12 volt motor not enough?what voltage motor do i need?bought a JOHNSON motor(the same manufacturer as it had)johnson told me it was a high torque motor and it didnt fun worth a dam.please someone help

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2012, 12:18 AM

Last photo:

Hey There. Not sure if this would be your issue or not but a common problem with those tapped voltage mig welders is what we jokingly call D and a half. What happens is the voltage selector switch looks like it is on A B C or D but is actually half way between settings which cause the drive motor to stop turning. If you cycle it back and forth a few times it will rectify it......if thats your issue.
Old 09-02-2012, 07:05 AM

Thanks ill try it
Old 09-02-2012, 07:34 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

No kinks?

I would check all the wiring connections, a little bit of almost invisible corrosion can cause problems. My old tig wouldn't weld. everything looked good, after I cleaned everything it fired back up. Kinking the cable will cause problems, dirt can get pulled into the tube. Usually I change the liner first, a friend doesn't use copper coated wire , says the copper eventually plugs it up. But for limited part time use copper keeps the wire from rusting which is a bigger problem.
Old 09-02-2012, 08:42 AM
boatbob2

Lincoln MIG welder.........

Hi,disconnect the hose the wire runs in,from the welder,you MAY have a haystack (ball of MIG wire) in the end of the hose,that will stop up the feed...
Old 09-02-2012, 08:49 AM

I got the motor out of the welder hooked it up to power,not bolted in the welder,and it turns ****ty and very little power motor can be stopped turn very easy with my fingures.i checked current from the 2 wires that feed power to the motor,with the wire feed all the way up i got 14.75 volts.it is not the gun or wire feed tube the motor is out of machine with the wired hooked to the motor.thanks anyhow hope someone can help.oh the wire feed knob works as i turn feed speed down the voltage decreases and turn up the voltage increases.now my question is about the 14.75 peak volts to the motor is that enough power?how may volts is the motor 6 volts,12 volts or 24 volts?
Old 09-02-2012, 10:36 AM

Last photo:

SO if I understand correctly you are bench testing the motor?? Not hooked to the machine at all?? (ie wiring??) how many volts are you putting to the motor to test it?? Im not sure of the voltage of the motor but I just sent a text to my Lincoln Electric Rep he will know. When he texts me back ill let you know.
Old 09-02-2012, 10:47 AM

Ok thanks.well tested it again and now very low voltage to the motor.with wires connected to the motor and motor turning(holding it in my hand while doin this)the voltage when engine is turning very slow is under2 volts and the motor will die completly out.the engine will only start turning if i spin the gear slightly to help it along then turns very slow.
Old 09-02-2012, 11:51 AM

Last photo:

Where are you getting the power from?? A 12 volt battery, battery charger, etc ??? Or are you using the power from the welding machine supplied through the wires to the drive motor??
Old 09-02-2012, 11:56 AM

Yes thru the welder.could the fan motor-rectifier be bad?tested motor on a 12v car battery and it spun to life.hooked back to welder using the wire leads for the motor and still super slow no power
Old 09-02-2012, 12:12 PM

Last photo:

Hmmm that is not good. There is a PC board in there that controls many thing including the drive motor. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but 9 times out out 10 with things like this it will be a pc board. Where do you live?? Is there a Red d arc where you live or any other repair facility??
Old 09-02-2012, 12:16 PM

Indiana county pa i live.i took the cover apart and looked at the front and back of the board and no signs of and burnt circuits.shouldnt i set a burnt area on the board?
Old 09-02-2012, 12:41 PM

Last photo:

There will usually be indications on the board but not always. The only way to know for sure is to test the board. I will talk to the guys at red d arc who do all my repairs for you and see what they say. I won't be able to talk to them until tuesday though because of the holiday. Basically your issue is when the drive motor is in the machine it has a max voltage of 14 volts but the motor bairly turns. When the motor is out of the machine and is tested with an alternate power source it works fine?
Old 09-02-2012, 12:47 PM

Yes,but i retested the motor connected to the welder (holding motor in my hand unbolted it from the gear box)the motor turns very very slow and when i check volts to the motor as it slowly turns it will totally shut off and gotta help it along with my finger and it will turn on its own but can be stopped very easily.the volts when it the motor is turning is under 2 volts.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:58 AM

Last photo:

Hey There. I spoke to my buddy at Red d arc. He said it can only be one of two things. It is either the voltage selector switch or the PC board. He said if there is a poor connection it will cause the drive motor to not work. He suggested to cycle the switch back and forth a few times. If that doesnt work remove the switch and try cleaning the contacts. He said that might work but might not. might need a new switch. If you put a new switch in it and that doesnt solve the issue its deffinatly the board. Hope that helps. If you wanna try to replace the switch call your local welding supply company and give them the serial number from your machine. They should be able to get you one.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.