In-Line Air Sander - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2009, 05:48 PM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

In-Line Air Sander

My old Harbor Freight in line sander has just about given up the ghost. I have cleaned it many times but it has been dieing a slow death so am going to replace it. I intend to get a good quality one to pass on to my son and grand sons so need some help from the pros. I have looked at an IR that has dual pistons, 3000 1 inch strokes per min and a 17.5 in X2.5 inch board and uses up to 9CFM of air. Can any of the pros on this board recommend other US made brands that will work great for a long time?

Trees

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2009, 06:31 PM

I use a Hutchins Hustler. http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/hutc...1985-1065.aspx

It's a straightline and really is the "cadillac" of them. I went through two of those ingersol's that you mentioned (everyday use) before I shelled out the money for the hustler. It's a bit pricey compared to others but well worth it IMO. My buddy has an orbital one from hutchins and has had it for i know 7-8 years and it's still going strong. Had my straightline for about 4 years now.
Old 08-16-2009, 07:05 PM

Last photo:

yep, I heard hutchins is about the best for inline sanders.

I have a viking mini air file I bought off the snap on truck many moons ago. I heard they were a decent brand, but i've had a bit of trouble with mine since I first bought it. I works okay and has good power, but once it gets just a little bit dirty and some dust in its track, it constantly hangs up on me. so I am constantly blowing it out, or putting some oil in it or the track. Which isn't cool, because then you are apt to blow some oil over what your sanding.

I would buy a new one, but really I don't use it a whole heck of a lot. If I have quite a bit of filler I do roughing work with an 8" mud hog, and do most boarding of bodyfiller and blocking of primer by hand unless its a used car lot special type job.
Old 08-16-2009, 07:12 PM

Last photo:

The problem with the HF sander is that they use plain raw metal parts for the air valve , etc..instead of chrome plated parts. They rust from the moisture in the air. I've taken mine apart to clean. There isn't much to them. Caution: If you take it apart, you'll have to synchronoze the gears properly when you assemble.
BTW the "dual piston" feature is just a marketing sales pitch IMO. I believe all inline sanders have (at least) 2 pistons.
Old 08-16-2009, 07:22 PM

Last photo:

Thanks for the replies. I will know in the morning how much I will have to shell out for the Hutchinson Hustler. The parts house where I by lots of parts can get them so I will find out how much they value my business. We were having a hard time getting the specs on it Fri, but should have them tomorrow.

I have done some light polishing on my cylinders and pistons and have become an expert on timing it after assembly. Dry lubricant is about the only thing that I will put on the sorry tracks and I only add two drops of oil before starting the day.

Trees
Old 08-16-2009, 07:41 PM

Last photo:

Well now that you've mentioned the pistons,....did you notice that they have grooves for seals, but there isn't any. I wonder if a more expensive sander with the same design will have seals in the grooves, or the seals aren't ever used.

Regarding the Hustler it is powerful, but it is very heavy. Something to think about.
Old 08-16-2009, 08:38 PM
"Love what you do for a living

Last photo:

I bought a used blue point cut off wheel and inline sander they both look beat to hell but they perfom like a champ!
Old 08-17-2009, 02:55 PM

Last photo:

Most of these inline sanders are the same design except for the Hustler.
Maybe the more expensive ones use better metal.

Old 08-17-2009, 04:33 PM

Last photo:

Dynabrade makes a real nice light weight, smooth running, dual piston.
And Hutchins would be my second choice.
But I quit using them many years ago.
I can work faster, and get a better job with an "idiot stick".
Old 08-17-2009, 05:08 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

I bought one from O'Reilly for around $80.00 Seems to be a good one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BigM574DB.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	8.5 KB
ID:	40038  
Old 08-17-2009, 06:23 PM
EFI Rules and Carbs Drool

Last wiki edit: The FREE T Bucket plans
Last journal entry: Sold Everything for a new project
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

I have one, it works fine.

But, for some reason I find myslfe putting it down and picking up a regular saning block or board. Not sure why, but it just doesn't seem to cut, even with real arggresive grits. Maybe not enough stroke length?

I find I have better control with a manual board and maybe it's less work becuase it's so much lighter. (And believe me, I am first in line to find an easier way to do things)
Old 08-17-2009, 07:19 PM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

"HUTCHINS", best sander on the planet,also the most stolen...I bought a hutchins da sander from the local pawn shop $40.00 when mine new one got stolen ,it was bent batterd and beat looking that was about ten years ago I use it every day,I've never in 35 yrs ever wore one out...there orbital straight line sander is quicker and better than ANYTHING I've ever used...if it says hutchins its the best and your grand kids WILL be using it...if it dont get stolen first.I couldnt even tell you how many pads I've wore out with them.it's not to often I'll rave about a product but when I doooooooooooo .

Last edited by deadbodyman; 08-17-2009 at 07:30 PM.
Old 08-18-2009, 12:52 AM

Last photo:

I use a Hutchins. Got mine from Ebay. Works great
David
Old 08-18-2009, 05:39 PM

Last photo:

Thanks for more inputs. Deadbodyman, I was coming on to ask a question about the Hutchins inline orbital and there you were with the answer, I think. I ordered the 8020 with out reading it closely. After reviewing my order, I saw the orbital and wondered if it would work as well as the straight line. I also went on eBay and noticed a big differences in Buy Now prices of the same new model numbers of the Hutchins. The Hutchins Hustler was a high of $379 and a low of $229 and some of these were from the same tool dealers. I am on the verge of getting the $229 Hustler and returning the one I ordered that should be here tomorrow.

Any thoughts on comparing the Inline Orbital 8020 and the Hustler?

Trees
Old 08-18-2009, 06:07 PM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

I've never used the hustler but if its a hutch its good.my orbital is the same size standerd file pad as all the other line files I can actually block with 180 and 320 with it for good production work or a quick knock down before hand blocking super straight jobs,but like I said I've never saw a need to try any other,like the hustler.....its that good,heck you can sand paint with 320 with it instead of a da if you wanted too,its a great finish sander...but you'll be hard pressed to find someone that used one and didnt like it...that goes for any hutch.normally I'd be first in line to beach about the cost of anything but these sanders are worth every penny

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.