Hot Rod Forum banner

Line Lock

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  redsdad 
#1 ·
so i got my line lock in the mail the other day and just a quick question,or two. If I hook it up to control the rear brakes on my pick would it be a bad idea? Also on a 71 c-10 can i just hook it up right out of the master cylinder with the appropriate lines and fittings, and the farthest forward reservoir and line would be for the rear right, since the front apply first? Any help would be appreciated.

#2 ·
I believe a line lock is for the front brakes.......... line lock , for drag racing, lock front brakes and broil rear tires to perfection, season and let tire smoke clear before racing .
Just having some fun, what is the purpose for locking the rear? If you have a proportional valve you would want to place the line lock after the valve........ between the valve and the wheel cylinder ....... brake line from valve to line lock solenoid. from line lock solenoid to brake wheel cylinders

Parts in order of assembly master........brake line......proportional valve.......brake line.......line lock.......brake line...........wheel cylinders

#3 ·
i know there usually left for the front but i was thinking by putting them on there i could put a toggle switch on to control to the valve instead of a momentary button, switch it on, then hit the brakes, front engaged rear not, and i can slowly let off the brakes and re-apply to get some distance, mainly for right now im just doing it for fun until i put the motor together thats sitting in parts in my shop.

#5 ·
If you put a line lock on the driven wheels all you're going to be doing is adding undue wear and tear on those brake linings IMO. A momentary switch is a NHRA rule, but I use a toggle switch on my street car. When you engage the switch the amount of pressure applied and held at the brakes is in direct porportion to the amount of pressure you apply to the brake pedal, if you want the car to continue to roll, but have the tires smoking you just add pressure to the brake pedal while adding throttle until the tires break loose and you are rolling at the speed you want to. BTW it's not a bad theft deterrent either IMO, leave the switch in the on position and if someone swipes your car the first time they hit the brakes it'll activate the solenoid, the harder they hit the brakes trying to figure it out the tighter it'll lock the brakes :D

#6 ·
I would keep the momentary switch. You never know when you might be in a situation that would require immediate return to normal brake function.

I believe you can adopt a technique stick shift drag racers use to stage to accomplish your rolling burnouts. Obtain a brake pressure gauge and install it in the front brake circuit between the brakes and the line-lock (yes, put the line lock in the front brake circuit). Then you can experiment by pushing on the brake pedal until the front brake pressure is a certain amount, apply the line lock, and then attempt your burnout. At some certain pressure (hopefully a small range instead of one value) the vehicle with have enough front brake resistance to allow the back tires to break loose but not quite enough to prevent the front tires from rolling. Once you know where the "sweet spot" is, you can set it and roll.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.