Line Lock for boat launch - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 03-07-2012, 07:05 PM
done learning, done living
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Middle of the Mitten
Age: 29
Posts: 1,718
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 159
Thanked 92 Times in 83 Posts
Line Lock for boat launch

I have a 2001 Glastron GX205 that I tow with my 93 K1500. I don't have a parking brake on the truck which doesn't really bother me until I go to the boat launch. Some of the boat launches don't bother me to much as they are not that inclined. The boat launch that I go to quite often on Lake Michigan is quite steep. It is always on the back of my mind that when I am loading and unloading my boat that something is going to happen like the truck is going to jump out of park or the driveshaft is going to snap or the transfer case is going to jump into neutral, etc. This has always somewhat made me nervous that after I get ran over by my truck and if I live through it I am going to have to pay someone to fish my rig out of the lake and probably pay some hefty fines. I have done some reading about line locks and from what I have read is that you apply the brakes and then hold the switch and then release the switch when you want to release the brakes. I am curious if there is a setup that I could apply the breaks, activate a switch or valve and then leave the cab and the brakes will still be applied?

    Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 03-07-2012, 08:20 PM
S10 Racer's Avatar
http://www.warsprints.com
 

Last journal entry: W.A.R. (Wingless Auto Racing) Sprint Car Racing
Last photo:
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: At The Dirt Tracks
Age: 55
Posts: 1,939
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 4
Thanked 74 Times in 66 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crussell85
I have a 2001 Glastron GX205 that I tow with my 93 K1500. I don't have a parking brake on the truck which doesn't really bother me until I go to the boat launch. Some of the boat launches don't bother me to much as they are not that inclined. The boat launch that I go to quite often on Lake Michigan is quite steep. It is always on the back of my mind that when I am loading and unloading my boat that something is going to happen like the truck is going to jump out of park or the driveshaft is going to snap or the transfer case is going to jump into neutral, etc. This has always somewhat made me nervous that after I get ran over by my truck and if I live through it I am going to have to pay someone to fish my rig out of the lake and probably pay some hefty fines. I have done some reading about line locks and from what I have read is that you apply the brakes and then hold the switch and then release the switch when you want to release the brakes. I am curious if there is a setup that I could apply the breaks, activate a switch or valve and then leave the cab and the brakes will still be applied?
I see two different options for you.

1. There are lever type manual line locks which is what you would want in your case, like this one. Most truck equipment companies sell them as well. http://www.awdirect.com/lever-lock-m...ake-locks-pto/

2. Get married and have your wife help with the boat.

P.S. Pick option #1.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 03-07-2012, 08:28 PM
done learning, done living
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Middle of the Mitten
Age: 29
Posts: 1,718
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 159
Thanked 92 Times in 83 Posts
She does help me with the boat. She holds the rope so it doesn't float away!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 03-07-2012, 08:30 PM
406 bug's Avatar
9.82 @ 139mph
 
Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: phoenix, arizona
Posts: 583
Wiki Edits: 1

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by S10 Racer
I see two different options for you.

1. There are lever type manual line locks which is what you would want in your case, like this one. Most truck equipment companies sell them as well. http://www.awdirect.com/lever-lock-m...ake-locks-pto/

2. Get married and have your wife help with the boat.

P.S. Pick option #1.

Option 3. fix your parking brake!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 03-07-2012, 08:31 PM
done learning, done living
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Middle of the Mitten
Age: 29
Posts: 1,718
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 159
Thanked 92 Times in 83 Posts
I'm not looking to spend that much money on a line lock
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 03-07-2012, 08:37 PM
S10 Racer's Avatar
http://www.warsprints.com
 

Last journal entry: W.A.R. (Wingless Auto Racing) Sprint Car Racing
Last photo:
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: At The Dirt Tracks
Age: 55
Posts: 1,939
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 4
Thanked 74 Times in 66 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crussell85
I'm not looking to spend that much money on a line lock
Ok. well there is a price for piece of mind. Guess fixing your parking brake is the cheapest then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 03-07-2012, 08:39 PM
1ownerT's Avatar
Home School Valedictorian
 
Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage Last photo:
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Iowa
Age: 53
Posts: 1,645
Wiki Edits: 4

Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I taught my wife how to fire the boat and pull it to the dock after I backed in enough to float it, and how to pull it on the trailer to load it. I sure wasn't going to have her back the truck down the ramp since it was a manual trans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 03-07-2012, 08:45 PM
starnest's Avatar
elkyholic
 

Last journal entry: Center Link Installed
Last photo:
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Virginia Beach
Age: 60
Posts: 327
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 4
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Definitely fix the parking brake. But I wouldn't rely on the parking brake to keep my truck out of the lake.

Also get a pair of those 5" rubber wheel chocks to put behind the back wheels. Put an eyebolt in the top of the chocks and use some nylon rope to tie them to the rear bumper, this will let them drag along as you pull up the ramp. Make the rope long enough to reach the rear wheels, but short enough that the trailer doesn't roll over them.

Since your wife is there, teach her how to set the chocks while you hold the brake. That way you are chocked before you get out of the cab.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 03-07-2012, 08:47 PM
done learning, done living
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Middle of the Mitten
Age: 29
Posts: 1,718
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 159
Thanked 92 Times in 83 Posts
what if I was to route the front brake lines into the cab and run it through a shut off valve? I am talking about something like a LP gas valve or something like that? If I apply the brakes and close the valve would that hold the front brakes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 03-07-2012, 08:52 PM
done learning, done living
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Middle of the Mitten
Age: 29
Posts: 1,718
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 159
Thanked 92 Times in 83 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by starnest
Definitely fix the parking brake. But I wouldn't rely on the parking brake to keep my truck out of the lake.

Also get a pair of those 5" rubber wheel chocks to put behind the back wheels. Put an eyebolt in the top of the chocks and use some nylon rope to tie them to the rear bumper, this will let them drag along as you pull up the ramp. Make the rope long enough to reach the rear wheels, but short enough that the trailer doesn't roll over them.

Since your wife is there, teach her how to set the chocks while you hold the brake. That way you are chocked before you get out of the cab.
There are days that I don't want to get in the water because it is to cold so I normally step on the tire from the dock and into the back of the truck and onto the tongue of the trailer to load and un load. My back tires are always in the water no matter what boat launch I go to so I would have to get in the water every time to chock my wheel. I always turn my front tires so if something was to happen I hope it would turn into the dock and possibly stop it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 03-08-2012, 12:26 PM
starnest's Avatar
elkyholic
 

Last journal entry: Center Link Installed
Last photo:
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Virginia Beach
Age: 60
Posts: 327
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 4
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I don't blame you for not wanting to get your feet wet, besides the rubber chocks might float if the rear wheels are in deep enough.

You could always put a winch on the front of your truck.

Just keep in mind that even a 10,000 lb winch might not be enough to stop a boat/trailer/truck from slippling down the ramp.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 03-08-2012, 01:41 PM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Syracuse, NY
Posts: 2,387
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 731
Thanked 259 Times in 231 Posts
I'll ask the dumb question.

What could possibly be wrong with your parking brake that it costs more to fix than adding a roll control?

Additionally, how does not having a parking/emergency brake not bother you. Stopping my rig, especially when towing is always more important to me than going faster...just my .02
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 03-09-2012, 11:10 AM
S10 Racer's Avatar
http://www.warsprints.com
 

Last journal entry: W.A.R. (Wingless Auto Racing) Sprint Car Racing
Last photo:
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: At The Dirt Tracks
Age: 55
Posts: 1,939
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 4
Thanked 74 Times in 66 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crussell85
what if I was to route the front brake lines into the cab and run it through a shut off valve? I am talking about something like a LP gas valve or something like that? If I apply the brakes and close the valve would that hold the front brakes?
Gas valves are made for gas, not holding brake pressure. Using the wrong parts in an application is very dangerous and especially using them for a brake application. Don't "half-as*" it, do it right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 03-09-2012, 02:02 PM
done learning, done living
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Middle of the Mitten
Age: 29
Posts: 1,718
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 159
Thanked 92 Times in 83 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by S10 Racer
Gas valves are made for gas, not holding brake pressure. Using the wrong parts in an application is very dangerous and especially using them for a brake application. Don't "half-as*" it, do it right.
I totally agree. Thanks for calling me out on it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 03-09-2012, 04:43 PM
Shelby1's Avatar
Steel Dreams
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Lillian,AL
Age: 69
Posts: 317
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
As starnest said fix the park brake but do not rely on it to hold your vehicle....some park brakes will not hold a vehicle under a load that will cause it to roll backwards ,as in a boat ramp. I have seen this happen more than once both cars and trucks are capable of doing this.
Some years back I built a "poor mans traction control" for a friend for his limited slip 4x4. I installed 12 volt hyd control valves from a junk tractor into his rear axle brake lines ,one on each side of the diff, to lock a side all you had to do was step on the brakes and flip the switch to the side that was spinning and release the brakes,once you got moving flip the switch off. You could lock the whole axle by installing a valve in the main line coming from the master cly to the rear axle and work it the same way.......just a thought
Kenny
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Line lock jake_arcticcat Suspension - Brakes - Steering 1 09-05-2009 10:24 AM
line lock steve t Suspension - Brakes - Steering 7 05-10-2005 06:49 AM
What exactly is a line lock? frankenvette Transmission - Rearend 39 03-16-2005 07:03 AM
What can a line lock do? elukas General Rodding Tech 7 01-13-2004 07:52 PM
LINE LOCK BIGBLOCKSTANG Hotrodders' Lounge 7 11-06-2002 12:10 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.