Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Line lock for handicapped
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2012, 09:25 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fang16
Here's the deal. I have one leg (right leg for gas pedal) and I'd like to sit up my line lock so I could use it for staging at the lights as it's impossible to hold the brake and bring up the R's for the launch. A burn out in the box would be nice too. I know a trans brake would work but the car is street driven often and a T/B would be a lot of hassle.
The TB wouldn't help w/a burnout, it locks up the tranny by engaging two gears at the same time- so no driveshaft rotation (or the ability to do a burnout) is the result. But a line lock would work just fine for you.

The deal w/a line lock for staging and launching is the rpm has to be kept below the point where the front tires would be pushed by the rear tires. This isn't a problem when doing a burnout- you have wet tires for that. But once you pull up to the staging area, the tires are now hot and sticky, plus the track is (usually) prepped w/traction compound. That adds up to a situation where the rear tires are going to almost assuredly be able to overpower the front brakes or the tire's traction to the track, especially if you have wide sticky rear drag tires and/or skinny front tires.

That said, there's no reason you can't launch off the line lock- providing the rpm is lower than the threshold where the rears overcome the front's ability to hold the car from rolling. It'll take some practice (that's what the 'test and tune' sessions are for) but in a little while you'll be leaving like a pro.