Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Line lock for handicapped
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2012, 03:53 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fang16
Don't really understand toggle switch inner workings. Could you give me some examples of what poles I'd need? Your quote above is interesting. Another question, sense I'm using two line locks could it be set up to lock all 4 brakes or would there be a use for that?
Actually before I edited the post it read, "Or a toggle switch to select front or rear (or both)." But I didn't really envision a need for all four wheels being locked simultaneously. But I suppose you could do just that to launch, if the necessary launch rpm was too high for the fronts to hold it from moving in the starting beams.

But for using fronts or rears one at a time, you could use a single pole double throw (SPDT) switch, it makes a complete circuit when in either position. Position "1" would be front, position "2" would be rears, for example. You would still have an arming switch to power the line locks up, the toggle would select which line lock received that power. Now, I'm not that good (at all) at designing circuits- but I'm sure someone here can give you a better way of doing it.

From the interweb:
A Single Pole-Double Throw (SPDT) switch connects one terminal to either of two terminals (three terminals in all). A Double Pole-Single Throw (DPST) switch has four terminals that connect or disconnect two pairs of terminals simultaneously. And a Double Pole-Double Throw (DPDT) switch (six terminals) connects one pair of terminals to either of two other terminal pairs.