Liquid mask ? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2006, 11:06 PM
Rust makes me cuss

Last journal entry: Subaru Van
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Liquid mask ?

I was talking with a house painter who brushes liquid mask on complex wood windows and sprays over the whole thing.......he showed me how he then peels the liquid mask like plastic off the glass in sheets.

I don't want to sound stupid here......but, it got me thinking. Is there something like this availble for painting cars. Not sure if Liquid mask is good only for wood. Seems like it would save a lot paper and tape? Probably wouldn't work good to cover a opening such as a door that has been removed....but for a closed allover paint job with the glass in, maybe?

Tape and paper seem to be the norm for cars so I guess sticking with a known quantity is best. I just couldn't help but wonder if the Liquid mask would work good ....or, even save time remasking/repapering such as going from BC to CC.

Mark
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2006, 03:45 AM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

There is a spray mask product that is used in the shops. It is good for overspray, but since it is water based, and washes off easy, I would not recommend using it as the primary line of defense.

It is also alot different going back and touching up an area that the stuff got, where it shouldn't, when painting with latex paints.

Aaron
Old 11-03-2006, 06:26 AM

Ive used that liquid mask a few times and here is what I know. First , you are leaving the masking on the wood so its acting like a primer, and not a very good one at that. I highly doubt that it would be good on metal. Second, its like $120.00 a gallon, and third it lays out very rough with pin size bubbles and is not sandable. If I were you I would stick to what works, Tape & Paper.
Old 11-03-2006, 06:42 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faux King Painter
Ive used that liquid mask a few times and here is what I know. First , you are leaving the masking on the wood so its acting like a primer, and not a very good one at that. I highly doubt that it would be good on metal. Second, its like $120.00 a gallon, and third it lays out very rough with pin size bubbles and is not sandable. If I were you I would stick to what works, Tape & Paper.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Not sure about the wood liquid mask your talking about but there is a liquid mask for cars that I use all the time.
How to use is outline the area with 18" paper and then spray the rest of the car with liquid mask.
Where I use it is like on the vette I'm doing now, the frame, drive train and engine is don and assembled. I then spray the whole chassis and engine area.
Set the body on the frame. Of course now everything is covered in engine compartment and underneath car with plastic but over spray can and will seep through.

When I'm done painting and buffing I will rinse off the engine, jack the car up and rinse off the frame and the over spray will wash off with the mask.

ALL mask is is a highly concentrated soap with polyvinyl alcohol added so it dries.

Costs $15-20 a gallon.
Will not wash off with solvents.
Will not buff off.
ONLY way to get off is with water.
Old 11-03-2006, 03:28 PM

Last photo:

yep, we used liquid mask in the bodyshop all the time when only painting part of the car. Like barry said, you need to outline your panel with masking tape and paper the first 18 inches and load up a spray gun in spray the liquid mask on the rest of the car. After painted, wash the car and the liquid mask will be removed. I think its a horse a piece in time betweem throwing plastic over a car for overspray protection or spraying on liquid mask. The liquid mask as long as you spray it on all the parts you shouldn't have overspray. If you don't tape plastic down good and tight, there is a possibility some overspray will get under the plastic and onto the car. Now there are plastics that you can tape right up against your repair edge without paint flaking off it. I don't remember there being any plastic like that years ago, but the plastic that can be used like that can save some time. Outline the panel with 3/4 inch masking tape. pull the plastic over the vehicle with the right side out, and then cut out the area where your panel is and tape it down to your outline tape. We mask off big semis and throwing the plastic over and taping it doesn't take all that long to do. We roll some tape into a circle with the sticky side out and stick it to the body, so the plastic can be pushed tight to the body in spots. Prevents the exhaust fan from blowing it all around and if plastic is pulled tight and tacked down, less chance of overspray getting where it shouldn't. I really don't have a favorite, but I did like using the spray mask also.
Old 11-03-2006, 05:17 PM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

In a couple of shops that I have worked in, we sprayed the cars as soon as they come in the shop. The spray mask not only protects them from overspray, but also protects them somewhat from grinding sparks and metal grindings.

At one shop I worked at, the cars only got spray mask when they went into the paint shop. When the cars were cleaned for delivery, the stuff was supposed to be washed off. We had several cars where we thought it was overspray on them, and tried clay bars and even buffing to get it off. Then we found out that simply washing them with water would remove it. The clean-up guy had alot of explaining to do, when the manager and I were out there washing the cars !

Aaron
Old 11-03-2006, 05:43 PM

Last photo:

LOL some people pulling in minimum wage want to take all the shortcuts. Thats pretty bad. I worked in my younger years as a wash guy for deliveries and cleaned up some bodyshops cars. I remember pulling a long water hose around one places lot with soap and bucket and tire dressing and cleaning all the cars on the lot. Also a few places did everything from bodywork, painting and buffing and cleanup when the paint was done. Someone can have that job of washing cars all day, body men are pigs and some of the used or customer cars were never cleaned inside in thier life
Old 11-03-2006, 08:05 PM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

When I started working, everyone that wasn't born with a silver spoon in their mouth, started at the bottom of the ladder. We were taught to do the best we could, at any job we did, even if we didn't like the job. In the days of honest job references, no one would consider hiring someone until they talked to the current or previous employer.

I spent alot of time doing sanding, masking, unmasking, and cleaning the vehicles and shop. The vehicles were oftem masked with newspaper, to save costs. We had no spray mask, or even plastic to cover cars with. We could get rid of a good portion of a Sunday edition of the Chicago Tribune doing one car, if it wasn't a complete repaint, simply by covering the parts of the car that weren't being painted.

Now days, many young people take advantage of the fact that most employers will provide no information about former employees. They expect to start at the top of the ladder, making big bucks. If they are not thrilled with the job, they do as little as they can get away with.

Actually, masking and clean-up positions used to get you a starting job in a body shop. Now days, we have spray mask, and most all trim is removed before painting. That leaves not much a need for someone to mask, and it's almost impossible to get someone responsible enough to do clean up. A vehicle with poor paint and body work, but is clean, is actually easier to deliver to a customer than one that has good work, and isn't cleaned properly.

Aaron
Old 11-04-2006, 07:42 AM

Last photo:

Barry put me onto the spray mask some time ago as a solution to storage problems(cat tracks ) and I have since discovered it is very useful for it's intended purpose as protection from over-spray, however if you do get heavy spray on it then it can be a bear to remove. I used it on some jambs and got quite a bit of clear on it while while spraying a door and it would not wash off because the clear prevented the water from reaching the mask solution to dissolve it. This was misuse of the product because it is not intended to be sprayed heavily and the instructions clearly say to mask off the immediate area which I did not do, that time anyway.
Old 11-04-2006, 09:08 AM

Last photo:

Like Old red says there are some drawbacks to be aware of.
1st for storage of cars is great for cats, people, kids and will protect form light scratches.

The drawbacks to avoid. Spraying an engine and running the engine.
Spraying the outside of a car and setting in sun for more then a couple of hours.
Also what happened to the jambs of oldred and I list his problem as the solution to all the other problems is the same.

All you can do is set up a mist or sprinkler system and let it run for a couple of hours and it will turn to soap, how long it takes depends on the abuse.

A couple of years ago a shop had used the 3M and turns out when truth was known car had set outside for weeks with this stuff on it waiting for parts but not out in rain.
Could not get off, 3m rep had shop call me and this guy starts b****ing at me but one we understood each other he set up a sprinkler with car under it and it took right at seven hours for stuff to wash off.
He had told the 3M rep that car was not outside for more than 3 hours as I believe there tech sheet says no more than 4-6 hours.

Moral of story if you ever need help tell the poor rep the truth and they usually can come up with a solution to fix the problem.
Old 11-04-2006, 01:59 PM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

Hey Barry.... I would never have thought of using the stuff on the cats and kids.

Aaron
Old 11-04-2006, 02:29 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by adtkart
Hey Barry.... I would never have thought of using the stuff on the cats and kids.

Aaron

Ya think that is why when they went to college that is why they never moved back home again?

Could be new use for product!
Old 11-05-2006, 10:13 PM

Last photo:

spray mask

it is a great product however i tried 3m a couple of times and had the same results it just wouldn't come off. any ways now i use five star brand it is about $ 65 for a five gallon and it is great.
Old 11-16-2006, 01:25 PM
Rust makes me cuss

Last journal entry: Subaru Van
Last photo:

I know the merits of "liquid" or spray mask have been covered well in this thread. I've given up on the housepainting type for automotive use...... And, after spending 4-5 hours masking with paper and tape last night a ran across this...

http://www.custompainting.com/pages/...skinfopage.htm

They make it look easy of course. .....carefully cutting through the mask to add art.

Pretty cool stuff. 3 coats with a 3.0 tip on a dedicated gun. ---water based mask

I'm a novice@ paint. Someday I'd like to paint custom graphics. This looks like a good way to get there.....

Mark
Old 11-16-2006, 05:14 PM

Last photo:

I have found that it works good as a release agent for fiberglass molds too.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.