Little help please - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2011, 08:39 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Little help please

Alright. So i am geting ready to start doing some body work on my cadillac. I do not have a garage to use at this time. I will be doing most my work outside.

Right now i sanded my quarter panel down to fix a dent, filled it in with some bondo, primerd it with air cans ( i know bad idea but had to ).. what is a good primer to throw on the car as i go over it doing the body work, got to do little by little.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2011, 09:32 AM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:

if you're doing rattle can I'm assuming you don't have much experience so I'd suggest featherfill or slick sand, but it is porous and you don't want moisture getting under there. If it's not gonna rain you still got morning dew. Not sure if that's a problem. Anyhow, either a urethane 2k or a polyester primer, with the polyester primer being the one with the most fill. A 2k is not as porous as a polyester primer like featherfill and slicksand.
Old 05-01-2011, 05:23 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

There are no good rattle can primers,....and you cant get your sandpaper and bondo at the dollar store,I've seen lots of cars started like this and they all sit out back rotting away never finished because someone thought body and paint work was easy and bondo was bondo and primer was primer ...ITS NOT....Your wasting your time,You simply cant do this work without the proper tools and materials.You'll just be making a big mess of it.
If you want to learn this stuff start with some entry level tools like a compressor ,sander and a spray gun,with places like harbor freight around its much easier to get a propper start.spending 10.00 at the dollar store on bondo ,sandpaper and primer is just a waste of money and your time.

To answer your question ,get the cheapest can of primer you can find ,none of them are any good.
What you should be asking is ,How do I build my own kick as's compressor for under 100.00 ??????
Old 05-01-2011, 06:11 AM

Last journal entry: Body mods
Last photo:

I built my roadster pickup body on the lawn many years ago and had to do the same thing. I had some of the dollar store primer but it's sucky. I have some high solids sandable primer with the brand name B D that is real good. Rustoleum also seems to have a lot of solids and goes on with a nice coat. As mentioned, any primer is porous and will eventually rust through the primer so you might want to rattle can some enamel on over it. You will probably want to sand the whole thing again before the real paint job anyway.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.