A little help please. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2011, 02:46 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

A little help please.

I am restoring my 62 Buick Skylark and I am down to detailing the engine compartment.

The new all aluminum stroker motor is ready to go back in but would like a little input.

The car is black and the exterior's gloss black paint is also used on the firewall, inner fenders etc. it is just way too much black. The engine looks good because it is polished aluminum with aluminum valve cover powder coated red as well as the oil pan. Does anyone have any suggestions on engine compartments upgrades to off set the blackness. Would it be weird to paint the compartment a dark gray or some similar color? Even the Kelsey Hayes power brake booster and master cylinder are all black from the factory.
I want to use the stock radiator so a polished aluminum radaitor is not an option at this time.

I know it probably is a stupid question but when I but the great looking engine in the black hole it seems to almost disappears.

Thanks.
Mike

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2011, 03:59 PM

Last photo:

Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt546
I am restoring my 62 Buick Skylark and I am down to detailing the engine compartment.

The new all aluminum stroker motor is ready to go back in but would like a little input.

The car is black and the exterior's gloss black paint is also used on the firewall, inner fenders etc. it is just way too much black. The engine looks good because it is polished aluminum with aluminum valve cover powder coated red as well as the oil pan. Does anyone have any suggestions on engine compartments upgrades to off set the blackness. Would it be weird to paint the compartment a dark gray or some similar color? Even the Kelsey Hayes power brake booster and master cylinder are all black from the factory.
I want to use the stock radiator so a polished aluminum radaitor is not an option at this time.

I know it probably is a stupid question but when I but the great looking engine in the black hole it seems to almost disappears.

Thanks.
Mike
As they say there is no stupid question, but there are hard ones. This is a question, that everyone almost can answer, but with a different answer, first what do you mean to off set it, are you talking a different color or some thing you can put on the inner fenders? IMO you are going to pretty much going to have to take what you have. Another color, a lite color would eat the engine up more, a dark color you would have what you have. My 33 I have a All polished engine and the paint will be dark. I don't have as big a compartment as you, but it is what it is.JMO

Bob
Old 10-20-2011, 04:43 PM

Last photo:

Chrome everything that comes off.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:31 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

A checkered flag look on the firewall? white squares on the existing black. Other than that, I think with enuff chrome on the engine it will look good all black on the firewall.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:19 PM

Last photo:

How about a red engine compartment... or gold? Those are excitement colors, and if you want to show off the engine, that would really grab people's attention!

If the interior is something other than black, then you need to consider that too.

The gray and silver that everyone is using is really boring! Those are called neutral colors, because they have so little "personality" that they don't conflict with anything. :-(

It's really a case of what YOU like.
Old 10-21-2011, 01:34 PM

Last photo:

Help

As I said everyone will have an answer, but they all will be different. I didn't mention it in my first post because like Jay said, it is your choice. I had a 40 2dr years ago that was all black including under the hood. It did have a great set of flames on it, 4 colors, one was yellow, so I painted the block yellow. The engine had a lot of chrome, with the yellow block and the chrome, and everything else black it looked good.

But again you will have to make the final choice. Good luck.

Bob
Old 10-21-2011, 03:44 PM

Aloha,
I think that your gray idea is good. Easier to see in there and will set off all the black stuff. Sounds as if you have got a real nice project going there.
Old 10-21-2011, 06:10 PM
MOPAR Guy

Last journal entry: Restoration of my Chrysler
Last photo:

You said your valve covers and oil pan were powder coated red... what about continuing with a candy red on a few components? Engine fan/fan shroud, coil, air cleaner... radiator( )... could be over-done, but it'd be cool.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.