Hot Rod Forum banner

little help w/suzuki tranny

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  ireclipse 
#1 ·
* just realized this site seems to be ecusively about hot rods, and sorry for not noticing earlier. but if anyone could help, that would be great!!!!
*i dont really know much about cars at all, so excuse any mistakes i likely will make
this is my first post here and i looked for some info on this but i couldent find any (if i missed anything please link it to me), I have a 1994 suzuki sidekick JX 16 valve 4 door hardtop and i recently bought a used transmission (i think it was a chevy brand, but it was compatible w/my car) and had it installed because my old transmission was basically 'junk' and would not be worth rebuilding. so anyways, this transmission only seems to shift when you let off the gass. except for like the very first gear which will shift fine when you accelerate like a normal car. I was wondering what the problem may be because my old transmission did the same thing. :confused: so i ahve really 3 questions for you all
1. by driving it like this am I damaging the transmission
2. is this problem a sign that i will need yet again, a new transmission
3. what may the solution be??
I already have the car at my mechanic but i am very anxious to hear what any of your opinions regarding this matter may be. thank you all for your help in advance!

See less See more
#2 ·
it is possibly a kickdown linkage/cable problem. basically the cable is adjusted too far and is holding the trans in gear because the cable is pulling the kickdown rod out too far.
This kickdown function is supposed to work when you put your foot down hard on the gas and the accelerator linkage pulls the cable which pulls the rod in the trans and changes down a gear. One way to tell is to first find if it has one (normally a cable from the accelerator linkage to the trans) and then diconnect it and go for a drive. Maybe it broke in the past and someone just shortened it.
Suzuki and chevy have a badge engineering agreement but the trans would be built by suzuki.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.