Little P-Chop tutorial - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hot Rod Art
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2007, 10:59 PM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Little P-Chop tutorial

I'm far from being a photoshop wizard like some here at HR.Com, but thought I'd provide a brief description of how I did my entry for Matt's "challenge/contest" to p-chop a beat up Hillman for those of you who might be just getting started with this (or similar) software.

Here's is what we were asked to start with:

I started by erasing all the background pixels - I just use the "erase" function, but others probably have a faster/easier way to do it. I also flipped the car horizontally for how I wanted it on the final picture.

The biggest challenge I had in this p-chop was to get a uniform finish on the car since it had so many different colors and bondo repairs etc. I first desaturated the color (this gives a black and white image but retains all the detail) and then "smudged" one fairly large area until it produced a gray primer color. I then used the clone stamp going outward from that smudged area to basically "paint" the entire car - being careful to retain all the detail lines and sunlit areas.

Next I applied the orange finish paint by simply making a layer of orange in p-shop and then laying it over the top of the car using the "vivid light" blending mode (under the layers menu) and an opacity of 92%. Note that this leaves some residue around the edges of the car that will need to be cleaned up later with the eraser.

I then added wheels, headers, and the graphic on the door which I had recently done for my sedan delivery. Each of these items was added in a separate layer so that adjustments can be made.

And finally I picked an interesting background from a CD of stock pictures I have and put the finished car over it on another layer.

Advertisement
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2007, 12:46 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Jeeez, Dewey, is there anything you can't do with a car? That looked like fun, I'll have to get my wife to tutor me. Dan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2007, 01:15 AM
Lost in the 50s!

Last journal entry: time to start body work
Last photo:

I wish I could do things like that. Photoshop stuff is always so impressive to me.

I took a "paint shop pro" class in college, but it is a joke compared to photoshop. I learned nothing about the layers and the main things you use with this software.

I can re-size pictures with it...thats about it.

I have to work the rest of the week (in between dialysis days) and prepare for midtems next Monday, but I will play with the software and see if I can do anything at all with it as soon as I get some time.

I also have to stick the fender back on the truck. I am going a few hours away to a cruise in on Saturday night (after dialysis).

You did this the wrong week!

EDIT: Where is this contest? Please link me...I cannot find it.
Old 10-02-2007, 05:15 AM
Living At The Speed Of Life

Last photo:

Itīs right here.
Old 10-02-2007, 07:30 AM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinger
Jeeez, Dewey, is there anything you can't do with a car?
Well, if I could finish REAL cars in the time it takes me to P-Chop a car...I'd be one rich dude.

Interestingly, there are some close similarities between doing a real car and a photoshop car. At least the way I photoshop. You first have to strip the car down to it's bare essentials and all the "parts" you are going to use on the car need to be cleaned (of either extraneous pixels or rust & dirt). Then you need to repair the body and get it uniform and smooth - pixel color in the case of P-shop, metal & filler & primer in the case of the real thing. Then you need to shop around and modify all the "hop up" pieces you're going to install. Speedway and Summit in the case of the real thing, web sites and photo collections in the case of P-shop. Probably more similarities as well, but these are the ones that jumped out to me as I was doing this little tutorial.

BTW, I find P-Chopping is a great way to unwind for an evening after putting in a day of "weldandgrind" on the real thing.

Brian, maybe we should start a separate thread (or we could do it here) of the questions you have as you get into this. I sometimes think that is the best way to do a tutorial. Instead of going to great lengths to try to walk through every step of a p-chop...it might be better just to have people respond to the specific areas where you get stuck - or can't find a "tool" you want - or want to know how to do a specific task. I'm sure others on here could provide some great tips. Yes, there are huge P-shop sites with lots of tutorials on the web but they are pretty daunting to try to find what you need. What we need is a thread/tutorial very specific to just doing car related modifications.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:46 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Body and exterior tips Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Great job cboy!! I always wanted to learn to do photoshopping - perhaps when I finally completely retire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboy
What we need is a thread/tutorial very specific to just doing car related modifications.
Sounds like the beginning of a Wiki. As if you don't have enough to do.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:04 PM
On The Ragged Edge

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboy
Well, if I could finish REAL cars in the time it takes me to P-Chop a car...I'd be one rich dude.

Interestingly, there are some close similarities between doing a real car and a photoshop car. At least the way I photoshop. You first have to strip the car down to it's bare essentials and all the "parts" you are going to use on the car need to be cleaned (of either extraneous pixels or rust & dirt). Then you need to repair the body and get it uniform and smooth - pixel color in the case of P-shop, metal & filler & primer in the case of the real thing. Then you need to shop around and modify all the "hop up" pieces you're going to install. Speedway and Summit in the case of the real thing, web sites and photo collections in the case of P-shop. Probably more similarities as well, but these are the ones that jumped out to me as I was doing this little tutorial.

BTW, I find P-Chopping is a great way to unwind for an evening after putting in a day of "weldandgrind" on the real thing.

Brian, maybe we should start a separate thread (or we could do it here) of the questions you have as you get into this. I sometimes think that is the best way to do a tutorial. Instead of going to great lengths to try to walk through every step of a p-chop...it might be better just to have people respond to the specific areas where you get stuck - or can't find a "tool" you want - or want to know how to do a specific task. I'm sure others on here could provide some great tips. Yes, there are huge P-shop sites with lots of tutorials on the web but they are pretty daunting to try to find what you need. What we need is a thread/tutorial very specific to just doing car related modifications.
Nice work Cboy, I feel the same way, need to relax and do some cool stuff after what I do. I'm a journalist and photographer so it keeps me away from the comp for much time. PShop is intense to get creative, some of the other programs outthere can't come close but a few do. I found an affordable one for those interested but a big learning curve, call Ulead Photo impact. Same idea just a different way to go about it.

That truck was one that had me guessing what you'd do with it. so many ways to get any result, from gasser to lowrider. Great job of it.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:35 PM
Lost in the 50s!

Last journal entry: time to start body work
Last photo:

I played with a pic of my old truck. I got it to the stage of the desaturated one (sort of). That is as far as I can get.

I cannot get the layer part to work at all. Oh well...

I have a really old version too...so I will blame it on that. Yeah...thats my story.

Either way...this was fun to play with. thanks for the write up
Old 10-18-2007, 03:55 AM
street rods forever

Last photo:

Looks great Cboy.
Very good ideas.I am going to try a free download of P/Shop to see what its like.All I use now is "paint" and not very good program for this kind of art.
I like the tutorial idea....
Old 10-18-2007, 10:07 PM
Jeep XJ and a Javelin

Last wiki edit: Compression test
Last journal entry: August 9, part III
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

this should be a sticky.
Old 10-20-2007, 10:23 AM
I am the Chevelle Man!

Last journal entry: Grill Support
Last photo:

Nice work. I am experienced with photoshop myself. I paint racecars for an racing game called "NASCAR Racing 2003 Season" I will have to post some of my work when I get a little extra time.

Recent Hot Rod Art posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.