little specs in my base - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2006, 09:47 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

little specs in my base

I sprayed on my base today and at times the gun splattered a little bit and there are what appear to be little specs in the finish. I think it might have been caused by my spraying right onto the panel without first letting the air out on masking paper... Either way, i have them. What do i do about them though. If i clear over them, once i sand the clear, isnt it possible for me to go through the clear and hit those bubbles, (they are convex, not concave). Should i sand the base? i heard this was a terrible fopa...

i am at a loss, if anyone could please help me, i have 24 hrs to clear the car..

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2006, 03:16 AM

Last photo:

I have no idea what caused you spatter. I normally spray a little paint out of the gun before first aiming at the car. Did you use the proper stroke by starting your movement before trigging air then fluid? Was your base reduced properly for your tip size? Fluid nozzle and all parts tight and fluid needle seating properly? What pressure were you spraying at? Are you sure you didn't get moisture from the airline? I've had my gun spatter base a few times, but I have a pressure feed hvlp. If I forgot to close the pressure release knob it would spatter paint. It was really bad when it did leaving large drops all over the car. Believe they may have even been darker cause metallic. If I tried to wipe some of them off with a rag the base already on would come with it. I sanded it even and applied more base. I believe you could probably bury them with clear, but if they are noticeable you will still notice the textured bumpy look through the clear. If you wetsanded the clear far enough to hit them though, you would likely have other problems, like too thin mil thickness of clear and possible delimination in the future. Normal wetsanding you do other then if you have a real trouble spot you are trying to get out, You shouldn't be sanding off more then about a half coat of clear or so. If you are feeling pressed for time and have enough base left, you can spray another coat of base on and your 24 hr window starts over or scuff the whole car and apply another coat of base and you have 24 hrs again to clear.
Old 10-08-2006, 08:03 AM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

It helps if you post more information, such as type/brand of paint, type/brand of paint gun, weather conditions, paint area, etc. If you can post photos of the problem, that would help also.

There are many things that can cause problems when painting. Knowing the conditions and results helps people try to figure what went wrong.

Some suggestions are, moisture or trash in air, trash coming from the paint gun, paint improperly filtered or not filtered at all.

Basically, if you have trash in it, it will more than likely need to be sanded and reshot.

Aaron
Old 10-08-2006, 08:28 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,161 Times in 1,024 Posts
It sounds like a super heavy application and really needs to be leveled before continuing. That is what it sounds like but more info is needed as Aaron said. "Bubbles" raised on the surface sound like the the paint was "bombed" on. But clarify for us.

Brian

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.