Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Little tip on MIG welding and tools used.
View Single Post
Old 01-21-2012, 03:59 PM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by gow589
I am not saying you can't cut it to get the same result, but with wire clippers one hand you have to reposition. But....With the ground clamp close to the weld, both hands are already in position and the movement of the tip is minimal which keeps more shielded gas in the tip.

Honestly you would be hard pressed to clip it with cutters and go straight to the weld in the short amount of time then cutting it off using a grounding clip next to the weld with both hands already in position. The further you physically move the tip the more shielding that is loss as well.

Very little movement and very little delay is optimum.
I'm not so sure about that. I've come to realize that the gas is in there a lot longer than I originally thought. If I stalled for a minute I used to trigger and cut to generate more gas even if it was already done so perfectly due to gas not in the line, but I soon realized it can sit there for a while and still have good gas.

On the welder I use at work, I once forgot to turn on the gas after turning it off for like 3-5 minutes and my first 3 welds were perfectly clean! Not sure If the welder at my house would do that nor do I want to replicate that scenario again but I think the gas is in there for a bit. If I worried about the gas leaving so soon I'd probably also wire brush off more the carbon crap on the welds between welds but I don't, but that is an option when you're twiddling thumbs letting it cool.