Hot Rod Forum banner

Little tip on MIG welding and tools used.

22K views 45 replies 11 participants last post by  sbchevfreak 
#1 ·
Cutting off the end of the wire before each weld while MIG welding is known as being a great way to start a weld. The wire sort of "spears" the metal and starts an arc RIGHT NOW.

I had a some guys working for me when I did this because I would always find the wire cutters that were kept with the welder gone. So I got a chain and bent open the last link putting it over the guns cable. :D I welded the side cutters to the chain and now of course, they are always there when I use the welder. I did this about twenty years ago, never lost or misplaced another pair. :) And you never "cheat" and think, "oh heck I'll just weld this without cutting" when the cutters aren't there. By the way, the chain will slide up and down the cable so you can put it out of your way or slide it all the way up to the welder and hang the cutters on the welders handle if you want to get it out of your way.

And it has an added feature in that when I did this I wasn't thinking and grabbed my brothers wire cutters with his name engraved on it. Yes I bought him another pair but it's been a good laugh when ever it's brought up.

Brian

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
I have always approached this slightly different. When helping a guy the other day do some stitch welding. When the wire would hiccup, he stopped, cut it then tried again. It was nothing but a re-occurring train wreck of false starts.

I sat down and put the grounding clamp close to where I was working. I explained that when I cut the wire off by touching the edge of the wire to the grounding clamp and pulling the trigger. Never a false start; always an immediate solid start.

He said "I don't get it".

What I showed him was, if I did it that way THEN waited 3 seconds I got false starts. BUT....If I cut it close to the weld site, then started my welding immediately all I got was clean starts.

The key was, with a quick cut - then weld, the gas is at the tip ready to shield the weld....If I cut the wire with cutters OR cut it by dragging the wire on the clamp with a 3 second pause, the tip was not purged and the starts were not as easy.

I have actually been thinking about modifying my welder to start the gas briefly before starting the welding if I chose to for stitch welding and such.

#6 ·
That is interesting, but I honestly think you say toemato I say tamato. Cutting the wire on the ground clamp and then starting a weld doesn't take any less time than cutting it with wire cutters and then welding. When you cut it with the wire cutters you get a perfect "stickout" every time. You bring up an interesting point, because I do hit the trigger every single time. I hit the trigger, cut the wire to a perfect stick out and weld, done deal, we are talking a second or two tops.

But if you cut it off by burning it on the edge of the clamp you aren't going to end up with a perfect stick out every time. At least not until you get real good at it.

Thanks for pointing that out, that is exactly what I do but forgot to ever mention it, hit the trigger, cut the wire and then weld.

Brian

#7 ·
matts37chev said:
cut wire, clean out nozzle, proper size for unscrewing both the nozzle and tips,
pliers for grabbing stuff (wire included)
they are the mig swiss army knife
they are nice to have :thumbup:
mine are always right there on the front of my welder, sitting in the handle :cool:

I am pretty stuck in my ways, I am not sure I can go and get a pair. :D But I will keep an eye open and pick up a pair.

Brian

#8 ·
MARTINSR said:
That is interesting, but I honestly think you say toemato I say tamato. Cutting the wire on the ground clamp and then starting a weld doesn't take any less time than cutting it with wire cutters and then welding. When you cut it with the wire cutters you get a perfect "stickout" every time. You bring up an interesting point, because I do hit the trigger every single time. I hit the trigger, cut the wire to a perfect stick out and weld, done deal, we are talking a second or two tops.

But if you cut it off by burning it on the edge of the clamp you aren't going to end up with a perfect stick out every time. At least not until you get real good at it.

Thanks for pointing that out, that is exactly what I do but forgot to ever mention it, hit the trigger, cut the wire and then weld.

Brian
I am not saying you can't cut it to get the same result, but with wire clippers one hand you have to reposition. But....With the ground clamp close to the weld, both hands are already in position and the movement of the tip is minimal which keeps more shielded gas in the tip.

Honestly you would be hard pressed to clip it with cutters and go straight to the weld in the short amount of time then cutting it off using a grounding clip next to the weld with both hands already in position. The further you physically move the tip the more shielding that is loss as well.

Very little movement and very little delay is optimum.

#9 ·
Old Fool said:
Only thing better than that is if you chained a pair of Welpers instead of diagonal cutters.
MARTINSR said:
You know, I have never owned a pair, what do you find useful with them?

Brian
matts37chev said:
they are the mig, swiss army knife
MARTINSR said:
I am pretty stuck in my ways, I am not sure I can go and get a pair. :D But I will keep an eye open and pick up a pair.

Brian
let me rephrase my swiss army knife statement :nono:

they are the sawsall of mig wire tools :p :p :p

#15 ·
MARTINSR said:
Cutting off the end of the wire before each weld while MIG welding is known as being a great way to start a weld. The wire sort of "spears" the metal and starts an arc RIGHT NOW.

I had a some guys working for me when I did this because I would always find the wire cutters that were kept with the welder gone. So I got a chain and bent open the last link putting it over the guns cable. :D I welded the side cutters to the chain and now of course, they are always there when I use the welder. I did this about twenty years ago, never lost or misplaced another pair. :) And you never "cheat" and think, "oh heck I'll just weld this without cutting" when the cutters aren't there. By the way, the chain will slide up and down the cable so you can put it out of your way or slide it all the way up to the welder and hang the cutters on the welders handle if you want to get it out of your way.

And it has an added feature in that when I did this I wasn't thinking and grabbed my brothers wire cutters with his name engraved on it. Yes I bought him another pair but it's been a good laugh when ever it's brought up.

Brian
Some guys like to arc it real close to metal than pull it away instead of cutting. Why start with a little ball at the end that's gonna work counterintuitively to penetration and cleanliness? I even like the wire at a certain length for the distance I like. Great tip and that's exactly what I do.

Another great tip is super ample amount of light. I use a self darkening helmet cause I like to see what's going on but it's STILL not light enough for my liking so I have this little tiny shop light I tug around me and I can see everything. My welds are much cleaner since doing that. I also use that same light to shine it on the backside to check for pinholes. Guys at the shop must think I'm a diva when I tow around that light.

#16 ·
gow589 said:
I am not saying you can't cut it to get the same result, but with wire clippers one hand you have to reposition. But....With the ground clamp close to the weld, both hands are already in position and the movement of the tip is minimal which keeps more shielded gas in the tip.

Honestly you would be hard pressed to clip it with cutters and go straight to the weld in the short amount of time then cutting it off using a grounding clip next to the weld with both hands already in position. The further you physically move the tip the more shielding that is loss as well.

Very little movement and very little delay is optimum.
I'm not so sure about that. I've come to realize that the gas is in there a lot longer than I originally thought. If I stalled for a minute I used to trigger and cut to generate more gas even if it was already done so perfectly due to gas not in the line, but I soon realized it can sit there for a while and still have good gas.

On the welder I use at work, I once forgot to turn on the gas after turning it off for like 3-5 minutes and my first 3 welds were perfectly clean! Not sure If the welder at my house would do that nor do I want to replicate that scenario again but I think the gas is in there for a bit. If I worried about the gas leaving so soon I'd probably also wire brush off more the carbon crap on the welds between welds but I don't, but that is an option when you're twiddling thumbs letting it cool.

#18 ·
So do you cut it after EVERY weld? I like to cut the wire but not after every weld. I like to hot tack at times and you can't do that if you're cutting the wire. I will cut it if the wire length isn't what I want, there's a ball of metal on it, or the gas has been stagnent in there for a second.

#20 ·
All of these welds were cut off by striking the clamp; everyone..

It's a mix of thin metal and thick. The last is replacing the ends on 1/2" thick blades for a large bush hog on a large tractor which worked clearing fields all summer

All of this with including the blades with .023 wire:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.