Little tip on MIG welding and tools used. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2012, 11:07 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,187 Times in 1,046 Posts
Little tip on MIG welding and tools used.

Cutting off the end of the wire before each weld while MIG welding is known as being a great way to start a weld. The wire sort of "spears" the metal and starts an arc RIGHT NOW.

I had a some guys working for me when I did this because I would always find the wire cutters that were kept with the welder gone. So I got a chain and bent open the last link putting it over the guns cable. I welded the side cutters to the chain and now of course, they are always there when I use the welder. I did this about twenty years ago, never lost or misplaced another pair. And you never "cheat" and think, "oh heck I'll just weld this without cutting" when the cutters aren't there. By the way, the chain will slide up and down the cable so you can put it out of your way or slide it all the way up to the welder and hang the cutters on the welders handle if you want to get it out of your way.

And it has an added feature in that when I did this I wasn't thinking and grabbed my brothers wire cutters with his name engraved on it. Yes I bought him another pair but it's been a good laugh when ever it's brought up.

Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF9458.JPG
Views:	216
Size:	888.1 KB
ID:	61888  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2012, 05:25 PM

Last photo:

Only thing better than that is if you chained a pair of Welpers instead of diagonal cutters.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:33 PM

Last photo:

You know, I have never owned a pair, what do you find useful with them?

Brian
Old 01-16-2012, 07:41 PM
I don't understand?

Last journal entry: this is only a test
Last photo:

cut wire, clean out nozzle, proper size for unscrewing both the nozzle and tips,
pliers for grabbing stuff (wire included)
they are the mig swiss army knife
they are nice to have
mine are always right there on the front of my welder, sitting in the handle
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	welder1.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	1.95 MB
ID:	61912  
Old 01-17-2012, 01:27 PM
the Clever Turn Signal

Last photo:

I have always approached this slightly different. When helping a guy the other day do some stitch welding. When the wire would hiccup, he stopped, cut it then tried again. It was nothing but a re-occurring train wreck of false starts.

I sat down and put the grounding clamp close to where I was working. I explained that when I cut the wire off by touching the edge of the wire to the grounding clamp and pulling the trigger. Never a false start; always an immediate solid start.

He said "I don't get it".

What I showed him was, if I did it that way THEN waited 3 seconds I got false starts. BUT....If I cut it close to the weld site, then started my welding immediately all I got was clean starts.

The key was, with a quick cut - then weld, the gas is at the tip ready to shield the weld....If I cut the wire with cutters OR cut it by dragging the wire on the clamp with a 3 second pause, the tip was not purged and the starts were not as easy.

I have actually been thinking about modifying my welder to start the gas briefly before starting the welding if I chose to for stitch welding and such.
Old 01-17-2012, 02:38 PM

Last photo:

That is interesting, but I honestly think you say toemato I say tamato. Cutting the wire on the ground clamp and then starting a weld doesn't take any less time than cutting it with wire cutters and then welding. When you cut it with the wire cutters you get a perfect "stickout" every time. You bring up an interesting point, because I do hit the trigger every single time. I hit the trigger, cut the wire to a perfect stick out and weld, done deal, we are talking a second or two tops.

But if you cut it off by burning it on the edge of the clamp you aren't going to end up with a perfect stick out every time. At least not until you get real good at it.

Thanks for pointing that out, that is exactly what I do but forgot to ever mention it, hit the trigger, cut the wire and then weld.

Brian
Old 01-17-2012, 02:41 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by matts37chev
cut wire, clean out nozzle, proper size for unscrewing both the nozzle and tips,
pliers for grabbing stuff (wire included)
they are the mig swiss army knife
they are nice to have
mine are always right there on the front of my welder, sitting in the handle

I am pretty stuck in my ways, I am not sure I can go and get a pair. But I will keep an eye open and pick up a pair.

Brian
Old 01-17-2012, 02:51 PM
the Clever Turn Signal

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR
That is interesting, but I honestly think you say toemato I say tamato. Cutting the wire on the ground clamp and then starting a weld doesn't take any less time than cutting it with wire cutters and then welding. When you cut it with the wire cutters you get a perfect "stickout" every time. You bring up an interesting point, because I do hit the trigger every single time. I hit the trigger, cut the wire to a perfect stick out and weld, done deal, we are talking a second or two tops.

But if you cut it off by burning it on the edge of the clamp you aren't going to end up with a perfect stick out every time. At least not until you get real good at it.

Thanks for pointing that out, that is exactly what I do but forgot to ever mention it, hit the trigger, cut the wire and then weld.

Brian
I am not saying you can't cut it to get the same result, but with wire clippers one hand you have to reposition. But....With the ground clamp close to the weld, both hands are already in position and the movement of the tip is minimal which keeps more shielded gas in the tip.

Honestly you would be hard pressed to clip it with cutters and go straight to the weld in the short amount of time then cutting it off using a grounding clip next to the weld with both hands already in position. The further you physically move the tip the more shielding that is loss as well.

Very little movement and very little delay is optimum.
Old 01-17-2012, 04:51 PM
I don't understand?

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Fool
Only thing better than that is if you chained a pair of Welpers instead of diagonal cutters.
Quote:
You know, I have never owned a pair, what do you find useful with them?

Brian
Quote:
they are the mig, swiss army knife
Quote:
I am pretty stuck in my ways, I am not sure I can go and get a pair. But I will keep an eye open and pick up a pair.

Brian
let me rephrase my swiss army knife statement

they are the sawsall of mig wire tools
Old 01-18-2012, 11:40 AM
I don't understand?

Last photo:

the above ^^^^^^^^ was in reference to this statement
Old 01-18-2012, 11:59 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
the above ^^^^^^^^ was in reference to this statement

I got it I got it. Thanks, I'll pick one up.

Brian
Old 01-18-2012, 12:08 PM
I don't understand?

Last photo:

Quote:
I got it I got it. Thanks, I'll pick one up.

Brian
just having some fun
Old 01-18-2012, 02:53 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
I hit the trigger, cut the wire to a perfect stick out and weld, done deal, we are talking a second or two tops.

Brian
That sounds like a good tip, Brian. Thanks
Old 01-18-2012, 03:12 PM
boatbob2

wire feed welder

Hi,northern has a wire feed welder (not mig) on sale for $139.00(110 V)
Old 01-21-2012, 03:52 PM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:

Quote:
Cutting off the end of the wire before each weld while MIG welding is known as being a great way to start a weld. The wire sort of "spears" the metal and starts an arc RIGHT NOW.

I had a some guys working for me when I did this because I would always find the wire cutters that were kept with the welder gone. So I got a chain and bent open the last link putting it over the guns cable. I welded the side cutters to the chain and now of course, they are always there when I use the welder. I did this about twenty years ago, never lost or misplaced another pair. And you never "cheat" and think, "oh heck I'll just weld this without cutting" when the cutters aren't there. By the way, the chain will slide up and down the cable so you can put it out of your way or slide it all the way up to the welder and hang the cutters on the welders handle if you want to get it out of your way.

And it has an added feature in that when I did this I wasn't thinking and grabbed my brothers wire cutters with his name engraved on it. Yes I bought him another pair but it's been a good laugh when ever it's brought up.

Brian
Some guys like to arc it real close to metal than pull it away instead of cutting. Why start with a little ball at the end that's gonna work counterintuitively to penetration and cleanliness? I even like the wire at a certain length for the distance I like. Great tip and that's exactly what I do.

Another great tip is super ample amount of light. I use a self darkening helmet cause I like to see what's going on but it's STILL not light enough for my liking so I have this little tiny shop light I tug around me and I can see everything. My welds are much cleaner since doing that. I also use that same light to shine it on the backside to check for pinholes. Guys at the shop must think I'm a diva when I tow around that light.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.