Hot Rod Forum banner

Live Camaro Body

874 views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  malc 
#1 ·
I was trial fitting these two baffles to the nose of the Camaro today.
Two pieces of aluminum attached to the plastic nose.

I had my hand under the hood latch, wrist against the underside and when I touched the right piece of aluminum I got an electrical shock at my wrist.:eek:
I found out also that the braided hose to my oil cooler is "live" but only when shorted to the pieces of aluminum on the nose.
I measured a tad over 12 volts.

Yet my battery is not discharging, not now and not before.

Any ideas ?

See less See more
#2 ·
work light

You won't get shock from 12 volts but the heat generated by a spark can hurt you. The energy in a battery can melt steel.
You might have a faulty work light that is providing 120 volts to the car metal. Now that will give you shock when you touch it and ground.

vicrod

#3 ·
Not so much of a shock as feeling the tingle of electricity, on a sweaty wrist.

No work lights, I´m out in the blazing sun.

I tried fitting the next stage to the fitted parts, those that will close the gap
to the rad support.
There was a definite spark as the part touched the fitted parts and the hood latch.

Those two parts I´ve got in place are attached to plastic for goodness sakes...
no where for current to go.

#5 ·
You are reading the voltage of a ground path that is passing through the car (unassembled) metal.
Something in the car is providing the load that is making the meter read voltage. It could be something like the radio preset memory.
Test this theory by changing the meter to read amps across the points that read voltage. This amp reading will now complete the circuit and the reading will be very low. Like 25ma or less.
This assumes that the ignition is OFF and no other problems exist, like faulty alternator.

You should check the vehicle for proper grounds like engine-chassis, chassis-body etc.

vicrod

#8 ·
Disconnect the battery and see if you still have voltage, if you do it's prob galvanic action of the dissimilar metal..... or aliens...but 12 volts is huge!

More likely you have an issue with the head light/horn/wires in the nose shorting to the core support.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.