locked timing help - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2011, 10:33 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

locked distributor timing help

i have searched the forum and google to try to get the answer to my questions but havent really gotten anywhere. I have a sbc 350. I pulled my distributor out to change my intake gaskets, and while the distirbutor was out i decided to lock it. im going to set my timing to 32-34*. now my question is, do i need to put the #1 at TDC or BTDC? from what ive read, some people said BTDC and some said TDC... im not sure what i should do... question #2 is, i ordered a new digital timing light, when i set the light at my desired timing (32-34*), the light digital light will read "0" when my timing is where i want it correct? thanks for the help. - David

Advertisement

Last edited by bootstrap; 01-18-2011 at 11:01 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2011, 02:52 AM

Last photo:

#1- You want #1 @TDC.
#2- Yes, 0* if you're using a Dial Back timing light.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:31 AM

alright, thanks for the help.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:31 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bootstrap
i have searched the forum and google to try to get the answer to my questions but havent really gotten anywhere. I have a sbc 350. I pulled my distributor out to change my intake gaskets, and while the distirbutor was out i decided to lock it. im going to set my timing to 32-34*. now my question is, do i need to put the #1 at TDC or BTDC? from what ive read, some people said BTDC and some said TDC... im not sure what i should do... question #2 is, i ordered a new digital timing light, when i set the light at my desired timing (32-34*), the light digital light will read "0" when my timing is where i want it correct? thanks for the help. - David
What is the reason for doing this?

Locking the timing at some maximum advance is used for really radical camshafts in engines that run full tilt.

The timing is set according to Top Dead Center such that it precedes that event. If this is a Chevy this can be set for the number one cylinder, however, number 6 can be used as well.

You will find an engine with locked timing can be quite difficult to start and tends to be hard on the starter. A way around this is to separate the starter and ignition functions such that the starter can spin the engine up then the ignition turned on.

Bogie
Old 01-19-2011, 06:45 PM

Last photo:

Not only that, but it will have a greater tendency to knock at lower rpm, and without a vacuum advance you'll absolutely kill your gas mileage.

Of course that's if it's a street vehicle.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:23 PM

Last photo:

Assuming the 350 is not stock, and has a somewhat choppy cam, the locked timing wont be too bad except for really hard starts (depending on your compression ratio). You can search the forum and go with an ignition OFF switch to avoid that.

Your only issue, at first, is replacing the dizzy. You wont know what the timing is at until you can fire it up and use the timing light. You might be way over 35* or way under 0*. Just locking the dizzy weights doesnt set the timing, its when you rotate the dizzy that the "locked" advance comes in. Then you tighten the bolt to hold the dizzy when you are at the timing you want. Does that make sense? I have mine locked but if I were to turn the dizzy I could advance or retard my "locked in" timing.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:11 PM

Last photo:

I run my timing locked at 36*... car is drag only and has a MSD box that has a start retard function... only note I have is that if you have a "box" most dial back timing lights dont work well with them... good luck...

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.