Locker Noise in a GM 10 bolt. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2013, 09:42 PM
USMC....0331,DAD!

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Locker Noise in a GM 10 bolt.

Hey all!

Health and family issues (Of course!) have kept my 66 chevelle under a tarp for almost 2 years in the back yard. recently tho, got some relief and was able to dedicate time on the chevy. got it running and got me thinking, I sure do want to upgrade my TH350 to a 700R4 for that extra gear.I have a 355 in it trans is built very decent with a 9" converter and it sure runs good but, in town no highway time. have upgraded the suspension somewhat with an added stabi sway bar in the rear and a NICE! one from an 82 Trans am in the front. Man! this thing rides nice!!! then all the sudden, began hearing a clicking noise from the rear. thought it might be brake hardware or drive shaft issues but nah! turns out its the locker in the rear. its a 10 bolt, 8.2. supposedly 308 gear ratio from what the numbers stamped on the tube say. it sure is loud when I turn but i hear tell thats normal with lockers. this noise however is there now all the time. I took the cover off and the 2 sides on the assembly that are spring loaded seem loose. the pins with the springs in them have considerable play. my question as I know nothing about rear ends is, is this a worn out locker assembly i'm dealing with? I have included in this post, a short video of the assembly as i spin the wheels. noise is clearly...loud!! I appreciate any help and suggestion from you fellas and thanks in advance.

YouTube

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2013, 05:54 AM
High Performance Rear Ends

Last photo:

Welcome to the world of lockers. You have to learn to live with it or swap it out for a Eaton Posi.

I have a Lock Right in my truck and a Detroit Locker in my Camaro. This is the way lockers behave.
Old 08-01-2013, 06:54 AM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

A few things.. if you plan on staying with the 3.08's the 700r4 has a tall overdrive gear and to install you need to cut driveshaft/balance/ move crossmember..
you might want to look into the 200r4
better gear splits, not as tall overdrive, and not as low 1st gear

it also bolts into where your th350 sits now, no driveshaft cutting..
and cost about the same to build up as the 700r4
Old 08-01-2013, 02:33 PM

Last photo:

That is the way they are. I went through 3 sets of teh Lockrit Lockers in a GM 10 bolt 8.5" semi float truck rear end. I kept taking out the shear pins. There was a lot of driveline play, and crazy loud bands and noises when making tight turns.
I tried to save money by using teh Lockrite and I might as well have sprung for a Detroit Locker or Eaton clutch LSD after teh money I spent on installations and cross country shipping for warranty.
Powertrax did warranty them without issue though.
Now Richmond owns Powertrax. They make a similar product calle dte "No SLip Traction System whiuch is supposed to be quieter, but those dog clutches that rub over one another are bound to wear out in daily driving. I dont suggest people buying these "Lunchbox Lockers".
Way too much driveline slop for a daily driver IMO. I had an automatic at the time, I can see a mnaul trans being absolute murder with these rearends.

An Eaton LSD is $559 for the 8.2" semifloat.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/et...make/chevrolet

Moser Eaton LSD
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ms...make/chevrolet

To figure out EXACTLY what gears you have. Count the teeth of teh pinion and the ring gear, divide teh ring teeth by the number of pinion teeth and that decimal is your ratio. The number of teeth are stamped on the ring and pinion gear.

peace
Hog
Old 08-01-2013, 02:41 PM

Last photo:

If you decide you want the Eaton Posi don't mess with Summit. Go to Tom's Differentials. He has better prices on the Eaton and can answer any questions that you have. Summit and Jeg's can only tell you what is on the computer screen in front of them.
Old 08-01-2013, 02:50 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearheadslife View Post
A few things.. if you plan on staying with the 3.08's the 700r4 has a tall overdrive gear and to install you need to cut driveshaft/balance/ move crossmember..
you might want to look into the 200r4
better gear splits, not as tall overdrive, and not as low 1st gear

it also bolts into where your th350 sits now, no driveshaft cutting..
and cost about the same to build up as the 700r4
The 200r4 would make any lugging worse in oD as the 200R4 has a higher OD ratio at 0.67:1 than the 700r4 does at 0.70:1. The 200r4 will cause you to cruise at a HIGHER speed than the 700r4 given the same engien rpm.

2000 engine rpm/200r4 OD of 0.67:1/28" tire gives you 81mph
2000 engine rpm/700r4 0.70:1 OD/28" tire gives you 77mph
2000 engine rpm/80e/85e 0.75:1 OD/28" tire gives you 72mph

With the 200r4 and teh above numbers, if you were to cruise at 50mph, you'd be lugging down at 1250rpm, pull it down to drive and 50mph is 1850rpm.
I ran 4.10's with a 4l60e/700r4 for years and it was great around town, but revved a bit high for 75mph freeway cruising
28" tire/75mph/700r4/60e 0.7:1 OD needed 2600rpm for 75mph, with a 200r4 that cuts to 2475.
But for 60mph cruising/28" tiire/4.10 gear/2075rpm was nice, esp in my truck. And allowed for trapping in 3rd at about 4900rpm and 122mph at 4200rpm in OD.(not that I ever did that).
If you need to cruise at 75+ on te freeway, then go 3.73 with an OD auto, but if you stay off the freeway or cruise under 65mph, the 4.10 and 28" tire is great. Lugging too low is hard on everything, esp. the trans. And city ,ileage will suck.
A little pick me up for your 700r4 is a Vette TC or for the newer 4l60e the DBLF 4.3 S10 L35 torque converter.

The 200rd does have better gear splits and a lower 1st gear ratio at 2.75:1 vs the 700's 3.06:1 1st gear.

IMO the 200r4 has the best all around ratios of any GM OD auto. I just wish it has 4l85e strength, or the 80e/85e has the 0.67:1 OD and 2.75:1 1st gear.

peace
Hog
Old 08-01-2013, 02:55 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by big gear head View Post
If you decide you want the Eaton Posi don't mess with Summit. Go to Tom's Differentials. He has better prices on the Eaton and can answer any questions that you have. Summit and Jeg's can only tell you what is on the computer screen in front of them.
Tom might set an Eaton up for you too. He has a couple good videos on Youtube of his work on the Eaton LSD's. The ones I saw him work on didnt have any preload springs at all.

peace
Hog
Old 08-01-2013, 03:11 PM

Yukon Dura Grip Posi Unit

I have used both Eaton and Yukon Dura Grip Posi Units. The Yukon is built just like the Eaton unit and is re-buildable as well. Price for the Yukon is about 30 percent less than the Eaton units. Do a search on the internet and our favorite bidding site to see what they go for. Need to confirm you have an 8.2 ten bolt and not an 8.5 ten bolt. The 8.2 is more expensive and not as strong.

On another note: I highly recommend using Synthetic 75W-140 in the rear end. Less heat build up and it remains at a constant viscosity regardless of temps. Still need to add 4 ozs of posi juice.
Old 08-02-2013, 09:07 PM
USMC....0331,DAD!

Last photo:

You guys....all! are right on the money, thanks!!

gonna put everything back together, put her back on the street and monitor this issue. I really like the feel of both rears locked! so this unit or likewise units have a home in my car. I have to first identify the unit thats in there now, seems like an aussie locker or lock right assembly.....not sure. whatever the case, were talking at lest 500 clams to go with a decent one. Gonna research the Eaton and yukon units and that style of hook up. what does a "semi floater" refer too fellas?

I build and fly Remote control Helicopters (Big Un's!!) and we use the term to describe "rotor heads" so I know what it means but, what part of the diff does it apply too?

Big Gear head! will do on Tom's diff sir. the Eaton's peak my curiosity.

Gearheadslife and Hogg! excellent info on the trannys. I was always under the impression that the 200's were garbage. was aware that it would be an easy swap opposed to a 700. but I plan on going with a bit more power in the motor hole in the future and want something behind it that will suffice. 400-500 horsies will do! am not too greety. so was told the 200 would not last long. any change in gearing (high) from what i have now, will be a welcomed change. I got 308s from the stamped numbers on the case Hogg. yet, I counted the gears and ring is 40 and pinion is 11.....don't make sense!! comes out to mid or better 350s. may have counted wrong on account that i was drunk at the time tho... will redo the count.

Zooma! did a visual check and the 8.2 reference, checks out. no square blocks at the bottom of the pumpkin and the oiling "V" groove on the cover is there. I measured as best i could the pinion ring and got no where near 8-1/2 between 12 and 6 oclock. just a nick over 8. as mentioned above tho, had a few bagpipers brew...stouts in me Execllent suggestion on the 75W-140 and posi juice......will do!!

Thanks for the advice fellas and will post updates on the situation.
Rod.
Old 08-02-2013, 09:17 PM

Last photo:

From the video it looks like you have the Power Trax Lock Right.

A semi floating axle is one that has the wheel attached to one end. A full floating axle is what you find in a 1 ton truck where the wheel is attached to a hub that is independent from the axle. The axle can usually be removed without taking the wheel off.

The 8.2 rear end has a 1 1/8 inch pinion nut, 3/8 ring gear bolts with 9/16 heads and right hand threads. The 8.5 rear end has a 1 1/4 inch pinion nut, 7/16 ring gear bolts with 3/4 inch heads and left hand threads.
The Following User Says Thank You to big gear head For This Useful Post:
Crosley (08-29-2013)
Old 08-03-2013, 03:31 PM

2004R Versus 700R4

I would still keep a well built 2004R in the running. Take a look at this site for some info on well built overdrive tranys. AOD, AOD Performance Transmissions from PATC, AOD Transmission, AOD Mustang, AOD

Good luck with that Locker.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:41 PM
USMC....0331,DAD!

Last photo:

Well fellas! alls good so far. have had the malibu on the road for a week with about 30 miles round trip every day and aside from clicking on turns, the noise is managable otherwise. no ill issues have surfaced, she locks nicely. did what zooma adviced with the 75/140 and posi juice and alls good!

My tranny aside from being short on gears is otherwise good so, that has to stay as is. tho i have not scratched the idea of getting a 700. the links suggested just served to wet my appetite for one. many thanks guys!

I however have to address another issue that don't belong in this fourm so i will post it in the suspension forum. hope to get you alls advice on that as well. yup money being tight, i now have to change focus to the front as i have a rotting a frame that needs love now!!

thanks again for the help here guys!!
Old 08-28-2013, 08:00 PM

Last photo:

You don't need the limited slip oil additive for a locker. That is for clutch type differentials, like the Eaton Posi. It won't hurt anything with the locker except you wasted a few bucks and some time putting it in.
The Following User Says Thank You to big gear head For This Useful Post:
Crosley (08-29-2013)
Old 08-28-2013, 08:10 PM
USMC....0331,DAD!

Last photo:

Yea right?!! i thought the same as i have no clutches in there gear head but i figured, maybe some other value it provides. I figured it would'nt do any harm and it was easy enough. i dropped in half of a bottle of 75/140 and then dropped in the juice in the gear oil bottle and squeezed the whole thing in, cost was relative minimal. zooma no doubt meant for a limited slip the juice is a must, he was on the money!

Thanks gear head!

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.