Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Hotrodding Basics (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/hotrodding-basics/)
-   -   locks and no keys (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/locks-no-keys-224152.html)

snoplow 09-18-2012 07:51 PM

locks and no keys

So I have a 59 bel air and no keys for it. How would I go about getting into said trunk without damaging the body and or hiring a locksmith?

bigdog7373 09-18-2012 08:23 PM

Pick the lock.

timothale 09-18-2012 08:33 PM

back seat access

take out the back seat, usually not a solid panel. if you can not reach make a super long, screwdriver.

Richiehd 09-18-2012 08:34 PM

Can you remove the backseat and with a very long screwdriver turn the tumbler from inside?

snoplow 09-18-2012 08:53 PM

I have not tried going through the back seat yet..I know that the trunk has been closed for about 14 years...I didn't know if there was a rodders trick to popping the lock other than just picking it cuz I don't know how..I do appreciate all of the fast responses.. I will try and pu 'll the back seat apart andvtry to get in that way. Thank you

va4cqd 09-19-2012 06:20 AM

get a locksmith

MARTINSR 09-19-2012 08:14 AM

A lock smith will have a pile of keys and just try one after another. Back then there really weren't very many cuts and in a little while you find a key that works. I did this myself one time with a 64 Impala my brother brought home, had a ring of keys and I found one that worked on about the fifth try. :D

Brian

S10xGN 09-19-2012 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MARTINSR (Post 1592001)
A lock smith will have a pile of keys and just try one after another. Back then there really weren't very many cuts and in a little while you find a key that works. I did this myself one time with a 64 Impala my brother brought home, had a ring of keys and I found one that worked on about the fifth try. :D

Brian

Ain't that the truth! Back when I was just out of HS in 1971, I worked at GE's Schenectady, NY plant (along with 29000 others). Went out to the parking lot after punching out, got in my '70 VW bug and started it up. Something wasn't quite right, and it was then I realized it wasn't my car! Mine was parked several rows over. Same model, year, color, and locks... :eek:

Russ

Gringo 09-19-2012 09:39 AM

keys

First off from back seat to trunk latch its about 6 or 7 feet. Very hard to reach. You can't just open it with screwdriver. If I remember there are 2 bolts that hold latch part to body. you need a very long extension. I'd take out glove box lock or door lock and take and get a key made.

cobalt327 09-19-2012 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snoplow (Post 1591911)
I have not tried going through the back seat yet..I know that the trunk has been closed for about 14 years...I didn't know if there was a rodders trick to popping the lock other than just picking it cuz I don't know how..I do appreciate all of the fast responses.. I will try and pu 'll the back seat apart andvtry to get in that way. Thank you

Once you get it open you can remove the lock, take it apart and remove the small pins from the tumbler. This will allow the lock to be actuated w/any key (or even a screwdriver) but it does retain the look of an operational lock as opposed to removing the entire lock, leaving a hole that is an invitation for anyone to open w/a screwdriver.

If you can find a key that fits the lock, chances are there will be at least one pin you removed from the lock that'll match up to one position on the key (or you can carefully grind one or more of your pins to fit the key). This will allow the "new" key to work as it normally would and will keep someone from casually opening the trunk.

Or once the lock is in your hand, it can be rekeyed for a relatively cheap price compared to having a locksmith come to you or to remove the lock for you.

AutoGear 09-19-2012 09:54 AM

If you know someone with an old set of late 50s door keys...I mean old, almost worn smooth...these will usually open a door with a little massaging from a file

I had a real locksmith make a set of keys for my dads car; he did it right out of his van in 10 minutes. He had a book that had the standard chevy profiles they used, and theres a number stamped on the key which somehow tells him how to stamp the profile on the key. He even had the old sombrero hat key blanks. I think it cost me $50 and a submarine sandwich.

Word to the wise, I did climb though the partition behind the rear seat backrest (I used to be 5' 10 and 140pds in high school) Its very dark, very cramped and by the time you go through what cobalt described, holding a maglite in your teeth...call the locksmith.

Can you call triple-A? I doubt they can pick a lock but worth a shot.

BTW that torsion bar that opens the trunklid? I was riding in the backseat when it broke and it sounded like a 12 gauge went off in the trunk.

timothale 09-19-2012 02:12 PM

used car mechanic.

I had a friend that worked winters in Calif as a used car mechanic, He had a bucket of keys, 3/4 of the time we could find a key that would work.

T-bucket23 09-19-2012 03:22 PM

Through the back seat is the easiest way. You should be able to turn the latch with a long screwdriver or pop the clip off the lock and pull it out and open it from outside. If it has not been unlocked in 14 years the lock probably would not work even if you had the key.

Frankinforesthill 09-20-2012 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snoplow (Post 1591862)
So I have a 59 bel air and no keys for it. How would I go about getting into said trunk without damaging the body and or hiring a locksmith?

Are you referring to the car body or the body in the trunk?

Frank

snoplow 09-21-2012 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankinforesthill (Post 1592367)
Are you referring to the car body or the body in the trunk?

Frank

If i told you then i would have to kill you :evil: but i cant do that cuz i cant get into the trunk!