Hot Rod Forum banner

Lokar VS Gennie

7K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  bentwings 
#1 ·
Does anyone have an opinion which is the better shifter?
I can't decide on which to use in my '40 Ford, any pro's or con's on either shifter would be a big help. A good length for the gear shift would also be of interest, I'm useing the stock seat for now. I'm sort of leaning toward Gennie Shifter but just not sure.

#2 ·
I like the Gennie shifter better, the action on every Lokar I've ever installed was rough at best. The little button is a PITA.

Later, mikey

#6 ·
I have used both the Lokar (short shifter) and the Gennie (Long shifter)shifters.

Either installed very easy and worked fine. :)

Neither is designed for "drag racing". It is very easy to upshift and go directly into neutral. :mad:

If you install either with a long shifter; you will have to tighten the tension so the shifter will not vibrate and shift out of gear from its own weight. ;)

I prefer the Gennie because I can run any shift knob I want. :D

There is an adapter available to run any shift knob on the Lokar unit. I don't like the looks of it.

Be sure to check and adjust if necessary the neutral safety switch. It is very easy to get that mis-adjusted and the engine will then be able to start while in gear. NOT good! ;)

#7 ·
I've got a Lokar 12 in stick. It installed very nicely and was reasonably easy to adjust the neutral saftey switch.

Neither of these shifters are race car shifters. You can easily over shift and if they are set up loose they can vibrate into another gear. It would have been easy to just add stop gates to the gates but I guess that makes it harder to adjust the position of each gear in various cars. IE costs more to mfg. Seems strange when a true ratchet shifter is only 25-50 bucks more.

To really answer your question, which ever you like will work but IMHO the 12 in stick is as long as I'd use.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.