Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Long skirt SBC pistons
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2004, 05:59 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks for all the responses so far. The actual measurement of the compression height is 1.560" I noticed that according to Beck Racing listing, H3437 piston is the same as H1479 (mine) except NOT destroked, hence 1.540 + .020 = 1.560". I also checked the bore to piston clearances of the broken pistons and the result is 0.0015" for both. As a matter of fact, only two of the eight pistons had 0.0020". So I don't believe excessive clearance was the factor. Is it possible that whoever installed the pistons did not have the ring compressor tight enough and had to hit them harder toward the intake manifold side forcing the piston to rock against the cylinder wall when pounded in? As you can see from the picture I attached, there is only one tiny scratch on the piston, maybe caused by a small speckle when the skirt broke. The picture was taken after I wiped the oil and removed the rings. No other cleaning was done. If nothing else, I just learned that these were possibly made for the early 350 around the early 70s. The engine ran good, but my suspicions were right. Now I have to save some cash for new slugs and hanging them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	piston broken_03.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	1049