Hot Rod Forum banner

Longacre Mechanical Gauges

858 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  johnsongrass1 
#1 ·
Has anyone used them and what do you think of the quality? Looking at the 2-5/8" size for our Sprint Car.

Thanks

#2 ·
Longacre falls in line with most of the other gauges in the price range including Autometer. Most dirt guys I've seen get some decent life out of them. They are better ones for sure but I think those will get ya by no problems. Breaking the tube on the water sender always seems to be a problem. I route mine through the firewall with grommets to keep the vibration from chewing it up and zip tie it down to whatever is handy. Been good for a couple years so far.

#6 ·
Gauges and lights are helpful. The biggest and brightest and most annoying light you can find will warn you of impending damage if an overheating issue or oil pressure or something comes about. The gauges themselves give you an idea of just how bad the problem is so if you can decide if pulling in is justified. If it's two or three to go and the water temp is high I sure won't pull in or if the oil pressure drops at the end of the straight I probably won't give up a win for it.
The real nice progressive back lit gauges change colors with LED's from yellow(means pay attention) to red(means you really need to pay attention) without the need to actually read numbers.

Turning all your gauges so the needled are pointing straight up during the race give you reference without the need to read numbers as well.

You know why we don't put speedometers in race cars? If we knew how fast we were going we wouldnt ever get back in one!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.