Longbed to shortbed conversion - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2002, 03:59 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post Longbed to shortbed conversion

Hi, this is my first post on this forum. I have a 1994 Dodge Ram, but I think that I can get some help on this rod forum with some custom body work that I am doing.
I want to keep this truck for a long time and I want it to have a sort of street rod/ sport truck look that cannot be achieved with a longbed, so I want to convert it to the shortbed.

Here's how I think it will work:
1. Buy a red short bed and a 4x2 119" wheelbase AT driveshaft. I have a lead on a nearly mint condition red shortbed off a 98 quad cab about 90 miles from where I live. Most shops want $1000+ for such a bed, but I have a feeling I might be able to get this bed for significantly less. And from <a href="http://www.car-parts.com" target="_blank">www.car-parts.com</a> I have found that there are salvage yards in MA that have the driveshaft I need for less than $100.
2. Find a shop that will cut my frame. I need to do some work on this, perhaps I will find the street rod shops around here and ask their opinions. Anyone know a good custom body shop in MA?
3. Have the proper shop remove the long bed, shorten the frame to short bed specs and re-weld, make the 35 gallon gas tank fit, shorten brake lines and fuel lines, etc. Then install the short bed with fabbed mounts. Whatever painting needs to be done can be done at this shop or another.
4. Sell the longbed and the 135" wheelbase driveshaft to a salvage yard to recoup some of my money.

What do you all think? Is it reasonable to cut the frame? Any advice or anything I'm forgetting?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2002, 04:20 PM

Sounds like you got everything in order. Cutting the frame will probably be the hardest part. I'm sure they will splice out of the middle. As for shops in Ma I'm sure you can find something out there. It depends where in Ma you are. I'm up near Worcester and I can look around for you when your ready.
Old 08-09-2002, 02:55 AM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

On another website there is a guy doing this exact same thing only with a chevy. When I get back today I'll get the site and his name and maybe you two can hook-up and discuss the trucks. See if you can sell your bed. Look in Auto-trader magazine and usually rust free beds goes for $800. From a wrecking yard maybe you can make a swap deal like bed for bed and maybe a little boot. Unhook your tailights, gas filler neck, and you can remove the bed yourself. Usually around 8-10 bolts and 4 people. It's not heavy just awkward. Make sure before you put the new one back on to have the frame and all painted up right.

Kevin
Old 08-09-2002, 06:53 PM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

Red,
Ckeck this site and you may want to talk to Trucknut directly to see what all is involved.
http://www.chevytalk.org/forums/Foru...ML/002708.html

Kevin
Old 08-09-2002, 09:45 PM
go fast, turn left!

Last photo:

Thumbs up

Hey Hey! Streettrucks magazine did a great feature on this operation in the oct & nov 2000 issues. They had Turner Enterprises cut a 70's Chev down and it is a smooth job. I will be doing the same thing to my 66 f-100. They are in Ca. (909)926-1729. Try and track down those back issues and you won't need much more.
Cheers
Speede
Old 08-11-2002, 05:10 PM

Thanks for the replies. I will send Trucknut an email, it is always good to talk to someone who has first-hand knowledge of a project.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.