Look for info an building a 383 stroker - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2003, 09:39 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Look for info an building a 383 stroker

Im trying to find something like a, How To book on building a chevy 383 stroker. Sort of like a step by step book if they make something like that.
Thanks for any help.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2003, 09:33 PM

I saw a book in the bookstore one time about blueprinting a motor. Also something about building horsepower. Try barnes and noble.
If you've never done something like this before I don't recommend trying unless you have someone that can watch your work and show you how to do things. Building a 383 is some work. If you've never rebuilt a motor or something like that I recommend trying to stick with something basic first if you wanna give it a try. If you're looking for good power but a mostly stock motor, try a Small block chevy 400. Or even a 350 just for some practice.
When you do a 383, you need to do some grinding on the block to have enough clearance for the rods, and if you run a bigger cam you need to grind a couple rods just a little bit to achieve the proper clearance.
I'm not saying you can't do it, but just recommending finding a friend or someone you know thats willing to show you how to do things and what not. Good luck man
The Following User Says Thank You to Ric0cheT For This Useful Post:
mgr64733930wo (07-09-2012)
Old 09-10-2003, 01:19 PM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last journal entry: car with tt2's, (stockers going back on)
Last photo:

why waste your money when you can do a search here and find out everything you need to know?
Old 09-15-2003, 07:49 AM
The Smell of Nitro in the morn

Last wiki edit: How to adjust valves Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Try the Knowledge Base on this site it has more info than you can read on building a stroker.
http://hotrodders.com/kb/search.pl?Terms=383+&match=1

On site also, over 109 different combos for building a 383,
http://ryanscarpage.50megs.com/combos1.html

Last edited by 1BAD80; 09-16-2003 at 07:40 PM.
Old 09-15-2003, 11:08 AM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last photo:

definitely go to that website! jeeze, lookin all this *****in info! combinations from hell!!! i mean Heaven! all this and God too!
from that website:

Combo 15.
Combo 15 uses a 383 cu. in. engine with 9.5:1 compression and a 750 double pumper. With a 280 hydraulic camshaft and the AFR 190cc Street heads, this combination makes an awesome 471 HP and an incredible 515 ft-lbs of torque. This is the ultimate street engine.
Displacement: 383 cu. in.
Carburetor: Holley 750 double pumper
Heads: Air Flow Research 190cc Street
Intake: Air Flow Research FloPower RPM
Camshaft: Comp Cams 280 Magnum hydraulic, with 280 of duration, 230 of duration @ 0.050 in. lift, and 0.480 in. lift
Headers: 1 3/4 in.
Distributor: MSD
Timing: 34
Comp. Ratio: 9.5:1

MAX HP: 471 @ 5500
MAX Torque: 515 @ 4500

also good stuff is what's in this months popular hotrodding. an article by david vissard about 5 things to give you horsepower: scat windage crank, 2 plane edel intake, plasma booster, total seal rings, street roller (non hydrolic), bigger carb.

i havent gone deep enough into ryan's website yet to see what happens with the afr 195 heads, but the next combo #16, has hp up to 500! thanks bad80! i saved this site as a fav.

i just looked thru all 109 combos, pretty great stuff, esp for the vortec heads. one combo with a roller cam hadda 355 putting out 412HP with GM's hot roller cam that's SICK

Last edited by bullheimer; 09-15-2003 at 12:31 PM.
Old 09-16-2003, 07:38 PM
The Smell of Nitro in the morn

Last wiki edit: How to adjust valves Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Here is one more site.

Beck Racing Builds A 530hp Street 383
This 3.75-Inch Stroke And 4.030-Inch Bore Seems Like A Perfect Combo To Make Large-Caliber Power.
http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/te...es/0304_zoops/
Old 09-17-2003, 11:15 AM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last photo:

american speed enterprises has one too with 450HP for and even $5K!

Beck took third place with the cheapest engine build in last years phr engine challenge. it still cost big bucks to duplicate. i'm not about to tell this guy how to build an engine but his cam has lobe seperation at 110 which is great for a 350 but Vissard says a 383 will work better with 108 or 106 degrees of lobe sep.

Last edited by bullheimer; 09-17-2003 at 11:35 AM.
Old 09-17-2003, 11:46 AM
Anything with a throttle

Last photo:

I have been on a 383 kick for years...
You just dropped another boatload of info on me..
Thanks guys!!!!
Old 09-22-2003, 01:28 PM

I'm in the process of building a 383 right now using those same AFR specs mentioned above. It's got a SCAT 3.75 inch crank, SCAT 6 inch rods and Keith Black Hyper pistons. The guy that balanced it had to drill a ton of holes in the crankshaft counterweights to balance it out, so that lightened it up even more. Should spin up real nice. But the eXtreme energy roller cam is tough to fit in there. I even had them grind me a low base circle version of that 12-433-8 cam, and I still had to take a ton of metal off the rods to clear it. Rule number one on this kind of build is to make sure that whoever does the balance work on the assembly, has to be able to mock up your block with the camshaft in it, so he can make sure it's gonna clear the lobes. Can't wait to finish mine and get it under the hood.

I'm in the process of building a 383 right now using those same AFR specs mentioned above. It's got a SCAT 3.75 inch crank, SCAT 6 inch rods and Keith Black Hyper pistons. The guy that balanced it had to drill a ton of holes in the crankshaft counterweights to balance it out, so that lightened it up even more. Should spin up real nice. But the eXtreme energy roller cam is tough to fit in there. I even had them grind me a low base circle version of that 12-433-8 cam, and I still had to take a ton of metal off the rods to clear it. Rule number one on this kind of build is to make sure that whoever does the balance work on the assembly, has to be able to mock up your block with the camshaft in it, so he can make sure it's gonna clear the lobes. Can't wait to finish mine and get it under the hood.

Last edited by beanhead; 09-22-2003 at 01:28 PM.
Old 09-27-2003, 01:13 AM

I've built a few 383s..
For the street it was a stock top end lt1 motor.. Makes good low end torque. Hopefully it's putting out around 375 to 400 (hasn't been on the dyno or to the track yet).
Helped build our 383 for one of our drag cars we run which runs 9.30's in the 1/4 (5.80's 1/8th mile)
they have a lot of potential, depending on your setup and what you plan on doing with it.
I also know a guy that ran a 12.0 with a 383 in a 68 camaro. Dunno the exact specs. Its a street car so its nothing real radical.
Anyway, goodluck with it, like i said earlier if you do it yourself and you have a question ask someone that knows, no use in breaking expensive parts for one little mistake.
Old 11-26-2003, 11:25 PM

The first 383 engine was created by grinding .200 off the journals of a 400 crank so it would fit the 350 block. And yes, there are clearance problems with the camshaft. Probably the cheapest way to go is to get a 400 crank and have the journals ground AND have them "knife edge" the counterweights to add clearance. You will still have to grind a 45 degree angle on some of the rod bolts to clear the cam, even a reduced base circle cam. These engines are EXTREMELY tight with clearances on the inside, so like the man said fit it up as you go. The reason is that the 400 engine has a 1 inch taller deck than the 350, but the swap works because (primarily) they both use the 5.700 inch connecting rod. So when you cram that crank into a 350 block, one of the problems that nobody has mentioned is rod angle at 90 degrees of stroke. Since the deck is shorter and the rod length is the same, the engine can't make power as far down in the cylinder as the 400 or 350 can. Problem with the 400s is cooling, since they have a 4.125 inch bore. The bores are 'siamesed', with no water flow between cylinders. Not too good for building up. The 350 block waters but you have the rod angle question, which can mean brekage at high RPM. These motors also fall off drastically above 6500 (drag version) because of the rod angle geometry. They make a lot of torque, and low end horses, but they are really right on the edge and a savvy 350 builder will get you.
Good luck and happy hunting.
Old 01-08-2009, 05:52 AM

Last photo:

Quick Question

Hey guys, i see there hasnt been a post on here for 5 years, but the link given at the top for the 383 combos, would those combos still be good? Or would there be better combos since its 5 years later?

Thanks guys!
Old 04-26-2009, 11:23 PM

Quote:
The first 383 engine was created by grinding .200 off the journals of a 400 crank so it would fit the 350 block. And yes, there are clearance problems with the camshaft. Probably the cheapest way to go is to get a 400 crank and have the journals ground AND have them "knife edge" the counterweights to add clearance. You will still have to grind a 45 degree angle on some of the rod bolts to clear the cam, even a reduced base circle cam. These engines are EXTREMELY tight with clearances on the inside, so like the man said fit it up as you go. The reason is that the 400 engine has a 1 inch taller deck than the 350, but the swap works because (primarily) they both use the 5.700 inch connecting rod. So when you cram that crank into a 350 block, one of the problems that nobody has mentioned is rod angle at 90 degrees of stroke. Since the deck is shorter and the rod length is the same, the engine can't make power as far down in the cylinder as the 400 or 350 can. Problem with the 400s is cooling, since they have a 4.125 inch bore. The bores are 'siamesed', with no water flow between cylinders. Not too good for building up. The 350 block waters but you have the rod angle question, which can mean brekage at high RPM. These motors also fall off drastically above 6500 (drag version) because of the rod angle geometry. They make a lot of torque, and low end horses, but they are really right on the edge and a savvy 350 builder will get you.
Good luck and happy hunting.

I had to join just to comment on this statement above. Does this guy really have an idea what he is talking about. I don't think so. I call the BS card on that one. "A 1 inch taller deck on a 400." He needs to be writing for comedy central or something of that nature.
That's just my 2 cents worth...
The Following User Says Thank You to thesalvagearts For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2009, 09:24 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesalvagearts
I had to join just to comment on this statement above. Does this guy really have an idea what he is talking about. I don't think so. I call the BS card on that one. "A 1 inch taller deck on a 400." He needs to be writing for comedy central or something of that nature.
That's just my 2 cents worth...
Thanks for joining, and welcome to our site.

However, this post is 6 years old, the user you refer to hasn't posted in that long, someone dropped the b.s. flag on him long ago. With that said, I hope you stick around and contribute in a positive manner to the site.
Old 03-06-2011, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cllmewish
Im trying to find something like a, How To book on building a chevy 383 stroker. Sort of like a step by step book if they make something like that.
Thanks for any help.
There is a book by David vizard titled how to build max-power small blocks on a budget that has lots of info on 383 engine building.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tim Adams For This Useful Post:

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.