Lookie what I spied... - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2006, 10:56 PM
Young & Idealistic

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine
Last journal entry: 1950 Fargo - losing hope
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

I'm not putting you down man, just playing you in your own game

For $10k what I'd like to see in your T would be
-the grille shell cleaned up and painted to match the body
-the grille shell to be way lowered, nothing looks stupider than the shell sitting higher than the highest point of your cowl
-the headlights to be mounted lower, they look like huge bugeyes sticking out. If you flip through some traditional rod magazines you'll notice most of them mounted pretty low right beside the grille shell.
-the beer keg, its either gotta be mounted way lower, or a nice spun aluminum moon tank with a low profile should be used. It looks goofy and looks like its acting as your rollbar as it is the highest point of the rod
-the channel on the car seems way too drastic. The kickup in the rear looks goofy with the body so down low and the shell mounted high along with grasshopper style headlights. If you build a car low you build every aspect of it low. Your car has no flow, and the proportions seem off. If your channel wasnt as drastic you could've pulled it off, but with a way down low body and everything else way high, all Im left thinking is "what the heck was he on?"
-a painted frame. Dude this is a very little detail that doesnt cost a whole lotta money (15 bucks for enough Tremclad) and takes very little time. Your frame looks like it has surface rust already.
-painted or coated headers.
-no chalky primer. Maybe DP40 etch primer, it doenst turn chalky and its a flat gloss. Either that or a coat of paint, even flat paint. For 10k I'd expect a $400 maaco paint job at least. It's better than how it sits right now.
-a pickup bed or turtle deck in the rear. Right now it looks like a bad attempt at a Modified or Lakes Roadster. You didnt nail either look and what you ended up with is a somewhat goofy looking rendition of both.

Now, dont think Im just knocking you down and that Im a know-it-all 18 year old punk. I respect people older than me who have been at this game for quite some time before I was even born, and I respect every man who built his own hot rod like you have. I do like your wheel choice, the traditional approach and the overall simplicity of the ride. I also like the grille shell very much (just not the location) and that you used a genuine 1961 Beer Keg. But I think that car is not worth $10k, just like you dont think the Monte is worth $12k. I think if a little bit more planning was involved, and a little bit more attention was paid to detail and you wouldve went the extra mile to get paint on that thing, it could definitely be a sweet sweet ride. No hard feelings bro, we're about hot rods and yours is definitely a hot rod. Just like the Monte.

Mike

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2006, 11:41 PM
Where's my Sawzall?

Last wiki edit: Window removal and installation
Last journal entry: More progress...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

I got ya both beat, HERE is a ratrod...

Built with no plans, 4 donor vehicles, in 6 months and for under $900, including license plates and titling...

And it DOES have front brakes, BARELY!

Homebuilt frame with 4 link, original steel T coupe body with WORKING passenger door, 500 Cadillac/TH-400/ 18" narrowed (by me, at home)Dana 60 rear/31x18.5 Mickeys, Chevette independent frontend, Dodge truck radiator with homemade shell, Chevette column, Rabbit seat, 14 gallon boat tank, etc...

Doc
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	drchop1.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	5.4 KB
ID:	14613   Click image for larger version

Name:	drchop2.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	9.9 KB
ID:	14614  

Last edited by DrChop; 09-04-2006 at 11:50 PM.
Old 09-05-2006, 03:06 AM
Crazy Ole Ironhead

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

i have to agree on building a 500 horse 454 for 3k is a little under rated..ive put that much into small blocks that are just a little over stock HP for pickup trucks & thats not including buyin the engine since i already had them laying around..even if you bought a used 454 block & heads on Ebay that would at a minumum cost a grand IF it was any good when you received it..that only leaves 2 grand for the machine work & parts?..a little far fetched//oh..& ive been building my own engines since i was a teenager too so thats not including the labor costs...i deal on Ebay all the time.i agree you can get alot of good deals but for a 500 horse 454 or for that matter ANY engine with that much ponies..i wouldnt be buyin used parts for it exept maybe the short block..

an original numbers matchin or total restored 70-72 monte SS with a big block for 8K ???.........wish i could get the deals YOU see.......i'd retire...
Old 09-05-2006, 02:51 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodbuilder
Bud -you can't BUILD a nice shiny T-bucket for $10,000. But you'd have to know HOW to build one, before you set out to do it. I've built 3 rods in the past year, from the ground up and I can tell you what it takes to build one - right down to the nut and bolt.

But I guess MY time's not worth anything and yours is worth all the money in the world - right?

The thing about life is that you have to be able to AFFORD something before you can buy it. I build fast, one-of-a-kind rat rods that NO ONE will duplicate, so that when you go to a show, you don't have to worry about showing up in your "cookie-cutter". This car won a 3rd place trophy in the "street rod' class at an Iowa car show that had over 60 cars in its class. That was the day after I completed it and before it was even wired!!!

THAT'S why it's worth $10,000.

PS: Have you priced a complete dropped front axle and brakes lately???? Radiator? Heim joint? Tires & wheels? Oh yeah - they just give those Holley 600 carbs and aluminum intakes away - right???

DREAMER!!!!!
have you priced T buckets lately? this 1 is 10k buy it now, not a bad car.http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-...QQcmdZViewItem I realize your car that is for sale is not a cookie cutter ( because it's overall appearence is much diffrent than most T buckets ) but it still uses many cookie cutter parts like the tube axle and fiberglass '23 T body. as for calling me a Dreamer, that I'm not. My '51 Chevy was a car that I had dreams of building the car/ restoring it for 3 years driving by it, now 6 years later ( I'v had it since 2004 ) it's less of a dream and becoming more of a reality, it should be compleated sometime in the next few months.
Old 09-05-2006, 04:00 PM

Last wiki edit: Building a new shop
Last journal entry: Christmas 2008 came early!!!
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 54

Quote:
Yeah - and I see these clowns all the time saying that their car was "appraised for $32,000" etc. when they're asking $23,000 for the car.

If Joe Appraiser REALLY thought it was worth 32 grand, why didn't the guy sell it to HIM for $24,000? Sounds like a heck of a deal to me - huh???
Ummm... I had stated that the owner (and possibly builder) of this car said he had $40,000 in it. I don't know the guy, never called about the car, and have no real desire to purchase this particular car. However, I did post the pics because this is the type of car that does get my engine running. It is a very clean build, with no clutter crap stuff that doesn't belong on it. Clean lines, lengthy curves, near perfect paint, and that "just right" stance. (IMO anyway) But, to each his own.

Quote:
The ONLY 71 Monte Carlo that was worth $20,000, was the one that was never made!!! I sure hope no one is stupid enough to pay that much for it and then take it to barrett and try to profit on it. Boy would they get a schoolboy whippin'n that deal!!!
And I suppose that you'll also tell me that you'd never, ever try to turn a profit on a car by doing that. Bottom line, any car is only worth exactly what the next schmuck is willing to pay you for it. Barrett Jackson just thrives off those "investment car buyers" who exist solely to turn a profit off those guys who simply long to own the cars they couldn't afford "back in their youth". Somebody will buy this car, and I'm sure the builder feels no remorse in shelling out the $$$ he did to biuld it. I'm betting he had the same level of pride in building that car as you have in finishing yours. I'm not trying to judge, but I'm thinking that you'd be a bit offended if you heard somebody walk past your car and ask "What was this guy thinking?"

Quote:
Get serious guy. The car's not worth a dime over 8 grand and that's if it's BRAND NEW all around.
Again, see above.^^^ To somebody, it's worth it. I'm being serious here. It's the same deal as all those "kit car" '69 Camaros. Not worth as much a Little Red Wagon to me, but to a guy that had one/ sold it/ crashed it/always wanted one/ couldn't afford it then, well, it's worth 20 times the price. Again to each his own. Just keep in mind also, not everybody shops Ebay. If this guy bought brand new, that's his choice. I wouldn't fault him in the slightest. So why are you faulting him?? And also faulting me for seeing a ton of time and somebody's talent as a valuable car?? Granted, I haven't seen progressive pics of your buildups yet, but from the completed pic, I'd give you $4-6,000 maybe. But to each his own.

Quote:
A 500 horse engine can be made for as little as $3,000 - so figure that into the math.

Sure, Car Craft did it for less than $2,000. It's called nitrous oxide and an old 350. They got just shy of 600 hp before she blew. I for one don't want to do it that cheap.

Quote:
Bud -you can't BUILD a nice shiny T-bucket for $10,000. But you'd have to know HOW to build one, before you set out to do it. I've built 3 rods in the past year, from the ground up and I can tell you what it takes to build one - right down to the nut and bolt.

But I guess MY time's not worth anything and yours is worth all the money in the world - right?

The thing about life is that you have to be able to AFFORD something before you can buy it. I build fast, one-of-a-kind rat rods that NO ONE will duplicate, so that when you go to a show, you don't have to worry about showing up in your "cookie-cutter". This car won a 3rd place trophy in the "street rod' class at an Iowa car show that had over 60 cars in its class. That was the day after I completed it and before it was even wired!!!

THAT'S why it's worth $10,000.

I just have to ask then if you are not contridicting youself a bit here...Just check fellow member "cboy"s buildup of his rat on a shoestring. He built it for under $5,000, and is selling it for less than it's worth figuring his time and effort into it, IMHO. By that logic, then the owner of the Monte in question must either have gotten his parts given to him, or then his time and talents were not worthy of monetary return. As I see them, I'd take the "$8,000 tops" Monte over your $10,000 rat rod any day, any time. Personal preference, plain and simple. Nothing personal about your builds, but the looks just don't interest me in the slightest. Next, though, I suppose you'll tell me that I just have poor taste in cars, and no talent. Thanks for judging my bad taste. I like it. Enough said.

In a while, Chet.
Old 09-05-2006, 07:15 PM
It seemed like a good idea????

Last journal entry: Wheels
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Anyone seen Rodbuilder???????????????????

Nice work Schnitz, matt167, nightfire, etc etc.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.