Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - lookin for another opinion.
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2013, 09:05 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by s-10again! View Post
thanx vinnie. very much appreciated good insight. im all for learnin. I know these gentlemen are on a whole different knowledge level than I. so maybe give me some lessens. I learn from the why part of things. tell me why it is that way and ill make better judgements with that information. "posing", haha, was something less ambitious junior high kids did whene i was 16 years old...twelve years ago.
Try to not take it personal; the guys that build race winning engines tend to be busy guys (for obvious reasons) and have their way of doing things.

I spend 9/10s of my day working as an interface between Engineers, Gear Designers etc and the public, which can be concours restoration guys all the way to a retired gator wrangler looking to build a 2 speed dirt track gearbox will 11-cents in his pocket.

Theres always more wrong ways than right ways, but often there are several acceptable ways to get the job done. The short answer is to leave your 5L alone and build the balls-out 355 as a 383.

Im an ol farmboy and can understand the 'git r done' situation, I say use the 300-38 and whatever camshaft is almost at the top of the page.
As far as heads, truthfully it doesnt matter if youre serious about just driving this thing. Whatever works for your 305 is going to be almost assuredly dead wrong for your manly motor. Throw a set of 2 chamber welded mufflers on it and rattle your fillings loose
Keep us posted though, a lot of young guys are building 305s these days, so a good well written write-up here at HR.com would be greatly appreciated