Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - lookin for another opinion.
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2013, 09:34 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniekq2 View Post
AP72,you are one of the younger guns that understands the math in cam selection.You are correct that posting 102 icl was kind of random,the point being that a "low" number on the extreme end is intended. choppy idle,good cylinder pressure,longer duration for more RPMs,,,etc.
final decision is up to the user.Maybe post some of the cams you have used for small engines and the RPM range they worked best
that 274 cam will work really well, but for a bucks down 305 I would pair that with bowl ported and milled 305 vortec heads, a used RPM or similar intake, a cheap set of used headers (short or long, it depends on what you can find cheap), and a retuned 600cfm holley vac secondary carb with a rebuilt HEI dizzy running a ACDelco module and MSD coil (both are cheap and widely available and work well). Depending on where you find your used parts you could do the whole project for around $750 and end up with about 320hp, not huge numbers but respectable for cast away parts on a 305. Running 1.6 rockers would help a little too if you do a good job on the bowl porting.

For the final kick in the pants get a stall in the 2700-3200 range.

With all of that being said though if it were my car I'd just save that $750 and put it towards something better down the road. If you really just have to have that sound, doing a cam and muffler swap will get you that and be a lot cheaper and easier.