lookin for another opinion. - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2013, 12:55 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

If you just need a good running engine for now don't bother doing a damn tihng to the one you have. run it till it breaks then go on craigslist and find any other sbc (305, 307, 283, 350, it DOESNT MATTER) for a couple hundred bucks, and run that one till it pops. By then you should have enough saved up to build what you really want.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2013, 01:04 PM

well what fun is that?? i wanna build somethin cool with what i got. its a mental thing. you must understand?
Old 02-04-2013, 02:44 PM

Last photo:

cam

For stock purpose...summit kit with lifters k1103 or k1104. Both provide decent low end torque. Power band runs from 2,000 to 5,000 RPMs of course there are more radical cams, but you'll sacrifice low end power just so you can turn some higher RPMs. Thats just my thought and opinion. Kit with lifters and cam are $100.00...cant go wrong.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:51 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by s-10again! View Post
well what fun is that?? i wanna build somethin cool with what i got. its a mental thing. you must understand?
If you just want something "cool" then get a high stall, a lumpy cam, cheap headers and dual exhaust with Thrush welded mufflers. That'll get you the hotrod sound that so many people think is cool- it may not have the most power but it'll have that cool look and sound.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:23 PM

Last journal entry: 383 dyno sym
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap72 View Post
If you just want something "cool" then get a high stall, a lumpy cam, cheap headers and dual exhaust with Thrush welded mufflers. That'll get you the hotrod sound that so many people think is cool- it may not have the most power but it'll have that cool look and sound.
Ya know AP I was going to add something to this ,but when it gets to the poser level,I'm out.I don't get it.They post all the time what they can't afford to build something real,but can afford later as a do-over costing double.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:32 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Eh, its nothing new, most "500hp hotrods" at car shows can't run as fast as a stock V6 mustang, BUT they have the look and the sound, and for many that's all they want- I'm not here to tell them they're wrong as its their money and they can decide how to spend it.

There are also many crazy fast stock sounding cars out there that don't have the look or sound and many people don't see the point in that either.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:57 PM

you say to put tons of money at it whene i say no you call me a poser? i didnt say i want to beat a mustang with a 305. i want to go at 1400 rpm's 60 mph. and you think im a poser? well take your money to a forum that specializes in top fuel racing. because you are posting against the art of hotrodding on a hotrodders forum. anybody who wants to help me out with a parts list that is cheap and does what i want is free to post and i thank you for being a poser with me. by the way, if you cant help me take a 305 and do what i want with it then why do you post on a forum if you dont know jack? ok so you know the high dollar stuff? well then answer a question for somebody who wants to spend 7 grand on the engine alone just to go in a straight line for ten seconds. get over your selves so i might get some insight from knowledgeable hotrodders.

Last edited by s-10again!; 02-04-2013 at 08:03 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to s-10again! For This Useful Post:
prostreet6t9 (02-05-2013)
Old 02-04-2013, 08:31 PM

s-10again!
when you build a full race solid roller 355 you wont find many better than Gary1.He has experience with $40,000 plus engines.
true a 305 can perform fair,the biggest problem is the big crutch of a very small bore.Thats why fbird says to use a blower on them.A 305 compared to a 302 would get destroyed in a horse power comparison,because of that a lot of users/members do not put a lot of effort into making horse power with a 305. If you really want to put a little money in a 305 and want a lumpy idle,then use a low lift,tight lsa cam with a 102 icl and vortec heads.
look at tight circle track cams that use restricted valve lift cams
Old 02-04-2013, 10:09 PM

thanx vinnie. very much appreciated good insight. im all for learnin. I know these gentlemen are on a whole different knowledge level than I. so maybe give me some lessens. I learn from the why part of things. tell me why it is that way and ill make better judgements with that information. "posing", haha, was something less ambitious junior high kids did whene i was 16 years old...twelve years ago.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:25 AM
Differential/Driveline

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Gary View Post
Ya know AP I was going to add something to this ,but when it gets to the poser level,I'm out.I don't get it.They post all the time what they can't afford to build something real,but can afford later as a do-over costing double.
That was uncalled for!
Old 02-05-2013, 08:44 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniekq2 View Post
s-10again!
when you build a full race solid roller 355 you wont find many better than Gary1.He has experience with $40,000 plus engines.
true a 305 can perform fair,the biggest problem is the big crutch of a very small bore.Thats why fbird says to use a blower on them.A 305 compared to a 302 would get destroyed in a horse power comparison,because of that a lot of users/members do not put a lot of effort into making horse power with a 305. If you really want to put a little money in a 305 and want a lumpy idle,then use a low lift,tight lsa cam with a 102 icl and vortec heads.
look at tight circle track cams that use restricted valve lift cams
Vortec heads aren't needed for the sound, they will help flow somewhat and they have no exhaust crossover but they'll also reduce compression- they're not a perfect head for every street car. And the 305 Vortec heads will keep the compression up but they need some bowl work- again no free lunch.

Why 102 ICL? Of all of the cam specs they're are that one seem really random and arbitrary give no other information- that being said one of my favorite cams for a near stock engine does have a 102 ICL, 274h06, which is reboxed and sold by about 5 companies (Summit, Elgin, Comp, Howards, and maybe Melling?) is a pretty mild cam with a nice sound and can run on a cheap set of "z28" springs.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:04 AM

low icl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap72 View Post
Vortec heads aren't needed for the sound, they will help flow somewhat and they have no exhaust crossover but they'll also reduce compression- they're not a perfect head for every street car. And the 305 Vortec heads will keep the compression up but they need some bowl work- again no free lunch.

Why 102 ICL? Of all of the cam specs they're are that one seem really random and arbitrary give no other information- that being said one of my favorite cams for a near stock engine does have a 102 ICL, 274h06, which is reboxed and sold by about 5 companies (Summit, Elgin, Comp, Howards, and maybe Melling?) is a pretty mild cam with a nice sound and can run on a cheap set of "z28" springs.
AP72,you are one of the younger guns that understands the math in cam selection.You are correct that posting 102 icl was kind of random,the point being that a "low" number on the extreme end is intended. choppy idle,good cylinder pressure,longer duration for more RPMs,,,etc.
final decision is up to the user.Maybe post some of the cams you have used for small engines and the RPM range they worked best
Old 02-05-2013, 09:05 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by s-10again! View Post
thanx vinnie. very much appreciated good insight. im all for learnin. I know these gentlemen are on a whole different knowledge level than I. so maybe give me some lessens. I learn from the why part of things. tell me why it is that way and ill make better judgements with that information. "posing", haha, was something less ambitious junior high kids did whene i was 16 years old...twelve years ago.
Try to not take it personal; the guys that build race winning engines tend to be busy guys (for obvious reasons) and have their way of doing things.

I spend 9/10s of my day working as an interface between Engineers, Gear Designers etc and the public, which can be concours restoration guys all the way to a retired gator wrangler looking to build a 2 speed dirt track gearbox will 11-cents in his pocket.

Theres always more wrong ways than right ways, but often there are several acceptable ways to get the job done. The short answer is to leave your 5L alone and build the balls-out 355 as a 383.

Im an ol farmboy and can understand the 'git r done' situation, I say use the 300-38 and whatever camshaft is almost at the top of the page.
As far as heads, truthfully it doesnt matter if youre serious about just driving this thing. Whatever works for your 305 is going to be almost assuredly dead wrong for your manly motor. Throw a set of 2 chamber welded mufflers on it and rattle your fillings loose
Keep us posted though, a lot of young guys are building 305s these days, so a good well written write-up here at HR.com would be greatly appreciated
Old 02-05-2013, 09:12 AM

thank you guys. this is how people learn. i like this last post. gives me a little something to sink my teeth into. and i do not take it personally. i am a professional fisherman and i as well, dont care to hear other peoples fish stories because they suck compared to mine. i understand where the guys are coming from but i sure aint no damn poser, maybe a wannabee but everyone is a wannabee before they ARE.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:34 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniekq2 View Post
AP72,you are one of the younger guns that understands the math in cam selection.You are correct that posting 102 icl was kind of random,the point being that a "low" number on the extreme end is intended. choppy idle,good cylinder pressure,longer duration for more RPMs,,,etc.
final decision is up to the user.Maybe post some of the cams you have used for small engines and the RPM range they worked best
that 274 cam will work really well, but for a bucks down 305 I would pair that with bowl ported and milled 305 vortec heads, a used RPM or similar intake, a cheap set of used headers (short or long, it depends on what you can find cheap), and a retuned 600cfm holley vac secondary carb with a rebuilt HEI dizzy running a ACDelco module and MSD coil (both are cheap and widely available and work well). Depending on where you find your used parts you could do the whole project for around $750 and end up with about 320hp, not huge numbers but respectable for cast away parts on a 305. Running 1.6 rockers would help a little too if you do a good job on the bowl porting.

For the final kick in the pants get a stall in the 2700-3200 range.

With all of that being said though if it were my car I'd just save that $750 and put it towards something better down the road. If you really just have to have that sound, doing a cam and muffler swap will get you that and be a lot cheaper and easier.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.