lookin for another opinion. - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2013, 09:44 AM

Last journal entry: after much anticipation
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

let me chime my two cents in here s10again as i have built a few v8 s10s if your looking for a mean sounding quick truck thatll give several factory performance cars a run for their money keep the motor you got save your cash and turn that planned 355 into a 383 look around for deals on parts ebay is a good tool if you know what yor looking for just be careful its easy to get screwed do your research and find out what parts compliment each other if you want power down low build the whole engine that way. short wb s10s are a blast with a healthy v8 especially if you devote some of your budget to the suspension, but if you just want a truck with a nice rumble and a little grunt 305s can be built to an extent but your very limited because of bore size i dont even think your vortecs will work i believ youll have major valve clearance issues someone correct me if im wrong anyway i guess it all depends on how fast you want to go................happy rodding!!!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2013, 09:49 AM

Last photo:

s-10again, listen...you aren't a poser...I think everyone has to start somewhere. None of us in here started out by building a top fuel engine. I started out the same way you are, albeit, I didn't get any advice from a forum. The first cam I installed was way to big for my set up that it performed like crap. I learned and changed it. It was also how I begin to understand how and why things work in an engine. My mistakes allowed me to become familiar with the workings of an engine. If this is your first go round inside and engine, then there are many of us who are willing to walk you through things and guide you in some of your choices. Hotrodding is an enthusiasm and love of the mechanical wonder of engines...at least for me. I dont care if you're building a 600 hp small block stroker or a stock 305. You are still building an engine. It doesn't matter how much money you have to throw at that engine, its still your dream to build it and take pride in it. So do your budget build on that 305, extract the advice and opinions from those you feel will be helpful, and enjoy it until your next project presents itself.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:54 AM

Last photo:

opinion

Hey Superdime, just a quick question...I too have a s-series truck. Which do you feel works better ..a 4 link rear? or ladder bar suspension? Just not sure with the light rear ends these have which would allow it to hook better.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:11 AM

Last photo:

snake bit it all depends on how your gonna drive the truck if you wanna drag it and thats it ladder bars are the way to go move all the weight you can to the rear, battery(s) radiator etc and move the engine back as far as posslble and you will be surprised what these trucks can do even with modest horsepower if they can hook an are weighted right 9s and wheelies are not that far fetched now if your gonna do any cornering you have to go 4 link ladders will bind another way which is what i had on my current tuck are slide-a-links or brand name cal-tracs its like mixing leaf springs and a 4-link they even provide anti-squat adjustment and handle corners nicely plus they are easier to install and cheaper than a 4-link and hook beautifuly
Old 02-05-2013, 10:13 AM

Last photo:

sorry long answer short drags=ladder bars just all around hotrodding triangulated 4link if u got the cash cal-tracs if you dont i can get a bit long winded still not used to the forum thing yet
Old 02-05-2013, 10:26 AM

Last photo:

opinion

Superdime, thanks, I use it for 1/4 mile now. Best time of 10.16 without the NOS...but no consistency due to tire spin. Have a line on a 12 bolt with ladder bar set up and strange axles. Ladder bars with it for $1000.00. Thought thats how I'd go. Just need to get the coilovers and the crossmember for it. Appreciate your thoughts on this...confirmed what I was leaning towards. Want to put her in the mid 9's with the bottle this summer.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:30 AM

Last photo:

with that set up 9s should be easy
The Following User Says Thank You to superdime For This Useful Post:
snakebit68 (02-05-2013)
Old 02-05-2013, 10:36 AM

Last photo:

Opinion

Appreciate it.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:49 PM

Last photo:

lookin for another opinion.

s-10again, Check out this Summit Racing camshaft kit. The basic operating range is 1600-5200 which would be good for the 305 ci. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/su...make/chevrolet
Old 02-05-2013, 02:26 PM

201LR1
LR-1 2000-6200 .415 .000 264 224 107
HYDRAULIC .415 .000 264 224
a cam like this has a choppy idle,
could change a few specs,just a ball park idea
the cam CDminter recommends is more practical but will idle smooth
Old 02-06-2013, 07:55 AM

Last journal entry: 383 dyno sym
Last photo:

Mathematically it isn't that hard to figure what it would take to run a 9 second 3200lb truck.......well really not that hard for a mid 10 second truck either.We have done it for yrs but with a dedicated race 9.90 cars.

But neither of you S10 guys said anything about a roll bar......................

So as the saying goes:

Of time slips and trucks

Oh:

One more thing.If you listen and do what Vinnie,AP,CD,Tech,and a whole slew of guys tell you what to do,then you will learn and benefit from them.They have been there and know.Us,more yrs in 9.90 racing than I would want to admit to,with a national win which most can't claim in their whole career.I have seen 305's run strong on Thirdgen.com and many are well developed turbo cars.But for the most part the S10's fall out of competition after 10.90.

Don't forget the pix's of the roll bar in that mid 10 second truck....................
Old 02-06-2013, 01:18 PM

Last photo:

if your that interested you can watch my photo journal for when i build mine your partially right these trucks arent extemely quick if you dont get the weight in the right place BUT when weighted properly 9s are very attainable though i claim nothing of the sort for my truck but ive seen it done several times i think weve drifted off topic tho s10again i agree with what was alread sid if your 305 neds a freshen up do a basic rebuild and then save your money for whatever you truely want from your truck start buying parts now and by next tax time you could have a hot rod if everyone will allow me to call them that
Old 02-06-2013, 01:39 PM
Differential/Driveline

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Gary View Post
Mathematically it isn't that hard to figure what it would take to run a 9 second 3200lb truck.......well really not that hard for a mid 10 second truck either.We have done it for yrs but with a dedicated race 9.90 cars.

But neither of you S10 guys said anything about a roll bar......................

Of time slips and trucks

Oh:

One more thing.If you listen and do what Vinnie,AP,CD,Tech,and a whole slew of guys tell you what to do,then you will learn and benefit from them.They have been there and know.Us,more yrs in 9.90 racing than I would want to admit to,with a national win which most can't claim in their whole career.I have seen 305's run strong on Thirdgen.com and many are well developed turbo cars.But for the most part the S10's fall out of competition after 10.90.

Don't forget the pix's of the roll bar in that mid 10 second truck....................
Vinnie know's whats going on. Tech is very Book smart. Ap has never had a 10 second anything let alone something that runs.

You have a 9.90 class car? That really dont give you a reason to talk down to these new kids. These kids are the future of the hobby. So you have Wally? That is something to be proud of as those are hard to get. Congratulations!

No doubt the 9.90 cars are cool BUT so does 10K other racers. Really not a reason to put yourself up on a high chair. Now if your running in the Top Comp class.. Those guys are making big power. But still not a reason to trash these young kids. If you can help the kid then great. If not why post just to beat your chest?
Old 02-06-2013, 02:35 PM

Last journal entry: 383 dyno sym
Last photo:

Frankly some of the fondest memories I have was early on in my racing career when I raced heavy E.T. for three yrs in a Dodge Dart sport 340.As I got accustom to the car,I can remember nights when that car and me became one.I a zone so to speak.It was a donator in the class where I was consistently in the top 4 at three tracks.
What gets me typing is the cam companies selling cams based on what they "sound" like.I think that has undermined the performance industry and hot rodding in general because those cams generally don't mean anything and if misapplied actually can mean alot less.They are selling a mind game.

We all pretty much know about cam comparability and compression ratios.

Both of those guys have been effectively advised what to do.The choice is theirs.

Now..............how about those pixs of roll bars,time slips,and the trucks................
Old 02-06-2013, 06:26 PM
Differential/Driveline

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Gary View Post
Frankly some of the fondest memories I have was early on in my racing career when I raced heavy E.T. for three yrs in a Dodge Dart sport 340.As I got accustom to the car,I can remember nights when that car and me became one.I a zone so to speak.It was a donator in the class where I was consistently in the top 4 at three tracks.
What gets me typing is the cam companies selling cams based on what they "sound" like.I think that has undermined the performance industry and hot rodding in general because those cams generally don't mean anything and if misapplied actually can mean alot less.They are selling a mind game.

We all pretty much know about cam comparability and compression ratios.

Both of those guys have been effectively advised what to do.The choice is theirs.

Now..............how about those pixs of roll bars,time slips,and the trucks................
Not sure where you get this mid 10 second thing But OK,,,lmao
I get why the cam guys build these thumper cams. A lot of people just want the sound and really dont care how fast it is. Is it my thing? No. But if it make's the car owner happy I'm all for it as It's supporting our hobby.

Just as you could care less of a S10 Truck and trash on it because he dont have Roll Bars.. They could careless for your 9.90 car. To them they're car is just as important to them as your OMG 990 car is to you.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.