lookin for another opinion. - Page 4 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2013, 07:04 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreet6t9 View Post
Not sure where you get this mid 10 second thing But OK,,,lmao
I get why the cam guys build these thumper cams. A lot of people just want the sound and really dont care how fast it is. Is it my thing? No. But if it make's the car owner happy I'm all for it as It's supporting our hobby.

Just as you could care less of a S10 Truck and trash on it because he dont have Roll Bars.. They could careless for your 9.90 car. To them they're car is just as important to them as your OMG 990 car is to you.
thank you those are my feelings exactly. anyway, i enjoy a lopey sounding idle but the efficiency of the engine is more important and i want to roll along with loads of power down low. low as you can go. ill trade all my horsepower at 4500 RPMs for a couple foot pounds of torque at 1300 RPMs. lockup torque converter, 700R4 trans with manual valve bodies, 3.08 gears or less even. i wanna bring the gas pedal off idle and have the truck start to roll right along. if it lands me 25 second quarter miles im happy with that. couple truck guys i know said i can make it sound good with certain bends in the exhaust. i am really struggling to understand how these cam numbers affect the operation of an engine. this engine will see long road trips and probably NEVER see 5000 RPMs...it definatly wont unless im stupidly and unnessecarily swingin my junk around. website descriptions of the cam dont really tell me too much. i really need to have a custom ground camshaft if i want to really hit the nail on the head with this 305 engine. Or to atleast understand how the numbers affect certain qualities of an engine to pick one close enough to save some money. what would be some good cam numbers for a custom grind for the operation i want? or better yet, help me understand cam design and I might be able to make my own judgements on how to set up my camming. i would rather learn how to fugure all this out than to be told which one to get.

Advertisement

Last edited by s-10again!; 02-07-2013 at 07:25 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2013, 08:09 AM

Last journal entry: 383 dyno sym
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakebit68 View Post
Superdime, thanks, I use it for 1/4 mile now. Best time of 10.16 without the NOS...but no consistency due to tire spin. Have a line on a 12 bolt with ladder bar set up and strange axles. Ladder bars with it for $1000.00. Thought thats how I'd go. Just need to get the coilovers and the crossmember for it. Appreciate your thoughts on this...confirmed what I was leaning towards. Want to put her in the mid 9's with the bottle this summer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreet6t9 View Post
Not sure where you get this mid 10 second thing But OK,,,lmao
I get why the cam guys build these thumper cams. A lot of people just want the sound and really dont care how fast it is. Is it my thing? No. But if it make's the car owner happy I'm all for it as It's supporting our hobby.

Just as you could care less of a S10 Truck and trash on it because he dont have Roll Bars.. They could careless for your 9.90 car. To them they're car is just as important to them as your OMG 990 car is to you.

Do I really have to read to you??.Gezzzz!!!.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s-10again! View Post
thank you those are my feelings exactly. anyway, i enjoy a lopey sounding idle but the efficiency of the engine is more important and i want to roll along with loads of power down low. low as you can go. ill trade all my horsepower at 4500 RPMs for a couple foot pounds of torque at 1300 RPMs. lockup torque converter, 700R4 trans with manual valve bodies, 3.08 gears or less even. i wanna bring the gas pedal off idle and have the truck start to roll right along. if it lands me 25 second quarter miles im happy with that. couple truck guys i know said i can make it sound good with certain bends in the exhaust. i am really struggling to understand how these cam numbers affect the operation of an engine. this engine will see long road trips and probably NEVER see 5000 RPMs...it definatly wont unless im stupidly and unnessecarily swingin my junk around. website descriptions of the cam dont really tell me too much. i really need to have a custom ground camshaft if i want to really hit the nail on the head with this 305 engine. Or to atleast understand how the numbers affect certain qualities of an engine to pick one close enough to save some money. what would be some good cam numbers for a custom grind for the operation i want? or better yet, help me understand cam design and I might be able to make my own judgements on how to set up my camming. i would rather learn how to fugure all this out than to be told which one to get.
You learning this stuff yourself....now ya talking!.

I don't think you need a custom grind cam.What with all the cam companies the 305 is certainly well covered.

Not to discourage your project 305,but the physics works like this.Torque is the measurement of work done,right??. What follows along with that is the torque curve and at what point is starts to work. What rpm range. Typicality smaller c.i. engines have a higher rpm range where the torque curve begins. That is the laws of physics. Can you fool that some??. Sure,to a degree. The 305's because of the bore size shrouds the intake valve badly too. Yet there are cams out there that certainly will help. My point here is as long as you are walking through that decision door with your expectations given the above...eyes wide open,go for it.

I too suggest before you do a cam choice,you plan out from the T/C to the rear wheel size for a final gear ratio. Given what you have been saying a 3.42 rear end gear which is conservative might be a good trade off gear. Help you alittle on the bottom and still be a decent cruise gear for those 300 mile trips you want to take to a car show.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:33 AM

Last photo:

While I am still thinking about this,I'm as guilty as the next guy,we all on these sites give advise as to the question whether it be about cams or anything else and never say you should get a really good idea where your at with the engine your working on.Read the plugs,do a compression test,leakdown test.Get a really good handle on that before you do any mods.It's in the long run in your best interests and considerate of your limited budget.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:53 AM
Differential/Driveline

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Gary View Post
While I am still thinking about this,I'm as guilty as the next guy,we all on these sites give advise as to the question whether it be about cams or anything else and never say you should get a really good idea where your at with the engine your working on.Read the plugs,do a compression test,leakdown test.Get a really good handle on that before you do any mods.It's in the long run in your best interests and considerate of your limited budget.
Now there's some good advice! Its nice to see someone offer good info instead of talking down and slamming someone.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:54 AM

Last photo:

opinion

Not sure who the post was meant for concerning s-10 roll bars. But if by chance it was directed to me...my s-15 does have roll bars...cert for 8.50's. Cant run at the track without it. But back on task...s-10 again, you can build yourself a inexpensive 305 that will provide the torque you want. I get your picture of what you're after. You can make a very streetable and driver friendly ride without alot of money. Cam specs are just numbers that confuse the average joe...everyone means well with the cams they recommend, but it may come accross as a foreign language to some. Most of them have been "in the game" allong time and those numbers translate into a larger picture for them, myself included. Decide on where your compression is going to be, what heads you're going to use, and how you're going to drive it...then decide on a cam. It sounds like you want off-idle performance through 4500 rpm. Keep the power down low. I'd direct you towards an RV cam, because it keeps the power down in the low RPM's.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:46 PM
Differential/Driveline

Last photo:

[QUOTE=snakebit68;1643720]Not sure who the post was meant for concerning s-10 roll bars. But if by chance it was directed to me...my s-15 does have roll bars...cert for 8.50's.

Your car has a roll bar? Mine does too!! Our cars must be rreeeaaalllyyy fast!
Old 02-07-2013, 08:47 PM

Last photo:

opinion

Yes, my roll bar must be good for at least 40-50 hp. LOL .I'll bet you have a little more room in your camaro for a roll bar then I have in my truck. Cramps the interior just a bit.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:49 PM

Last photo:

opinion

have you run that camaro down the track or is it just for cruising? Beautiful car either way.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:01 PM

Last photo:

This is our busy time in the build/parts business so I'm on the site and then not.

I wouldn't recommend a RV style cam for your 305.I think it will fall short of your expectations.

I won't answer your banter from either of you guys.But still haven't seen pixs of the 10 second truck or of the time slip.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:12 AM

Last photo:

upinion

resized a couple pics of my truck in my album. I'll do some more tomorrow. I dont feel the need to get in a pissing match with anyone on here, thats not why I joined. I joined because I share a passion for cars, fast or slow. I've been building race cars since I was 16 and love to share some of the things I've learned over the years...and I also enjoy learning new things as well. I certainly dont know everything and wouldnt claim to. I also dont have an ego that gets in my way of learning.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:11 AM
Differential/Driveline

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakebit68 View Post
have you run that camaro down the track or is it just for cruising? Beautiful car either way.
Thanks!That"s nice to hear someone who likes your work. Other than the back half I've built it all.

I've had it at the track a couple times and it runs 10.0X's on a easy tune. If I lean on it a little I've ran some high 9.90's on Big Hoosier's. I'm hoping I can best that with some slicks and put the motor on kill. Lately I've just been doing the car show's and cruise inn's and working on the Red 68.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:28 AM

Last photo:

opinion

Protreet6t9 10's are screaming...especially on a light tune. Got a ton of question for you about your car. So holler at a guy on the private message to talk shop sometime.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:53 PM
Differential/Driveline

Last photo:

Here's a pic of the inside.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Camaro roll bar.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	7.0 KB
ID:	71251  
The Following User Says Thank You to prostreet6t9 For This Useful Post:
1Gary (02-10-2013)
Old 02-14-2013, 10:56 AM

allright, i think i kno what i want to do for this 305 thing. took a little advise from f-bird and i am going to invest in an intake manifold for vortecs(taking opinions on intake choice), check, resurface and then reshen up and little die grinder action of my pair of l31 vortecs as well as add some roller tip rockers with the grooved fulcrum balls, .015 head gasket, summit #2 hydraulic flat camshaft and lifters, double roller. block will go to the machine shop to be checked and bored to .040 to match summit brand hyper flattop 4 valve .040 over's. summit $120 entire distributor kit everything but spark plugs. plugs will be AC-MR44T's or AC-MR44LTS's(taking opinions on plugs as well). patriot s-10 mid length 1.5" tube 2.5" collector headers with true duals 2" with h pipe(olso considering exhaust ideahs). carb will be a rochester Q-jet set up lean. any rochester guys chime in with jet considerations. i have hardly a clue on resetting a carb to a different engine. i can clean and reset one that ran before no problems but i have a 350 carb i want to use for the 305. my guess is mileage and response will suffer unless i change a few things(correct me if i am wrong please). ive decided that this engine will be in the truck for a long time so i should make it at least a good engine on a budget instead of a low buck pile of money. this engine will be highly satisfying to me. please add to my setup here especially if its a cheap or free upgrade with any insight. should i open up oil galleys deburr water jackets...also how do you "port match" I LOVE to tinker. thanx

Last edited by s-10again!; 02-14-2013 at 11:03 AM.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:34 PM

looks like you are well on your way to a 14 second mini truck,have fun with it

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.