Looking for 25 mpg from my T-bucket - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 08-25-2010, 01:14 PM
adantessr's Avatar
'23 T-Bucket Pickup
 
Last wiki edit: Troubleshooting ignition Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: South Charleston , WV
Age: 62
Posts: 1,549
Wiki Edits: 3

Thanks: 43
Thanked 17 Times in 15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbolover
If you have more time than money get a electric grinder and some cartridge rolls. Do a rering on your engine and clean up all of the casting. I know a guy that cleaned up every little nook ad cranny. It won't make a huge difference but it helps and it gives you something to do. Anoyher thought is cosmetics, paint and upholstery. Another idea is to watch ebay or craigslist for some old hot rod parts you can restore and put on your ride- it always looks better when its rebuilt and not bought new.
I have a picture of my bucket on my profile . Haven't been able to post it anywhere else . Take a look and tell me what you think . The picture is in attachments .

    Advertisement

Last edited by adantessr; 08-25-2010 at 01:20 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 08-25-2010, 01:24 PM
Member
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Missouri
Posts: 466
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can't find the pic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 08-25-2010, 01:31 PM
adantessr's Avatar
'23 T-Bucket Pickup
 
Last wiki edit: Troubleshooting ignition Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: South Charleston , WV
Age: 62
Posts: 1,549
Wiki Edits: 3

Thanks: 43
Thanked 17 Times in 15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbolover
I can't find the pic.
Okay , I finally figured out how to get some pictures on here .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HENRY -WVSP APPROVED VERSION 006.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	1.22 MB
ID:	47684   Click image for larger version

Name:	HENRY -WVSP APPROVED VERSION 004.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	1.30 MB
ID:	47685   Click image for larger version

Name:	HENRY -WVSP APPROVED VERSION 005.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	1.27 MB
ID:	47686   Click image for larger version

Name:	HENRY -WVSP APPROVED VERSION 001.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	1.27 MB
ID:	47687  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 08-25-2010, 01:37 PM
OneMoreTime's Avatar
Hotrodders.com moderator
 
Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Washington State
Age: 69
Posts: 7,240
Wiki Edits: 3

Thanks: 38
Thanked 128 Times in 124 Posts
the trick to getting good mileage out of a 4bbl is to set it up so the secondarys only come in when you punch it..Set the carb up so you can run say at 60 on only the primaries..Worked out for me..

Sam
__________________
I have tried most all of it and now do what is known to work..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 08-25-2010, 02:19 PM
T-bucket23's Avatar
Hotrodders.com Moderator
 
Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Massachusetts
Age: 57
Posts: 5,108
Wiki Edits: 26

Thanks: 7
Thanked 105 Times in 90 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by adantessr
Yeah , I also thought about the aerodynamics of the 20" tall windshield . But then I thought , Hmmm my '78 K-10 was pretty tall also considering the grill area (huge) and the windshield . Just about all of my cruising is done at 40 to 50 mph . That is the speed limits on McCorkle Ave which runs for about 30 mi just a half mi from my house .
The flat windshield is a killer, you can really feel the effects once you get up over 65 or so.
__________________
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity



Chet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #21 (permalink)  
Old 08-25-2010, 03:17 PM
Member
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Missouri
Posts: 466
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
windshield?! What happened to the old aviator goggles? In my mind roofs and windshields do not belong on T buckets. Nice car though, not my style, but still nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #22 (permalink)  
Old 08-25-2010, 10:17 PM
adantessr's Avatar
'23 T-Bucket Pickup
 
Last wiki edit: Troubleshooting ignition Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: South Charleston , WV
Age: 62
Posts: 1,549
Wiki Edits: 3

Thanks: 43
Thanked 17 Times in 15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbolover
windshield?! What happened to the old aviator goggles? In my mind roofs and windshields do not belong on T buckets. Nice car though, not my style, but still nice.
I took the top off after about two weeks of running with it despite resistance from the wife . I like it a lot better without it and have no plans to reinstall it . I think it has a permanent home in the storage building . As far as the windshield goes , it stays , I don't like all the wind in the face that you get without one . All that pressure in the face and chest is fatiguing . I learned that on long trips with a motorcycle . Arrived feeling much fresher after I started using a windshield .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #23 (permalink)  
Old 08-26-2010, 06:07 AM
cobalt327's Avatar
WFO
 
Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Atlanta
Age: 59
Posts: 5,037
Wiki Edits: 1616

Thanks: 128
Thanked 597 Times in 546 Posts
Big, did you ever get to the bottom of why (or how) your TH350C was locking up the TC w/o the electrical connections being made?

Because if there's ANY chance the trans isn't locking, that can get you 1-2 mpg, possibly a little more, depending.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #24 (permalink)  
Old 08-26-2010, 08:47 AM
adantessr's Avatar
'23 T-Bucket Pickup
 
Last wiki edit: Troubleshooting ignition Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: South Charleston , WV
Age: 62
Posts: 1,549
Wiki Edits: 3

Thanks: 43
Thanked 17 Times in 15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
Big, did you ever get to the bottom of why (or how) your TH350C was locking up the TC w/o the electrical connections being made?

Because if there's ANY chance the trans isn't locking, that can get you 1-2 mpg, possibly a little more, depending.
Thanks for asking cobalt . I did determine that it is a T350C with the lockup converter . Someone must have gotten into it and done someting because it definitely goes into lockup . I can tell for sure just watching the tach as I cruise along and accelerate (not enough to cause a downshift) and decelerate , it acts just like it is a standard transmission. It does run GOOD and I may be getting better mileage than I think . It seems like I use a lot of gas because I have to fill up so often with the 8 gal tank . I will check the mileage over the next couple of fill-ups and let you know how it comes out .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #25 (permalink)  
Old 08-26-2010, 09:14 AM
cobalt327's Avatar
WFO
 
Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Atlanta
Age: 59
Posts: 5,037
Wiki Edits: 1616

Thanks: 128
Thanked 597 Times in 546 Posts
Sounds as though yours is set up to work hydraulically. Will your trans 'unlock' when you accelerate in high gear, like the vacuum operated OEM set up did?

Mine (in an '80 Malibu w/the TH350C) has the fender well-mounted vacuum switch and it will disengage the torque converter lock up when the vacuum drops to about 2.5 in/Hg or so (in other words, you are stepping down on the pedal pretty hard). Step a little harder and it would downshift to second, i.e. "passing gear".

When I had bypassed the inline vacuum delay valve, the TC would lock up as soon as the trans shifted to high gear, but then the TC wouldn't unlock. I didn't care for that at all- you got no unlock until you hit passing gear, and at speeds above where the trans would downshift to second, the torque converter was still locked up. Not good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #26 (permalink)  
Old 08-26-2010, 09:43 AM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: NY
Posts: 157
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by adantessr
....It does run GOOD and I may be getting better mileage than I think . It seems like I use a lot of gas because I have to fill up so often with the 8 gal tank . I will check the mileage over the next couple of fill-ups and let you know how it comes out .
Check this out. You may find it easier to track & record your MPG. I initially signed up to track my TDI mileage, but I also put my old thursty Vette on it too

http://www.fuelly.com/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #27 (permalink)  
Old 08-26-2010, 10:32 AM
adantessr's Avatar
'23 T-Bucket Pickup
 
Last wiki edit: Troubleshooting ignition Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: South Charleston , WV
Age: 62
Posts: 1,549
Wiki Edits: 3

Thanks: 43
Thanked 17 Times in 15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
Sounds as though yours is set up to work hydraulically. Will your trans 'unlock' when you accelerate in high gear, like the vacuum operated OEM set up did?

Mine (in an '80 Malibu w/the TH350C) has the fender well-mounted vacuum switch and it will disengage the torque converter lock up when the vacuum drops to about 2.5 in/Hg or so (in other words, you are stepping down on the pedal pretty hard). Step a little harder and it would downshift to second, i.e. "passing gear".

When I had bypassed the inline vacuum delay valve, the TC would lock up as soon as the trans shifted to high gear, but then the TC wouldn't unlock. I didn't care for that at all- you got no unlock until you hit passing gear, and at speeds above where the trans would downshift to second, the torque converter was still locked up. Not good.
Cobalt , It seems to be in lockup whenever it is in 3rd speed , but I have noticed that if I accelerate from a stop at just a little more throttle , like a 1/4 throttle, that the shift to 3rd is so smooth that I don't really feel it , so I am really not totally sure what is going on . If I am barely accelerating though , it seems to go to 3rd too soon and straight to lockup and then I have to give it a little more throttle and then it downshifts back to 2nd . Maybe you can tell me what I need to do to make this work better . Dec, Jan , Feb here are too cold to ride so I'm up for anything then .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #28 (permalink)  
Old 08-26-2010, 10:42 AM
cobalt327's Avatar
WFO
 
Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Atlanta
Age: 59
Posts: 5,037
Wiki Edits: 1616

Thanks: 128
Thanked 597 Times in 546 Posts
That's just it- I don't know how the tranny is able to tell that you're accelerating enough to want the TC to unlock, but not so much acceleration as to cause the downshift to second. But what you describe seems perfectly normal, except the immediate lockup of the TC and it not unlocking at anything less than a passing gear downshift. You would like it to unlock at moderate acceleration, w/o the trans downshifting into second.

If yours is behaving like mine did when I bypassed the delay valve, it's going into lockup as soon as it goes into high, then won't unlock until second gear is selected- either by manually downshifting, matting the throttle to get passing gear, or slowing down to the point that the trans goes into second gear by the governor.

The way mine works (with vacuum/electric switch), the TC also unlocks when I hit the brakes. This is done w/the brake light switch. I doubt seriously if yours will do this, either.

Bottom line, it seems that you have full-time lockup in high gear, regardless of engine load or throttle position. In your lightweight T-roddy, I doubt that is much of an issue. In my wagon, it would be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #29 (permalink)  
Old 08-26-2010, 10:52 AM
adantessr's Avatar
'23 T-Bucket Pickup
 
Last wiki edit: Troubleshooting ignition Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: South Charleston , WV
Age: 62
Posts: 1,549
Wiki Edits: 3

Thanks: 43
Thanked 17 Times in 15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
That's just it- I don't know how the tranny is able to tell that you're accelerating enough to want the TC to unlock, but not so much acceleration as to cause the downshift to second. But what you describe seems perfectly normal, except the immediate lockup of the TC and it not unlocking at anything less than a passing gear downshift. You would like it to unlock at moderate acceleration, w/o the trans downshifting into second.

If yours is behaving like mine did when I bypassed the delay valve, it's going into lockup as soon as it goes into high, then won't unlock until second gear is selected- either by manually downshifting, matting the throttle to get passing gear, or slowing down to the point that the trans goes into second gear by the governor.

The way mine works (with vacuum/electric switch), the TC also unlocks when I hit the brakes. This is done w/the brake light switch. I doubt seriously if yours will do this, either.

Bottom line, it seems that you have full-time lockup in high gear, regardless of engine load or throttle position. In your lightweight T-roddy, I doubt that is much of an issue. In my wagon, it would be.
Yup , You're right . It really isn't much of an issue considering I am only running about 7lbs per horsepower with my 300 lb carcass aboard .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #30 (permalink)  
Old 08-26-2010, 11:02 AM
cobalt327's Avatar
WFO
 
Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Atlanta
Age: 59
Posts: 5,037
Wiki Edits: 1616

Thanks: 128
Thanked 597 Times in 546 Posts
What would be trick, is to have a switched valve that would allow non-lockup until you threw the switch. It probably wouldn't have been a hard to do addition, if you were to have had the chance to do it w/the trans apart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Summer to Winter MPG awbazar Hotrodding Basics 1 07-17-2010 12:58 PM
More Holley to Q-jet MPG results 454C10 Engine 15 10-09-2007 09:56 AM
T bucket parts Tbucketman Body - Exterior 4 03-12-2007 05:06 PM
For what it's worth, 2-3 lockup 700R4 good for 1 MPG LanceM Transmission - Rearend 2 06-22-2006 04:43 PM
Help with MPG BillyBob1950 Engine 1 11-27-2002 09:40 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.