Looking for 25 mpg from my T-bucket - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2010, 11:16 AM
'23 T-Bucket Pickup

Last wiki edit: Troubleshooting ignition Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
What would be trick, is to have a switched valve that would allow non-lockup until you threw the switch. It probably wouldn't have been a hard to do addition, if you were to have had the chance to do it w/the trans apart.
That's actually what I was thinking about . I may be able to find an article on how to do that somewhere . Should only have to drop the valve body to do the necessry mods , you think ? I'm game for anything , not afraid to get into anything as long as I have the literature to guide me . I used to work on 240 ton trucks with a 2.4 million $ price tag .

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2010, 11:26 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

I know I've not seen anything so far, on modding the TH350C to only hydraulically controlled lockup, but I'm sure if it's doable (as it seems it must be) there will be something out there on it.

If I see anything, I'll let you know and vice versa. Maybe between us we can get to the bottom of it.
Old 08-26-2010, 12:49 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

The TH350C TCC Lockup works off pressure from the Governor oil circuit. You can delay Lockup by changing the Pressure switch. They are available from 44psi to 54psi in 2psi increments, maybe more but, that's all I've seen.>> http://www.transpartsonline.com/tpfi...sPartsType=350 higher psi switch will delay Lockup. A low pressure switch may have no delay at all.
Old 08-26-2010, 04:44 PM
'23 T-Bucket Pickup

Quote:
I know I've not seen anything so far, on modding the TH350C to only hydraulically controlled lockup, but I'm sure if it's doable (as it seems it must be) there will be something out there on it.

If I see anything, I'll let you know and vice versa. Maybe between us we can get to the bottom of it.
Sounds great Cobalt . You have been a great help and encouragement to me in gettin' my hands dirty again on some good ol' gas powered iron after a 25 yr break . It's a big change from the big iron at surface coal mines .
Old 08-26-2010, 04:51 PM
'23 T-Bucket Pickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSedan64
The TH350C TCC Lockup works off pressure from the Governor oil circuit. You can delay Lockup by changing the Pressure switch. They are available from 44psi to 54psi in 2psi increments, maybe more but, that's all I've seen.>> http://www.transpartsonline.com/tpfi...sPartsType=350 higher psi switch will delay Lockup. A low pressure switch may have no delay at all.
Thanks . I checked the website and added it to my faves for future ref' .
Old 08-26-2010, 07:26 PM
'23 T-Bucket Pickup

Whew , After lots of looking , here's what I think .

Okay from my basic knowledge of hydraulic solenoids they are either NO or NC depending on application . It seems that the lockup solenoid for a T350C would have to be NC as it takes power to get pressure to the lockup clutch in the torque converter . If somehow someone managed to make the solenoid stay open , (I'd have to take it out to see how it's made to see what was done) it would work just like a stuck open solenoid and that would make the trans go straight to lockup without an electrical signal . A kit from B&M to make it work like factory on a non computer car is $186 and change . So what I'm thinking is that if I put in a new lockup solenoid and control it with a toggle switch ................. Okay . So the next thing to do is take out the solenoid and check it . I'll keep you posted what I find when I check it next week . We will be out of town this weekend .
Old 08-26-2010, 08:42 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

The simplified diagram is from a source that I don't recall, the diagram for the '80 'Vette is identical to my '80 Malibu except for mine having no cruise control. The B&M PDF is of a kit sold by them, possibly the one you mentioned above.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp TCC WIRING DIAGRAM.bmp (525.0 KB, 24 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf TCC 80 vette.pdf (45.9 KB, 29 views)
File Type: pdf TCC LOCK UP B&M GOOD.pdf (135.1 KB, 43 views)
Old 08-26-2010, 08:55 PM
'23 T-Bucket Pickup

Quote:
The simplified diagram is from a source that I don't recall, the diagram for the '80 'Vette is identical to my '80 Malibu except for mine having no cruise control. The B&M PDF is of a kit sold by them, possibly the one you mentioned above.
Thanks cobalt . The B&M kit is the same one I looked at on their website . I'm curious now to see what I can do with my lockup. I was even thinking of wiring the solenoid to open when I set my cruise control , but I don't want to void the 3 yr warranty on my Rostra cruise control but cutting into the wiring harness .
Old 08-26-2010, 10:38 PM
'23 T-Bucket Pickup

Making the lockup torque, switch controllable again

I found an old post (2007) on here that talked about blocking the spool for the lockup torque . So , I am just crazy enough that I am going to have to see what I can learn by dropping the pan and taking a look in there one of these days .

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.