Looking for a 350 4 bolt mains - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2013, 09:57 AM
Mekanicus Automotive Group

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Jeez Folks, what happened to being nice?

Okay, lets take a breather here.......Okay.
Sounds like you are looking for an older, restoration correct or period correct block for that machine of his. My advice happens to be what I tell other hotrodders in my area when looking for specifics;
Go junkyarding. Take your little telescopic mirror and look for trucks with 350's in them. Look for the 010 casting on the side of the block. You'd be surprised how many you can find. We've been doing this for years finding good cores for our racing engines., using the 010 blocks an unique cranks to make our Chevy 302's for vintage Trans Am racing. Most are in fair shape and usually only need .030 overbore to clean them up. As for ordering one up, brand new never run, be prepared to shell out over 600 bucks at the GM parts house, or 400 from a supplier. The nice thing about junkyarding, is if you have the time to pop the timing cover and cam gear off of a perspective engine, you can check the core-shift of the camshaft in the block. The more centered it is, the better.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2013, 10:37 AM

Last journal entry: 383 dyno sym
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedshift_Sam View Post
Okay, lets take a breather here.......Okay.
Sounds like you are looking for an older, restoration correct or period correct block for that machine of his. My advice happens to be what I tell other hotrodders in my area when looking for specifics;
Go junkyarding. Take your little telescopic mirror and look for trucks with 350's in them. Look for the 010 casting on the side of the block. You'd be surprised how many you can find. We've been doing this for years finding good cores for our racing engines., using the 010 blocks an unique cranks to make our Chevy 302's for vintage Trans Am racing. Most are in fair shape and usually only need .030 overbore to clean them up. As for ordering one up, brand new never run, be prepared to shell out over 600 bucks at the GM parts house, or 400 from a supplier. The nice thing about junkyarding, is if you have the time to pop the timing cover and cam gear off of a perspective engine, you can check the core-shift of the camshaft in the block. The more centered it is, the better.

Tell you what Sam.The core shift mith and the whole idea of "10" blocks is just that.We have found in machining blocks without core shift o be thin and core shift blocks to be good.Some believe the "10" blocks machine better.But we have found that not true.

Period correct blocks include the stamp code on the passenger front of the block and must be considered.That means also NO decking of the block.
Old 12-05-2013, 12:17 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

you're better of with a "used" block that has been remachined. A new block can have tolerances all over the place, I'd search your local machinists for a good block that has been "refinished".

IF you have the money going with a Dart SHP block will allow him a bigger engine and much better reliability, they aren't cheap when compared to a used block, but for what you get many people consider them to be one hell of a deal.
Old 12-05-2013, 05:40 PM
Wrench Turner

Last photo:

I've seen 4 or 5 of the 010 blocks on EBay ranging in price from $170 for a ruff looking standard bore that is spose to have been magged & crackfree to $1000 for a fully machined ready to build block.Shipping would be the catch tho.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:33 PM
A few muscle cars & a Corvair

Last journal entry: continued
Last photo:

What happened to the original block that it can't be salvaged ??? Unless a rod went thru the side, they can be saved from most anything if it is important to have the original engine.
Old 12-06-2013, 01:01 AM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last journal entry: mopar hump back
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by raidmagic View Post
So delete it, I don't care I was just trying to be helpful.
I'm no moderator LOL I was just trying to help by telling you to PM her ! because I know they delete responses like yours Actually I wish members could post what they need and other members could help, even send what you need free(just shipping or mail) A lot of us would do that!! I have on these pages in the past But the rules say we have to do it in the classifieds

Jester

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.